Westeros Afterlife: Hell? Heaven? Valhalla?

Irelands Gemstone

I dont think its ever specified what the characters believe awaits them after death, George mentions that The Faith of the Seven is partially a jab at Catholicism.

A lot of characters, even those who worship the old gods come out with the phrase ''Seven hells'' Jon Snow, Eddard Stark (and old Rob for the seven) which implies that both, or one of the religions believe in a system of seven hells, perhaps a bit along the lines of the Divine Comedy (Dantes Inferno)

It seems like a gaping hole in the logic of someone who has spent a great deal of effort designing a great set of religions.

I would assume all of the major religions have reincarnation as a central theme, as they are all modeled on real life religions, and all of the major religions (the big 5) are big because they focus on some form of existence after death.

I dont think its ever specified what the characters believe awaits them after death

It has been stated that the Faith of the 7 preaches the existence of 7 heavens and 7 hells (depending on how you behaved in life, one would assume).

The CotF have a pantheistic become-one-with-nature-and-the-trees-and-the-roots afterlife which probably has been incorporated into human beliefs of the worshipers of the Old Gods.

The Drowned Faith teaches about feasting in the Drowned God's halls (something Valhalla like).

The Dothraki believe you can be gathered for the starry khalassar and ride across the sky, but if you don't make the cut, you'll be reincarnated again.

I think the only major religion whose the afterlife is unknown to us is the Red Faith.

The fact that they mention Hells all the time actually reminds me of Buddhism and ancient Chinese beliefs of Diyu, where as far as I understand it all souls eventually go in some form of hell that each have different characteristics depending on the soul in question. When Tyrion talks about his father, for instance, he sometimes muses something along the lines of, "I hope he is in some nice cold hell" which implies that there are different potential hells and that at least one of them could be a cold one.

As far as the references go, I always just assumed that it was because of the same reason why atheists say things like, "Oh my God,"; it just became part of the Common Tongue after centuries of cultural osmosis, even if the speakers don't necessarily share the faith.

It has been stated that the Faith of the 7 preaches the existence of 7 heavens and 7 hells (depending on how you behaved in life, one would assume).

The CotF have a pantheistic become-one-with-nature-and-the-trees-and-the-roots afterlife which probably has been incorporated into human beliefs of the worshipers of the Old Gods.

The Drowned Faith teaches about feasting in the Drowned God's halls (something Valhalla like).

The Dothraki believe you can be gathered for the starry khalassar and ride across the sky, but if you don't make the cut, you'll be reincarnated again.

I think the only major religion whose the afterlife is unknown to us is the Red Faith.

Nice summary of Westeros metaphysics. Mel says death by fire is purest death and I think Vic mentions that also, it purifies the soul, some kind of transformation of living being into pure spirit, probably an abstract, sterile monotheistic Paradise. I prefer the Drowned Gods watery halls where you can eat, drink and be merry.

Maester Aemon to Sam:

"Death should hold no fear for a man as old as me, but it does. Isn't that silly? It is always dark where I am, so why should I fear the darkness? Yet I cannot help but wonder what will follow, when the last warmth leaves my body. Will I feast forever in the Father's golden hall as the septons say? Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children? What if the horselords have the truth of it? Will I ride though the night sky forever on a stallion made of flame? Or must I return to this vale of sorrow? Who can say, truly? Who has been beyond the wall of death to see? Only the wights, and we know what they are like. We know."

Archived