What are you reading in August ?

AncalagonTheBlack

Trying to listen to the Way of Shadows (Night Angel prt 1) and at 8 hrs in, I've got to give up. Does this trilogy get better? Mainly, I hate the narrator and the names are absurd which makes it really tough to listen to but I may try to give it a read if things improve. Also reading Emperor of Thorns and listening to Initiate Brother.

I don't know how far 8 hours is but I started enjoying The Way of Shadows much more about 200 pages in. It's when the narrative starts jumping forward in time.

I flew through the forth Emperor's Edge book. The series is a great pallet cleanser, so easy to read.

Now reading The Tainted City, which I acquired by joking around with the author on Twitter. How cool is that? Hope it is as good as Whitefire Crossing.

Spent last night reading Alison Littlewood's A Cold Season, which was a pleasure. Old-fashioned "new residents uncover sinister doings in small town" horror, but genuinely spooky, and psychologically intense. It came out in the UK last year, and will be published in the US next month.

Now I'm back to Taiye Selasi's Ghana Must Go. Next up are Edwidge Danticat's Claire of the Sea Light and Aimee Bender's The Color Master.

I breezed to Krakauer's' Where Men Win Glory. Pretty good non-fiction there, and Krakauer is among the best journalist-style authors to give you the full picture of what he's presenting.

I'm going to read Daniel Abraham's "The Dragon's Path" after being lured to it by Tears of Lys' comments.

I finally finished up To Green Angel Tower by Tad Williams. The "trilogy" (it's totally a quartet!) was in some stretches horrifically boring and in others somewhat intriguing. I'm not sorry I read it, but I can't say that I would have ever started it if I knew how the whole thing would be and I wouldn't really recommend it.

Just started on Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, now that the final book is out. I am about 3 chapters in and finding it rather insufferable. I'm getting a very big "look how edgy and awesome I am" vibe from the author, and I hate thinking about an author while I'm reading. A psychopathic 13-year-old warrior prince isn't really my idea of a good read, but I'm not one to give up on a book so quickly. We'll see how it continues.

I grew to like Prince of Thorns, though I still haven't bought the others in the trilogy. Maybe you'll find it gets better in time, as I did :)

I'm back to reading Savage by Richard Laymon, and I read the sample of Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Just downloaded the full book.

Finished Jurassic Park yesterday, as I was writing a short review of it the movie was being shown and so I watched it as I wrote. I really enjoyed the book and comparing it with the movie, hands down the book was better. Also I have resolved to look into getting my hands on more Crichton novels to read.

Today I started A Price of War which is the omnibus edition of Abraham's last two volumes of The Long Price Quartet, An Autumn War and The Price of Spring. Considering how much I enjoyed finishing A Betrayal in Winter, I can't wait to see what happens as a consequence of those events.

Archived