What are you reading in August ?

AncalagonTheBlack

I finally finished up To Green Angel Tower by Tad Williams. The "trilogy" (it's totally a quartet!) was in some stretches horrifically boring and in others somewhat intriguing.

More or less sums up how I feel about most of Williams output. Shame, because while his ideas are good, the books tend to bore me to tears.

Today I started A Price of War which is the omnibus edition of Abraham's last two volumes of The Long Price Quartet, An Autumn War and The Price of Spring. Considering how much I enjoyed finishing A Betrayal in Winter, I can't wait to see what happens as a consequence of those events.

I keep meaning to get to these, but something keeps putting me off. Maybe because I love The Dagger and the Coin series, and I'm worried it won't be quite as good? I think I'll just bite the bullet and start this series next, after I finish the book I'm currently reading.

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear, and so the long wait for book 3 begins :crying: , I've actually been dreading the nearing end for the last couple of days for this very reason :lol:.

Now trying to decide if I want to start Tigana, Wild Cards or Blood Song next.

I keep meaning to get to these, but something keeps putting me off. Maybe because I love The Dagger and the Coin series, and I'm worried it won't be quite as good? I think I'll just bite the bullet and start this series next, after I finish the book I'm currently reading.

Shadow and Betrayal, the omnibus of the first two volumes, was my first experience with Abraham so I can't give you a satisfying answer by comparing the two series. I've read opinions of Abraham that states the first books in his series are always the weakest and quality improves drastically in succeeding installments, I don't know if you share that opinion or not but I found some true in that statement. If I been able to give separate rates to the two volumes, A Shadow in Summer would received 3 stars on Amazon & Goodreads (3 1/2 on LibraryThing) while A Betrayal in Winter would have received a solid 4 on all three sites. If you asked me what the difference was, it would have been that in Shadow I felt the story meandered at times and didn't give a full explanation of the poet-andat relationship (unlike in Betrayal).

Thank you for your thoughts, Garett, I think I will finally pick it up now. I'm nearly done with Savage, which is starting to drag, and I'll get on with Abraham. I loved The Dragon's Path anyway, so I should stop dicking around with it :laugh:

Finished Poszch's The Dark Monk and got three new books today.

Richtel's Hooked...this is the one I have started first.

Rector's Already Gone...I bought on impulse.

Pessl's Night Film...this is one I have been waiting a while for and I am trying to put it off. I'll likely read it after Hooked.

Finished rereading Game of Thrones for the first time in like... a decade. It's been a while since I've read the books and I've been contemplating a reread of the entire series so I figured there's no reason to keep putting it off, I might as well just get on with it. Plus, it helps that nothing on my 'to read' pile was looking all that enticing. A couple of thoughts:

- Reading Game of Thrones again was almost like a nostalgic trip. It brought back memories of high school, a stack of school books in my arms, with Game of Thrones plopped right on top. Were it not for the series, I have a feeling the nostalgia would've been even stronger.

- The prose was much... simpler than I remembered. Martin was never a flashy writer, but he was often very good at making the simple work really well. Still, despite that, GoT seems much simpler and straightforward than I recall. I started Clash of Kings almost immediately after and the change in style was very noticeable. Clash of Kings has a bit more flair to its prose and, as such is a bit more dynamic when reading.

- I remain astounded by how closely the show stuck to the books at times (mostly in its first season). I mean, people may quibble over the details and the changes (and there are many), but it really does hit pretty much every single important story point. Not so much for the seasons afterwards though.

- Knowing what I know about later developments, going through the book is sometimes very depressing, especially once the strands begin to unfurl about mid-book and you watch characters make decisions that will damn them and others for the remainder of the series.

- Poor Lady and Nymeria :'(

- The book is still very enjoyable, but not the game-changer (for me) that I recall. Then again, I seem to remember not being blown away by the series until Storm of Swords fucked my eyelids (I stayed up waaaaay too late too often reading that monstrosity). Clash of Kings should be interesting. I remember seesawing between liking and disliking this book several times and it's always remained my least favorite of the first three, so it'll be interesting to see if 10 years has changed my perspective.

Now, onward to Clash O' Kings!

Actually had a good month in August. Finished a re-read of Riddle Master ( one of my favorite trilogies, McKillip writes beautifully ),Prince and King of Thorns, The Dragons Path and The Last Wish by Sapkowski. I'm pretty disappointed that Sword of Destiny isn't available in English because The Last Wish was excellent.

I'm not sure why I waited so long to read Prince of Thorns but I'm glad I finally decided to.

Since I last posted I read The Days of the Deer by Argentinian author Liliana Bodoc. It's basically a story of good versus evil, with foreign invaders coming to land to kill and enslave and bring physical and moral corruption with them, but I think that's a little too simplistic. It's written like an older, mythological tale of changes brought to a land by ancient evil. Some of the parallels will be obvious as it's loosely based on New World cultures and history, sometimes a little too closely, but for the most part it works. Combined with the writing style, the book actually reminds me a lot of The Silmarillion. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

And then I finished Children of God by Mary Doria Russell. It was a decent sequel to The Sparrow, though not as good. It was a good continuation of the story, but really feel like a necessary part to read. Still worth a read if you liked the first book.

Now reading Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan.

I finished Guy Gavriel Kay's River of Stars. I thought it was another good book by Kay, the obvious comparison is to his previous book in the same setting, Under Heaven and I'd probably rank it similar overall. I didn't find it to be as immediately compelling as Under Heaven, but I thought it had a strong ending whereas Under Heaven seemed to meander a bit as it neared its conclusion.

Next up is Adrian Tchaikovsky's ninth and penultimate Shadows of the Apt book, War Master's Gate.

Archived