Did Davos actually drown after the Battle of the Blackwater?

Lost Melnibonean

"I am a hollow shell, the crab’s died, there’s nothing left inside." 

Here's the quote: "When he opened his mouth to scream, the water came rushing in, tasting of salt, and Davos Seaworth knew that he was drowning." Then poof he wakes up on a spear of the Merling King. Should we be calling him UnDavos?

If Davos was drowning he would have died save for help, right? Dude ended up quite some distance away, no? And if he couldn't have received human or natural help, the help had to be divine or supernatural, right? If so, which gods helped him? Was it the drowned god that spit him back up? Why would the Drowned God give a poop about Davos? Was it the Mother reaching out for him knowing his heart was true? R'hllor wouldn't have helped would he? He's probably pissed Davos didn't burn. Or was it R'hllor's main squeeze? Did Melisandre use some sorcery to save Davos and obtain his finger bones as he was drowning?

A corpse washed up on the shore with him then washed away. A hint maybe?

And there's this: (Davos II, Storm) Salladhor asked, "Can it be true? The sea that swallowed you up has spit you up again." --The second sentence was not a question. Martin described Davos's thoughts, "Davos was reminded of Patchface ..." But of course Patchface was mad when he returned. Is the Damphair mad?

Later at White Harbor before he gets tossed in the dungeon he thinks the gods spared him to rescue Edric Storm. Was he right?

Then he wondered if the gods have some other task, involving White Harbor, for him. Is it possible Bloodraven is orchestrating this? Are we supposed to believe some divine power is at work? Or did Davos just wash up and live (after he breathed water with no CPR), happened to be found (where few ships ever pass), and is now providing an opportunity for Mandely to seize?

Was this another little pink herring for the prince that was promised, like Beric, Victarion, Bran?

You can feel like you're drowning without dying or living by receiving CPR. As a swimmer who once bellyflopped off a large diving tower, I felt I was going to drown, but I managed to drag myself to the edge of the pool and flush up the water (along with my lunch) so Davos probably did something like that. So no, no UnDavos.

It is most likely that he swam to safety but lost consciousness, and has to memory of the events as a result. To be sure, if Davos met an Ironman they would probably be in awe of him for having being "drowned" (if GRRM has him meet one), but such an event is unlikely and with very little to add to Davos's character. But it is not likely that his survival was an act of intervention.

You can feel like you're drowning without dying or living by receiving CPR. As a swimmer who once bellyflopped off a large diving tower, I felt I was going to drown, but I managed to drag myself to the edge of the pool and flush up the water (along with my lunch) so Davos probably did something like that. So no, no UnDavos.

That's helpful. But I wonder... If Davos was drowning he would have died save for help, right? And if he couldn't have received human or natural help, the help had to be divine or supernatural, right? If so, which gods helped him? Was it the drowned god that spit him back up? Why would the Drowned God give a poop about Davos? Was it the Mother? I don't have my book with me now. Did he say something like Seven save me when he saw the inferno at the chain? I know he prayed to her after he saw the ship but did he pray to her before the chain? I guess the Mother could have reached out for him anyway knowing his heart was true. R'hllor wouldn't have helped would he? He's probably pissed Davos didn't burn. (Where's Jaqen when you need him?)

This leads to the larger question of whether the 7 are starting to assert themselves (or maybe have been working behind the scenes the whole time)

Davos asks the mother for help. Hears the mother. And says the mother burned the fleet then sent him a ship.

There seems to be a large group of 'the 7 are fake' supporters here but this at least could foreshadow a larger role by the 7 of working against the red god / for their own.

That's helpful. But I wonder... If Davos was drowning he would have died save for help, right? And if he couldn't have received human or natural help, the help had to be divine or supernatural, right? If so, which gods helped him? Was it the drowned god that spit him back up? Why would the Drowned God give a poop about Davos? Was it the Mother? I don't have my book with me now. Did he say something like Seven save me when he saw the inferno at the chain? I know he prayed to her after he saw the ship but did he pray to her before the chain? I guess the Mother could have reached out for him anyway knowing his heart was true. R'hllor wouldn't have helped would he? He's probably pissed Davos didn't burn. (Where's Jaqen when you need him?)

He did say 'Gods save us' after seeing the chain, but one thing that's been prominent in the series is that praying does jackshit, especially with the Seven. On the island, Davos was dehydrated, hungry, sick, all in all delusional. It seemed that he was talking to himself more than another being. To expand on that, a lot of people who believe in higher powers believe that they hear said power in times of distress, and others look for a force to explain odd circumstances. Davos was looking for a way to explain what happened, and another part of his consience said it was the Mother. At least that's how I saw it.

Archived