Do Paintings exist in Westeros?

FC_Lymond

I was thinking about this the other day.

There are many references to statues in the books. They go into the Winterfell crypts to look at the images of their ancestors for instance.

Things like coats of arms are painted on shields.

There are plenty of references to singers and musicians. I don't remember any talk of artists?

But I don't remember any references to paintings in the books or show. Do they exist?

Paintings do exist, although tapestries seem to be far more common. I believe there is also a mention that the shields in the Hall at Castle Black were painted black to cover the former sigils that were on them so I would say it does but probably in a fairly limitative manner.

Miniature paintings in the "Myrish style" are the only clear examples of formal painting in the setting. Large-scale portraiture seems to be done with tapestry.

But paint exists, and of course is used to paint shields, tavern signs, etc.

Paintings do exist, although tapestries seem to be far more common. I believe there is also a mention that the shields in the Hall at Castle Black were painted black to cover the former sigils that were on them so I would say it does but probably in a fairly limitative manner.

The shields in the Hall of Shields were not painted black, they were hung, sigils and all (to represent putting aside their old allegiance) for Knights in service to the watch and that hall was specifically for their use. When a knight died his shield was taken down.

The shields in the Hall of Shields were not painted black, they were hung, sigils and all (to represent putting aside their old allegiance) for Knights in service to the watch and that hall was specifically for their use. When a knight died his shield was taken down.

Good point, thanks for clarifying, I always get those two mixed up. :)

Well, when Jaime is reading the White Book, he reflects that whenever a new knight takes the white, a new page is written about him, and they have to wait for a septon from the Great Sept to come, three times a year, to draw and paint the coat-of-arms. If there truly were paintings and artists all over Westeros, would be much simpler to just hire one, instead of waiting months for a septon's visit.

So there probably exists none, aside from shield painting, which is more craft than art.

Whats the difference. When someone says tapestries i think of a painting ?

Paintings and portraits played a large role late medieval Europe. Lords filled their houses with pictures of their ancestors. The many portraits of Henry VIII and Elizabeth are quite famous. I just found it interesting that there is almost no such thing in Westeros.

Archived