In Bran's dream-vision: What is the meaning of curtain of light ?

Mehmet Eren

'' North and north and north he looked, to the curtain of light at the end of the world, and then beyond that curtain. He looked deep into the heart of winter, and then he cried out, afraid, and the heat of his tears burned his cheeks. ''

For me first book give lots of hits about future of the story ,especially Bran vision... Anyways I am not sure this part when I read this part it remains me some kind gate to alternative dimension we have dragons and different kinds of magic in the story so some magical gate to other side is not impossible for story.

What you think about it ? I imagine space like ice word in Thor movie........

Well, I sincerely hope that the can of alternate dimensions is NOT opened. There is no quicker way to make a story feel completely pointless, maybe except being just a dream.

However, I do think that this curtain of light is noteworthy. Because Bran's vision includes light and heat, two things not associated with the Far North and the Others. It might imply that there is more to the Light/Dark and Fire/Ice dichotomy.

Is it not the Wall??? When the sun shines through the Wall it looks like the Wall itself is shining hence the ''curtain of light''. And also people from the Seven Kingdoms think of the Wall as the end of the world. Then it says he looked beyond into the heart of winter. Beyond the Wall are the Lands of Always Winter. I think his vision is just telling him where he'll go later to find the 3EC.

Is it not the Wall??? When the sun shines through the Wall it looks like the Wall itself is shining hence the ''curtain of light''.

It's definitely not the Wall, as Bran had already looked past it, in the sequence. The OP simply missed that out.

And he looked past the Wall, past endless forests cloaked in snow, past the frozen shore and the great blue-white rivers of ice and the dead plains where nothing grew or lived.

Then we see him look "north and north and north".

It's definitely not the Wall, as Bran had already looked past it, in the sequence. The OP simply missed that out.

oh haha sorry then I didn't really remember the chapter :)

crackpot theory: maybe it's the wall but it's aurora hitting on it but dragon's fire. We know the dragons are gonna go to the wall/Westeros, or would pointless dragonglass killing the others, dragons kill white walkers (and we also know the white walkers at some point will invade Westeros).

How long is the distance that a dragon can breath fire? Maybe that's it, Bran "saw" dragons coming to the wall, that's why the heat was so strong that burnt his cheek

What doesn't make sense to me is " He looked deep into the heart of winter" what or who is the heart of winter? the white walkers?

'yolkboy' wrote:

==================================================================

I agree this is a key phrase, especially as "north" is said thrice. One can conjecture is that there are three norths for Bran from Winterfell: the Gifts, the known lands beyond the Wall (Haunted Forest and Frostfangs), and the Land of Always Winter. And the Northern Lights are probably visible from the upper reaches of beyond the Wall, as they are from northern Scotland. Beyond that curtain is the Land of Always Winter, which is unknown and uncharted and potentially holds the doom of Westeros or even Planetos.

I think Bran's burning tears are not only because mankind is in danger, but also because he senses, perhaps subconsciously, that he is burdened with overcoming this danger. "Winter is coming" is the family motto, but always winter? That is another matter.

And he has no idea how he, a cripple, can do that. Similarly, Frodo went from lighthearted hobbit to the destiny of carrying the weight of the known world to Mt. Doom and the bitter end. And his own post-Ring future is a grey one indeed.

I've never subscribed to the Bran-is-AAR theory, but it's a possibility. Perhaps whilst he is plunging into a metaphysical battle, maybe the PTWP--i.e., Jon and/or Dany-- plus their forces will be battling against the physical manifestation of Always Winter--the Others.

Good answers :)

I have two theories about heart of winter one heart of winter is future bran himself ( % 10 ) second it is place where great other lives ....

I believe Bran is today version of Last Hero and he is lead against other but then he can be also AAR also he has lots of similarities with Frodo

Also I recently read that curtain of light might be magical protection to in prison other in their lands

Hmmm....just reread this part after reading the five that are out. Fact is he saw something that terrified him. Something worse than wights and othes most like. Its well passed the gift (which is south of the wall), passed the wall, passed the haunted forest, then two steps passed that is where he sees whatever caused him to cry out. I would assume he saw whatever god or power that is responsible for the others.....or perhaps a power greater than then pushing them south?

• 1 year later...

After Bran saw the curtain of light the 3 eyed crow said "Now you know, now you know why you must live" "Why?" asked Bran "Because Winter is coming"

I think he seen the heart of winter but couldn't comprehend what he was seing, or somethinmg along those lines.

I love this chapter!

It's his intuition giving him a vision of the vagina.

("now you know why you must live")

it freaks everyone out at first, but he'll get over that.

because he must live long enough to __(do something)__________ when the Winter comes.

the ______ is the important part.

What is his appointed task? the thing nobody else can manage, only him.

my guess is he must get into the pants of the Heart of Winter.

he must seduce it and mind-meld with it, and have the Winter abusing his mind the way he pops into Hodor's brain.

and through this union, a new arrangement between the living and the dead is born.

or, alternatively, his Brandon Builder mission will be to erect a huge phallus to penetrate the Heart of Winter.

people yammer on and on and on about Nissa but there's a bigger "heart" out there than any liberal's: the heart of winter.

That's the heart I imagine needs to get run through by Lightbringer.

Which means Lightbringer must be the aforementioned huge phallus of magma and Melisandre Fyre and dragon Fyre and Blackfyre and anybody who's got any kind of fire should probably donate some to the cause because the poking of the Heart of Winter is going to set a new Guiness Record for the biggest of all proddings, and it's going to take a village to get it done. Hardhome, for instance.

Well that just about decodes the books.

Archived