In Bran's dream-vision: What is the meaning of curtain of light ?

Mehmet Eren

When you close the curtain there is no light coming through. He is the only person in the story to not only go to the lands of Always Winter, but beyond them.

Only there can a person cast no shadow, as there is no light. Melissandre was right.

Another thing he could do to cast no shadow is to be transparent.

And the ice dragon constellation has the brightest blue eyes of anything.

Could he be an ice dragon?? Nahhhhhh. This is just some crazy tinfoil talk that will come true almost for sure :)

I think the "curtain of light" might be a true physical substance.

Keep in mind, we also hear of another light at the end of the world from Quaithe. "To see the light, you must pass beneath the shadow."

"The Shadow" is the mountain/ mountain range by Asshai, which is literally on the other end of the world.....which was also included in Brans vision, but this was also associated with dragons (fire) which he saw as well.

The "curtain of light" I feel might be a similar object or force as a mountain range. Maybe some sort of protective fore that is akin to a magical aurora

Furthermore.....what if this means Dany doesn't get to Westeros by sailing West, but by going so far South, passing the shadow, that she gets to North again, and makes war on the Lands of Always Winter. 0_0

uuuhhhhhh,

The Shadow = dark curtain

The aurora = light curtain

the great & secret show goes on behind these curtains and to really appreciate it one probably has to make a complete circuit, hence the mysterious talk from Mirri about circumnavigation. You don't really need to travel the world pointlessly like Moses did; you need to pierce the veils. Plural. Only then can you piece together the truth, instead of buying into the bullshit each of the magic poles will try to sell you. (i.e. Melisandre is a believer but not fully informed enough to make the right call).

A magical barrier similar to the Wall. Others cast that ward to keep the searching eyes of the dreamers (greenseers) out. Bran was able to penetrate it and see what the Others are doing there.

Is it not the Wall??? When the sun shines through the Wall it looks like the Wall itself is shining hence the ''curtain of light''. And also people from the Seven Kingdoms think of the Wall as the end of the world. Then it says he looked beyond into the heart of winter. Beyond the Wall are the Lands of Always Winter. I think his vision is just telling him where he'll go later to find the 3EC.

This is how I always interpreted it

A magical barrier similar to the Wall. Others cast that ward to keep the searching eyes of the dreamers (greenseers) out. Bran was able to penetrate it and see what the Others are doing there.

^ that just spurred me to wonder something...

what if the Others don't own the inside of the curtain. What if the Others are laying siege to the Light. (or just the siege of Bloodraven's CotF cave). Surrounding it in forever winter to insure it remains isolated from humankind..... so no Hero can reach it to obtain the power within & use that power to do the Others harm !!!!! (lightbringer forged in the "heart" of winter)

^ that just spurred me to wonder something...

what if the Others don't own the inside of the curtain. What if the Others are laying siege to the Light. (or just the siege of Bloodraven's CotF cave). Surrounding it in forever winter to insure it remains isolated from humankind..... so no Hero can reach it to obtain the power within & use that power to do the Others harm !!!!! (lightbringer forged in the "heart" of winter)

I could totally see this, if the "ironic" poles had not already been set up.

What I mean by that, is that obviously there are a couple "hinges" of the world. And from first look, we would always think that fire should be associated with light, and that frost seems more dark and shadowy.

However, Bran and Melisandre kind of turn that on it's head.

"Shadow are slaves to the light." - Melisandre says this as she pleads her Gods case to Davos as they are on their night trip to Storms End. The irony is displayed almost immediately, as Davos states that darkness is actually their ally at the moment, since it is keeping them safe from the eyes on the wall. She tells him he foolish, and to not call attention from the god of darkness.

Through Brans vision, we see both ironies in some way. He is obviously being taken on a trip via Bloodraven, and shown the parts of the world that will make up this oncoming struggle. However, notice that when he sees the dragons, they are at The Shadow by Asshai. So you get the "weapons" of fire, shrouded in shadow.

He then goes North (or perhaps even deeper South) and is brought to the denizen of the Ice weapons (the Others). Yet, here at the capitol of frost, there is bright light. Quite literally a curtain of light, however when the White Walkers march, they come with the night.

I think this shows very clearly that Martin is trying to say that both forces are essentially made of the same thing.....and that they both can be helpful, and destructive.

Like magic's physics have been twisted, inverted and the Powers That Be are suffering a septic sickness they're fine with since to them this crazy state is now normal.. But it falls short of what we expect from divine power. Aemon hoped for a holy sword to produce heat but got counterfeit fire. No heaven on earth. Not yet anyway. Will Bran fix the breach birth problem of magic and get magic turned the right direction again? I hope we get at least some hint of him reaching in to unknot reality somehow on the weirnet.

When I read the book I thought the curtain of light is the most Northern place where there is still light, and it looks like the Aurora Borealis. And beyond that there's some terrible stuff like the Others or something, this is why he was afraid and cried out.

What if the Others are moving south to get away from something too? Just a thought...and it may be totally tinfoil, but all of GRRM's characters are never totally good or totally evil...they fall somewhere in a gray area. What if something is driving them south? Like I said...crackpot, tinfoil or totally off base, but it did pop into my head.

What if the Others are moving south to get away from something too? Just a thought...and it may be totally tinfoil, but all of GRRM's characters are never totally good or totally evil...they fall somewhere in a gray area. What if something is driving them south? Like I said...crackpot, tinfoil or totally off base, but it did pop into my head.

How do Joffrey, Ramsay, Gregor Clegane, Vargo Hoat wtc. Fall into "not entirely evil?"

Archived