Is Roose Bolton = Dracula

zaphodbrx

This is something I've been thinking of.. Roose Bolton is such a mystery. He seems to come out of nowhere. He has no parents, no siblings, no cousins, no children other than Ramsey. Such a situation is really, really unusual in Westeros, where noble families are very large in general.

I wonder if Roose Bolton is a 'Dracula' . ie, there isn't any Bolton family. It's just Roose, all the way, over the last eight thousand years or whatever. He lives on, perhaps sacrificing his children to prolong his health ( which would explain why they all died ).

There is some other worldly quality about Roose. His eyes, the book burning in Harrenhal, love of leeches, etc. all point to some kind of mystery that can't be resolved. The flaying thing is also similar to Dracula who used to impale his victims.

What do you think?

I thought Vlad was a much more sympathetic guy than Roose...

Then I read this and you're talking about the mythical Dracula...

My Opinion:

Roose probably had a family but they all died in weird "accidents" between his 12th and 20th birthday.

Flaying isn't really anything like impaling, and there are mentions of other Boltons all through history(Westerosi) as they were the Starks main antagonists for a while. I think Roose is just the latest in a long line of creepy Boltons, Ramsay aside that is.

Don't be silly. Dracula's cruelty eventually ceased; he eventually allowed his victims to die, if only because their agonized screams grew irritating after a while. Roose Bolton has no such weaknesses.

Well his eyes are pretty much like Ned eyes so I don't think it's an argument.

The only surefire way to kill a vampire is decapitation. King Joffrey was wiser than most people realized.

The only surefire way to kill a vampire is decapitation. King Joffrey was wiser than most people realized.

TT____TT

I would have been OK with an Eddard Vampire...

As for the OP... its been brought up many times. I think he has some supernatural powers which hopefully get fleshed out in the next book...

This is something I've been thinking of.. Roose Bolton is such a mystery. He seems to come out of nowhere. He has no parents, no siblings, no cousins, no children other than Ramsey.

I'm pretty sure he had parents. I doubt he came into being on his own. The Boltons descend from the First Men.

I'm pretty sure he had parents. I doubt he came into being on his own. The Boltons descend from the First Men.

He certainly had parents (or sires, or progenitors, or whatever you want), but they died so long ago that their names are lost to the mists of antiquity. If you go down to the vaults of WInterfell, you find the graves of all the past lords and ladies of Stark, an unbroken lineage going back to the very first of that name. If you go down to the vaults of the Dreadfort, you find a single plain wooden coffin, which is *usually* empty...

"A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule"

When he said that, he meant this has ALWAYS been the rule in the most literal sense, since before the first dawn.

There is no evidence of this. In fact, all the historical Boltons could just have been Roose himself.

They clearly had to have been. This explains his detached attitude towards heirs, his house's continuity, and basically everything else. He's seen this whole war of five kings crap play out before over and over during the past couple of millennia. It's hard to feign interest in the prancing and braying of the likes of Robb Stark and Stannis Baratheon when you are on first name basis with the Great Other.

There is no evidence of this. In fact, all the historical Boltons could just have been Roose himself.

You must be reading Twilight books for your vampire rules. Explain how Roose reproduced. Even at that, most vampire lore has vampires as once being human and sterile.

I don't know about Doran Martell, but Robert Strong is at least loosely based on the concept of Frankenstein's monster, and Robb Stark is a skinchanger, only a few steps away from lycanthropy. Heck, the case for them is much stronger than the Bolton vampire thing:

One of the Freys stepped forward, a knight long and lean of limb, clean-shaved but for a grey mustache as thin as a Myrish stiletto. "The Red Wedding was the Young Wolf's work. He changed into a beast before our eyes and tore out the throat of my cousin Jinglebell, a harmless simpleton. He would have slain my lord father too, if Ser Wendel had not put himself in the way."

Clearly werewolf.

The only thing interesting about Bolton is that unlike most true vampires he actively seeks to remove blood from his body rather than consume it.

Roose is definitely not a literal vampire, but there is some symbolism of the Boltons being vampiric. They do seem to enjoy bloodshed. Roose has an icy personality rather than the icy skin of actual vampires. The actions of Roose and Ramsay are sucking the life out of the north. On the other hand, they may be more like serial killer Ed Gein, who made things out of human parts and inspired Silence of the Lambs.

Vlad Dracul is a somewhat misunderstood figure I think. He was very brutal, but he also managed to prevent the Ottomans from gaining a big foothold in Europe. Any Christian of European descent owes him a big thank you. Roose doesn't really have a set of ideals that I can tell. Vlad Dracul was devoted to protecting Christianity. I'm not taking a position here on whether Christianity or Islam is better or more right, I'm not religious at all. Just pointing out that Vlad had strong principles and Roose doesn't.

Dude, maybe not a Vampire, but I would love the ides of The Roose being immortal or something of the like.

There is also the theory that the Boltons are the descendants of the Night's King and his Other bride. That may lay credence to the theory...

:lmao:

So does this make Gregor Frankenstein?

And Robb Stark a werewolf?

And Doran Martell a transformer?

So DoS is going to involve a time traveling Monster Squad from the eighties who's little sister tags along only to find out that Gregor is just tragically misunderstood? I can dig it. :)

He certainly had parents (or sires, or progenitors, or whatever you want), but they died so long ago that their names are lost to the mists of antiquity. If you go down to the vaults of WInterfell, you find the graves of all the past lords and ladies of Stark, an unbroken lineage going back to the very first of that name. If you go down to the vaults of the Dreadfort, you find a single plain wooden coffin, which is *usually* empty...

When he said that, he meant this has ALWAYS been the rule in the most literal sense, since before the first dawn.

They clearly had to have been. This explains his detached attitude towards heirs, his house's continuity, and basically everything else. He's seen this whole war of five kings crap play out before over and over during the past couple of millennia. It's hard to feign interest in the prancing and braying of the likes of Robb Stark and Stannis Baratheon when you are on first name basis with the Great Other.

Thank you, someone who understands what I mean.

There isn't any evidence that there were any historical Boltons. No names, no family tree. It could just have been Roose all along.

This also explains why the Boltons continued ruling even after multiple rebellions and conflicts. Damn vampires are hard to kill.

This has got to be one of the greatest theories I've ever read/seen/heard. I want this to be true. George better find some way to implement this into his next two books.

Archived