Lady Narcissa and other Chicagoans - need some help

Hi, Lady N. and Chicago folks:

I'm going to be in Chicago in Sept. and want to do some running. I'll be staying downtown...any particular run/walk routes you like?

Lady Narcissa, I plan on asking you this in San Antonio as well. :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

There is a run/bike path along the lakefront. It is somewhat crowded but what isn't in the city? :-) Be alert, the cyclists sometimes aren't.

For walking: I used to walk to work from the train station along Wacker Drive. It takes you along the Chicago River and is nice for walking. I also love the walk along Michigan Ave...anywhere really but particularly going north starting at Michigan and Wacker. I wouldn't run these routes...too many people and too many streets to cross, but nice for leisurely walks.

September is a great time of year to be in Chicago. Not hot, not cold. Highly recommend the architectural boat tour along the river if you want to do something touristy. Also, make sure you try some Chicago pizza and an Italian Beef while you are there.

I don't run so I can't advise you from a running viewpoint. Probably the most likely spot to run is along the lake. That is where everyone I know who runs, generally runs. The whole lakefront for the majority of the length of Chicago is a public park and open to the public with paths for running. Depending on where you are staying in the downtown area, it might not take you too long to get over to the lakefront. Otherwise, you just job along the city streets to get over there. Or you could go running around Grant Park. Or in the Water Tower area, there is a public park that has a jogging track but that is more if you want to just run around in 1/4 mile circles.

Check out this for the lakefront paths:

http://www.chicagobikes.org/pdf/lakefront_trail061608.pdf

Also, shameless plug for my Chicago thread:

For specifics on running here, you might want to PM alguien as he does a lot of running in the city.

Lady Narcissa, I love your Chicago thread but how could you have forgotten Lou Malnati's for pizza? LOL...I am biased.

I didn't forget, I just don't like their crust. Sorry!

But also, that thread was written for last year's WorldCon which was at the Hyatt Regency and Lou Malnati's is just further away than most of the other deep dish pizza places. So for people just wanting to try deep dish I recommended the places that were closest to the hotel.

Hey, I'll be in Chicago in September too. I won't run, but I'll hang out. :)

(It's looking like I'll be there around Sept 6-7, btw.)

Cool! I would love to hang out, but I will be there Sept. 15-18. :(

(It's looking like I'll be there around Sept 6-7, btw.)

You won't be here for a White Sox game then. Too bad!

I would love to hang out, but I will be there Sept. 15-18. :(

Well depending on what your schedule is like that Sunday, I'll happily go for a super long walk with you along the lakefront if you want the company. It will almost be like running at the pace I walk!

Yeah, Cubs will be in town, though. Anyway, I'll talk about it in my own travel thread. :)

Yeah, Cubs will be in town, though. Anyway, I'll talk about it in my own travel thread. :)

Cubs...bah! I don't have season tickets for them and I didn't work on their stadium so they don't count in my world!

But yes we can save it for your travel thread....

Well depending on what your schedule is like that Sunday, I'll happily go for a super long walk with you along the lakefront if you want the company. It will almost be like running at the pace I walk!

That is so sweet of you - thanks! We can get our act together in San Antonio. I'm going to be in Chicago for a meeting, and my mother is tagging along to do some sightseeing and shopping. She's never been, and has heard me talk about how much I love it. I'm excited to show her the city.

Cubs...bah! I don't have season tickets for them and I didn't work on their stadium so they don't count in my world!

But yes we can save it for your travel thread....

You have season tickets to the White Sox? You poor thing...

If anything I'd set up when people are in town, let me know and I'll gladly come down if I can depending on schedule...I need to get out more...

Archived