Reading the books and watching the TV series

Edguy

So, after watching the two first seasons of the show, I decided I wanted to check out the books behind this amazing universe, and quickly read the two first books. Loved them, but decided to wait until I'd watched the third season before I read book three. And now I have passed the third season (book 3 continues a good part past what season 3 covers) and i really want to read book number 4. The reason I'm hesitating, though, is because it seems to me that I'll get more enjoyment out of watching the show, and then reading the books for greater depth, than the other way around. Oh, dilemmas..

Anyone been in a similar situation? What did you choose? Do you who have read the books before the TV show find as much entertainment, or does the simplifying of the narrative bother you? Should I say fuck it, and start reading A Feast for Crows?

I watched the show first and then read the books per my brother's insistence and I love the books. I say read A Feast for Crows as frogeaters is correct there is a lot more in the books and very enjoyable than the show. I still like the show, but I prefer the books more. Esp the direwolves.

Anyone been in a similar situation? What did you choose?

I figured early on that the only safe way to go online to discuss the show was to read all the books, the first season was the only one I finished before I finished the respective book.

As for the rest, it wasn't that I was planning to finish the 5 books before the third season, but that I kept wanting to know what would happen next and I have no regreats. The show still has a lot of surprises despite the main plot.

With all honesty, if you're worried about reading the books harming your enjoyment of the show, I would suggest not reading them until you've watched the corresponding season. The books are obviously better, but reading them really dulled my appreciation and enjoyment of the show, because events that you imagined in your head, or had high expectations for, may not live up to those standards, and this can be disappointing. Changes that you might disagree with can also tarnish your enjoyment of the show. I probably would have enjoyed season 3 more if I hadn't read the books.

Personally, the book didn't dull my expectation of the show because I learned to expect the differences between the respective Red Weddings, Bear Pit chapters and different charcater's deaths as much as I learned to accept Tywin & Arya never interacted on the books, Gendry never met Stannis & Davos in a Storm of Swords or Melisandre & Thoros never reunited with Beric.

There are many details that change, without changing the bigger picture, to keep me entertained.

Whatever you choose, keep in mind that if you have finished Storm then you probably already know most of what will happen in Season 4 of the show. So if you're okay with not finding out much about what happens next until Spring 2015 and prefer the show to the books, then wait for the show to catch up to where you are. I know I personally couldn't wait that long while there was still published material out there waiting to be read.

Whatever you choose, keep in mind that if you have finished Storm then you probably already know most of what will happen in Season 4 of the show. So if you're okay with not finding out much about what happens next until Spring 2015 and prefer the show to the books, then wait for the show to catch up to where you are. I know I personally couldn't wait that long while there was still published material out there waiting to be read.

There's always the option to re-read the story, I went back to Game of Thrones after I finished A Dance With Dragons and get to approach the whole story with new eyes knowing what was about to happen.

I feel its easier to linger in Robert and Ned's friendship after you've read about Gendry and Arya's, to deal with Jaime or Tyrion's attitude after the events of A Storm of Swords and enjoy the interactions between the Starks knowing there would be the last ones before what would happen to Bran, Jon and Robb.

So, after watching the two first seasons of the show, I decided I wanted to check out the books behind this amazing universe, and quickly read the two first books. Loved them, but decided to wait until I'd watched the third season before I read book three. And now I have passed the third season (book 3 continues a good part past what season 3 covers) and i really want to read book number 4. The reason I'm hesitating, though, is because it seems to me that I'll get more enjoyment out of watching the show, and then reading the books for greater depth, than the other way around. Oh, dilemmas..

Then stick to this.
Anyone been in a similar situation? What did you choose? Do you who have read the books before the TV show find as much entertainment, or does the simplifying of the narrative bother you? Should I say fuck it, and start reading A Feast for Crows?
I've read the books before the show and I really like S1 of GOT coz it stays more true to the books. S2 however is a big let down but not so much for S3. Even though I keep sayin' the show is not the books so I'll try to keep an open mind, there are times that I get too nitpicky on the show coz I can't help comparing it to the books. Yeah, if you've read the books you'll have expectations and if those expectations are not met you'll end up facepalming, screaming, or even cursing the show. :P That's juz an exaggeration but hopefully you get what I mean. So if you think you'll enjoy the show more if you haven't read the books then go for it and while waiting for the next season, you can read the book that correspond to the season you've juz watched. Cheers? :cheers:

Then stick to this.

I've read the books before the show and I really like S1 of GOT coz it stays more true to the books. S2 however is a big let down but not so much for S3. Even though I keep sayin' the show is not the books so I'll try to keep an open mind, there are times that I get too nitpicky on the show coz I can't help comparing it to the books. Yeah, if you've read the books you'll have expectations and if those expectations are not met you'll end up facepalming, screaming, or even cursing the show. :P That's juz an exaggeration but hopefully you get what I mean. So if you think you'll enjoy the show more if you haven't read the books then go for it and while waiting for the next season, you can read the book that correspond to the season you've juz watched. Cheers? :cheers:

There's only this tiny little problem; the show does not continue for more than half a year, even then probably not covering much more than the end of book 3 and maybe half of book 4 or less. The books are there for me to enjoy, right now.

That said.. I have kind'a started reading A Feast for Crows by now, couldn't help it x]

There's only this tiny little problem; the show does not continue for more than half a year, even then probably not covering much more than the end of book 3 and maybe half of book 4 or less. The books are there for me to enjoy, right now.

That said.. I have kind'a started reading A Feast for Crows by now, couldn't help it x]

Then read the books and enjoy. It doesn't mean you'll no longer enjoy the show after 'coz like what silentwanderer has said, "there are many details that change, without changing the bigger picture, to keep [you] entertained."

It depends on how good you are with delayed gratification. I began with the TV series, checked GoT out of the library and was immediately drawn in. At that point I had to read on as much as possible. But reading ahead of the show has made some awkward moments in our house as I am literally biting my face off in excitement about scenes upcoming, which kind of ruins it for my partner. Can you bear to wait for each series before reading?

I probably wouldn't enjoy the books unless i had watched the first season of the show first. Whats important to me is to know how the characters look like. Reading affc now is much more enjoyable bc it feels like i'm actually watching the show. Hope that made sense hah! What i'm trying to say is that if i was in your position, i would read it bc 1. I simply don't have the patience to wait and 2. I already know how most on the characters look, so it would be just like watching the actual show

I'm one of those who watched 2 seasons of the series first and then read the books. One of the best things I did was to start reading from AGoT and not from ASoS. Obviously, after season 2 I was like "oh, wow, ok, what happens next", although books cover the entire history, sequence, and logic behind the events, a pleasure that I wouldn't have taken if I was merely watching the show.

Another reason for reading the books is the spoilers. I don't know if you like them, but personally that's the worst thing sb can do to upset me. I never touched any forum or relevant site before finishing the books.

BUT....in your case, if you're about to start AFfC, be ready to face an entire different storyline than the show's one. AFfC is a great book, though a great many readers found it tedious. It goes without saying that nothing is just randomly thrown in the books, but a lot of that stuff will be cut out from the series (it has already started).

The choice is yours, but as sb else pointed out before, season 4's events will not exceed ASoS that much.

Personally, I've never found A Feast For Crows tedious because I look at the bigger picture and many clues about what's actually happening arise there as well as in A Dance With Dragons.

If you're stuck on the Starks or the Lannisters, particularly on just some Starks on just the one or two Lannisters perhaps the book might seem a little overwhelming, but if you're invested in what's actually happening now that the winter is coming, then this is the most exciting autumn season for you.

Archived