Reading the books and watching the TV series

Edguy

I watched all three seasons first. (Thank you Dish On Demand!!)

The show helped me visualize the characters better. After that, I've been binge listening the audiobooks. It has been awesome this way. I think it is cool to compare differences between the show and books and anticipate where the show will differ in the future.

After completing Book 4, you will see that the show has to make some more changes to stay interesting. (Not a plot spoiler but Book 4 has not Tyrion, Jon, Bran or Daenerys chapters) The show cannot give those 4 a season off just because.

My little brother got me hooked on the show before season 3 came out, then after watching the third season I needed to know what was going to happen so I immediately went and bought the whole series.

Since then I haven't been able to put the books down lol, crushed the entire series up to about 3/4 way thru feast for crows since the season 3 HBO finale. I prefer the books by a wide margin and its so much easier to read them having an image of all the characters and settings

My little brother got me hooked on the show before season 3 came out, then after watching the third season I needed to know what was going to happen so I immediately went and bought the whole series.

Since then I haven't been able to put the books down lol, crushed the entire series up to about 3/4 way thru feast for crows since the season 3 HBO finale. I prefer the books by a wide margin and its so much easier to read them having an image of all the characters and settings

My thoughts exactly about helping imagine the characters and settings.

I don't know what's worse- binge watching the show or binge reading the books (even by audiobook). LOL

I watched the first 2 seasons and then decided to buy the 5 books. That quite helped me to understand the characters at the beginning as the House genealogy is... big ! I read a SoS when the season 3 aired and I didn't even finished to watch it... I personnaly find it too summarized and sometimes too far from the book.

• 4 months later...

yeah i gobbled up the 2 seasons in like 2 days...waited a month for season 3 to begin and continued to love it...i then said fuck it and started reading the books and oh boy the books are WAY better...I still enjoy the TV show very much as a TV show, and even though I do know most of what happened in the books as i was reading them, it was just as exciting and even more so because they showrunners actually leave some of the best parts out. They may not be as action packed, but some quotes and stories etc... I would say read and watch whatever, however you want because nothing will ruin the amazing world GRRM has created for us.

I think the books are better, so I'd be more concerned about the show spoiling the books for me, than the other way round. I'm very glad that I read book 1 before watching season 1 and especially that I read book 2 before watching season 2, and I even wish I hadn't watched season 1 before I read book 2, because season 1 of the show ended up affecting my views of certain characters that did not appear in book 1 (like Margaery) or whose motives and plans weren't spelled out in books 1 and 2 the way they were on the show immediately (Littlefinger).

• 2 weeks later...

....always, always, keep reading. Always. The show? It's 40% of what's really going on. I'd say an estimated 60% of George's entire universe cant be portrayed, the way they merge Edric Storm and Gendry into one person, how they cut out Coldhands completely, how Sam never discovers the wonders of dragonglass. I hope, hope they show the little excursion to the quiet isles, and i certainly hope they dont cut back or censor to a certain degree reek/theon.

Bottom line, youre never, ever going to get the detail, the emotion, and the initial shock as to reading the words as theyre happening. Keep in mind the show will have shock, but youll never get to experience it vividly through a characters POV. for that, id say the books blow the show completely out of the game.

Watched the first 3 seasons of the show before starting the book series. I am already in the middle of A Storm Of Sword. As an avid reader of books, I can only say that while the TV show is excellent, the books are even better. More subtilities, it's deeper than what a TV format can allow. That's why book are and will remain the best format to carry epic series. The imagination of a reader can be much more realistic that what your TV can offer.

Well, since I will be deep in A Feast Of Crow when season 4 kicks up, I will watch the show knowing what's lay ahead. That's great. It will give me a new perspective of the show.

Watched the first 3 seasons of the show before starting the book series. I am already in the middle of A Storm Of Sword. As an avid reader of books, I can only say that while the TV show is excellent, the books are even better. More subtilities, it's deeper than what a TV format can allow. That's why book are and will remain the best format to carry epic series. The imagination of a reader can be much more realistic that what your TV can offer.

Well, since I will be deep in A Feast Of Crow when season 4 kicks up, I will watch the show knowing what's lay ahead. That's great. It will give me a new perspective of the show.

also, the show has zero foreshadowing compared to what the book has. a reread will show that there are a LOT of hints dropped throughout the series, whereas they hardly do any on the show. it makes repeated reading be like, "oh, haha funny he should say that..."

Archived