Valyrian steel sword vs. armour?

Batman

Swords are not great weapons for dealing with plate armour compared to others. How much better do you think Valyrian steel swords are against plate?

Do you think a Valyrian steel sword as or more effective than than a Warhammer or polearm?

a long sword is designed to penetrate on thrusting, so a VS long sword does give an advantage over armour

a warhammer doesn't really penetrate as much as it smashes but most wahammer designs included a spike on the other side of the hammer for penetration

a polearm is preferable against mounted opponents but it also has a spike on the top

Swords are not great weapons for dealing with plate armour compared to others. How much better do you think Valyrian steel swords are against plate?

Do you think a Valyrian steel sword as or more effective than than a Warhammer or polearm?

The hammer is an extremely hard weapon to win with. One as Ned described its extremely heavy, two you need to lift it up high to use it, by lifting it up high it opens you up and leaves the areas of where you are not plated up open for stabbing. A Valyrian sword is sharper then a normal long sword, it is also lighter, and tougher. Therefor it would no break as easy going and would penetrate through the armor.

To the contrary, due to Valyrian steel being lighter, it would be harder to gain the same momentum as with a heavier blade. Less momentum = weaker impact = less damage.

Actually longswords tend to bend as they are being thrusted, loosing momentum, valyrian steel is not as bendy

Actually longswords tend to bend as they are being thrusted, loosing momentum, valyrian steel is not as bendy

They're stronger(less bendy) but due to this they're also made thinner(more bendy), so I don't think you can conclude whether the swords are more or less bendy overall.

To the contrary, due to Valyrian steel being lighter, it would be harder to gain the same momentum as with a heavier blade. Less momentum = weaker impact = less damage.

They're stronger(less bendy) but due to this they're also made thinner(more bendy), so I don't think you can conclude whether the swords are more or less bendy overall.

There is at least one additional factor,

VS seems to be more tough, hard and brittle. It could even have better atomic arrangement and more compressed.

With all that in mind, the pointy end could be made much better for piercing.

• 1 month later...

So the Hound tries a VS sword, a battle-axe and a war hammer. Which is better for killing a man in full plate?

A war hammer. Well, poleaxe would be best, but since that isn't available...

The advantages of a sword are it's flexibility and it's value as a sidearm.

I don't know why no ones said this but if yours trying to trust through plate armor if the sword does break from bending its gonna be stuck and then your with out a sword so your best be is samurai style decapitation not pretty but effective

That's what gorgets are made for.

You stab through the weak spots: face, armpit, groin. The back of the knee and the crook of the arm are viable as well, but much more difficult to hit. Or you bash him with the hilt, the mordhau is named for murder after all.

Blackfyre doesn't cut it? Doe the fact Ice can only be used on foot factor into it.

I meant any VS greatsword - it might be Ice or BlackFyre or Heartsbane - their higher weight would give them more momentum. I assumed the fight to take place on foot. Plate would be worn by knights and Lords and contrary to popular belief - after the first charge most knights used to get down and fight on foot. If the fight takes place on horseback the I'd pick a good lance over a VS Longsword - A steel pointed lance has a lot of penetration power and a much longer reach than a Longsword(at the cost of being more unwieldy than a longsowrd - but a well trained warhorse should compensate for that).

You stab through the weak spots: face, armpit, groin. The back of the knee and the crook of the arm are viable as well, but much more difficult to hit. Or you bash him with the hilt, the mordhau is named for murder after all.

Its interesting that you see so many swords (VS particularly) and so few war hammers and pole arms, for the main characters at least. I know that the series historical accuracy is whatever GRRM chooses (shield and sword) but still.

I meant any VS greatsword - it might be Ice or BlackFyre or Heartsbane - their higher weight would give them more momentum. I assumed the fight to take place on foot. Plate would be worn by knights and Lords and contrary to popular belief - after the first charge most knights used to get down and fight on foot. If the fight takes place on horseback the I'd pick a good lance over a VS Longsword - A steel pointed lance has a lot of penetration power and a much longer reach than a Longsword(at the cost of being more unwieldy than a longsowrd - but a well trained warhorse should compensate for that).

I think Blackfyre was a bastard sword, rather than a great sword. And yeah on foot was the idea, but I didn't exclude the option of knights fighting on horseback post lancing.

The hammer is an extremely hard weapon to win with. One as Ned described its extremely heavy, two you need to lift it up high to use it, by lifting it up high it opens you up and leaves the areas of where you are not plated up open for stabbing. A Valyrian sword is sharper then a normal long sword, it is also lighter, and tougher. Therefor it would no break as easy going and would penetrate through the armor.

Yeah, except that this is nonsense. Most warhammers weighed a few pounds at most. And you don't need to lift it any higher than you would a sword or axe.

Very true, but the main focus was wether or not a vs sword would be good against plate and if it can pierce it better than a regular sword and my point was regardless of wether it is or not once u pierce the plate the sword is now stuck and your out not only a sword a vs sword at that not worth it

I think Blackfyre was a bastard sword, rather than a great sword. And yeah on foot was the idea, but I didn't exclude the option of knights fighting on horseback post lancing.

The wiki says it's a greatsword - I think Dark Sister was the Bastard sword.

Archived