I don't 'love' any of the characters... is something wrong?

aceluby

It seems that almost everyone here has their favorites, yet I keep thinking as to who is my 'favorite' and I don't think I honestly have one. I like certain scenes with certain characters, but I don't like everything from a single arc and can't pick a favorite because of it. Maybe this is why I love the series so much, I'm much more enthralled with the ride as opposed to the end and I think you really need a favorite in a story like this to decide on what you 'want' to be the end. So, is something wrong here?

No?

My default stance on characters is complete ambivalence until they do something that makes me go "fuck yeah!" or "dude, no." Stannis is a good example of a character im very ambivalent on. (dont let the stans fool you!) Same with Jaime. I went from "Jaime, yer kind of a douchecanoe" to "hmmm...lets see what he does next." Sure, his burning of Cersei's letter made me go "hell yeah, brah." but i dont love him to be honest.

Sometimes a character's actions or what happens to them brings me from love/hate to ambivalence. Like Theon. I hated the guy until ADWD. Now im like "hmm..lets see what he does next."

Same here. I actually think the people who have favorites (or hate certain characters with a passion) are wrong.

:shocked:

nothing's wrong. i think it's great, actually. you'll probably be in the minority of posters who are objective about the characters of asoiaf.

Oh, I agree with this partially, so meet me the half way...

I don't think that sometimes having the favorite can take your objectivity. I personnaly aspire to objectivity regarding my favorites, but I know I fail sometimes. As Florina said, you are mostly ambivalent about certain characters until they do something good or something bad. Somehow, I am still ambivalent towards Dany, mixing it with great deal of boredom.

What's that supposed to mean?

Well how can having a favorite character (or not) be 'wrong' exactly?

I would guess that's what Florina is alluding to with her deft placement of appropriate smilie-face.

It's good to be objective, but it's more fun to say watch a sporting event and have a team to root for.

Liking one or more characters and wanting things to turn out well for them is good.

Being slavishly devoted to one to the point of ignoring their character flaws, bad deeds, or just misjudgments is taking it too far, IMnsHO.

Besides, if you do that you're not really reading the books as written, because you're interpreting everything through the filter of your love for that character.

For me personally that would gravely spoil the enjoyment of the series.

So take heart aceluby, you're not doing anything wrong. Not at all.

Well how can having a favorite character (or not) be 'wrong' exactly?

I would guess that's what Florina is alluding to with her deft placement of appropriate smilie-face.

The OP asked if it's wrong to not have a favorite character, and I replied that if anything the opposite is wrong. What exactly do you and this Florina or whatever her name is disagree with?

Thats my question. Why is it wrong to have a favorite character?

EDIT: what yolky said.

Because this isn't wrestling. If someone likes some characters more than others that's fine. But to root for them in the way some of you do or hate a character with passion shows a complete lack of understanding of the story. Also putting an emoticon without a proper response was totally uncalled for and says a lot about you as a person.

The OP asked if it's wrong to not have a favorite character, and I replied that if anything the opposite is wrong. What exactly do you and this Florina or whatever her name is disagree with?

You said you think people who have favourite characters are 'wrong'. I disagree, finding the notion completely absurd. Who you like or not, in a book, is personal and as such there is no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong'.

My fave fruit is mango. Are you going to tell me I'm wrong to have a favourite fruit?

I'm allowed a goddam favourite fruit as I'm allowed to have a favourite asoiaf character.

Because this isn't wrestling. If someone likes some characters more than others that's fine. But to root for them in the way some of you do or hate a character with passion shows a complete lack of understanding of the story. Also putting an emoticon without a proper response was totally uncalled for and says a lot about you as a person.

Some of you? I have to say being totally indifferent about characters show much greater misunderstanding of the story than having favorite. These books are written in such way that it is so easy, or there is even need to connect with certain characters, even those that are percieved as villains.

Some of you? I have to say being totally indifferent about characters show much greater misunderstanding of the story than having favorite. These books are written in such way that it is so easy, or there is even need to connect with certain characters, even those that are percieved as villains.

Who said anything about being completely indifferent? All I said was that I agree with the OP.

When I say I have favourites I mean there are characters I enjoy reading more than others e.g. Theon over Brienne, although I do enjoy most if not all the characters. I also do like Sansa but I like Tyrion more because I know I'll get a bit more wit and probably sex in his chapters than Sansa. For me my favourite characters are the ones whose arcs I find more entertaining. In fact most characters I hate haven't got POV chapters but when I hate them I'm glad that I feel that emotion about them. Also even though I hate them sometimes I hope they do well as it gives you a refreshing change if a "villian" gets a victory. I think it would be great if Ramsey gets a victory over Stannis in battle even though I can't stand Ramsey. I think it would turn the story right on it's head.

Archived