I don't 'love' any of the characters... is something wrong?

aceluby

You said you think people who have favourite characters are 'wrong'. I disagree, finding the notion completely absurd. Who you like or not, in a book, is personal and as such there is no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong'.

My fave fruit is mango. Are you going to tell me I'm wrong to have a favourite fruit?

I'm allowed a goddam favourite fruit as I'm allowed to have a favourite asoiaf character.

You clearly misinterpreted what I said. What I said was that I agreed with the OP. How you arrived at a different conclusion is beyond me. Also the example of mangoes is completely irrelevant.

Look when it comes to opinions nobody is right or wrong. If you don't have a favourite character that's fine. You can look at the story subjectively and unless you think it's bad for the story you wont get upset if a particular character is killed. If you do have a favourite character that's also fine; you can put your heart and soul behind them and hope they do well like you would favourite a sports team. It's a win win.

It would be a sad state of affairs indeed if anyone were to think that there's a right way or a wrong way to enjoy reading a book.

That said, I think there might be a right way and a wrong way to interact with people on a forum about reading a book. :P

Clinging to an opinion to the exclusion of all others could do more harm than clinging to a character to the exclusion of all others.

Just sayin'.

Im not allowed to have an opinon.

Ok.

Of course you are not... Where do you think you are? Russia, China, Azerbeijan?

Who said anything about being completely indifferent? All I said was that I agree with the OP.

First you adress the fellow members 'some of you', than attack certain member for diagreeing with you. And you said

I actually think the people who have favorites (or hate certain characters with a passion) are wrong.

and some of us consider this POV wrong, because this books are actually meant to identify with certain characters, and that of course create some more or less likable characters...

You clearly misinterpreted what I said.

here is what you said, in case you have forgotten.

I actually think the people who have favorites (or hate certain characters with a passion) are wrong.

here is what i said you said.

You said you think people who have favourite characters are 'wrong'

I'm not sure where this misinterpretation you speak of lies.

And fwiw, the mango example was a high quality response. If you disagree you are officially 'wrong'. (see what i did)

There's nothing wrong with not having a 'fav character.' I myself find it very hard to rank my favourite characters, since I like many characters for entirely different reasons. But, I do like some characters more than others, as I'm sure everyone else does, too.

There's nothing wrong with that. In my case, my OCD makes it easier for me to rank my favorite characters obssesively (Arya, Theon, Cersei, Davos, Arya, Theon, Cersei, Davos...), but I know lots of people who can't pick a favorite character when I ask them.

Archived