College Football 2013: The Season Begins, Let the Tears Begin to Fall!

Ded As Ned

Can't say that I'm surprised. The NCAA is such an incompetent, corrupt organization that a full season ban or no penalty at all would surprise me. /End Paragraph (can't do linebreaks in this browser). Unfortunately, Manziel isn't likely to get his comeuppance until the NFL. aTm plays one of the most embarrassingly easy schedules I've ever seen. Yeah, he could and likely will lose to Alabama, but past that just pure awfulness.

Agreed. If I was a USC fan like many on this board I'd be even more pissed about the Reggie Bush retroactive punishment.

Also, as an aside re the paragraph problem. I had the same trouble a week or so ago until I flipped the "Toggle editing mode" switch in the top left corner of the reply window.

right? and the things reggie bush received were intended to entice him to leave school early for the NFL (which he did not do). So USC had absolutely no reason nor motive in the affair. Their interest was in keeping him in school and keeping him eligible. There's also no evidence USC knew about it. But because they didn't cooperate with the NCAA they got the hammer. And florida state's hookers got no hammer, Cam newton's 200,000 pay check from auburn got no hammer, Manziel's zillion autograph's got no hammer, Oregon's pay to play got no hammer. Ohio State's autographs for benefits got no hammer.

And the difference is, pretend to play nice with the NCAA and you get off easy. Tell the NCAA you're innocent and you get fucked for a decade.

ESPN just said that Manziel would've had to sit all the games while they were investigating him so the lawyer and Manziel just took the 1st half suspension to end it.

Why? That's not usually how their investigations work.

NCAA hit Boise harder than this "compromise" for buying some pizzas for their recruits.

Considering that ESPN manufactured Johnny Football and broke his story, I'm not surprised it turned out the way it did. They needed page views and viewers for Sportscenter but can't have JFF miss any important games!

If they found anything out later from the investigations then A&M would have to or could be forced to forfeit those games he played. I worded it wrong or the guy from ESPN did?

I think based on the evidence they have presently, the 1/2 game suspension is based off that evidence only (I'm assuming for the large # of autographs he's signed, but not for being paid to do so). But it's not like a plea bargain where that is a final sentence. If more evidence comes out later (such as hard proof he took money to sign), the NCAA can throw the book at them if they choose to and yes, forfeit any games in which he's played.

I could be mistaken, but this is how I understand it.

I think based on the evidence they have presently, the 1/2 game suspension is based off that evidence only (I'm assuming for the large # of autographs he's signed, but not for being paid to do so). But it's not like a plea bargain where that is a final sentence. If more evidence comes out later (such as hard proof he took money to sign), the NCAA can throw the book at them if they choose to and yes, forfeit any games in which he's played.

I could be mistaken, but this is how I understand it.

Well ESPN this morning said that this suspension puts Texas A&M in the clear. I don't know if that means that if hard evidence of paying Manziel came to light then wins wouldn't be forfeited. I assume they still would. But it does mean that Texas A&M isn't going to be losing a ton of scholarships or bowl eligibility or anything because they've cooperated with the NCAA.

Such a corrupt system. It's sad that the NFL (hardly a paragon of virtue) is so much more honest.

Well ESPN this morning said that this suspension puts Texas A&M in the clear. I don't know if that means that if hard evidence of paying Manziel came to light then wins wouldn't be forfeited. I assume they still would. But it does mean that Texas A&M isn't going to be losing a ton of scholarships or bowl eligibility or anything because they've cooperated with the NCAA.

Such a corrupt system. It's sad that the NFL (hardly a paragon of virtue) is so much more honest.

That's just NUTS if true. That's like saying "we caught you stealing a CD, but now you've served your time for that so you're all good, even if later we find out you actually stole five 80" TVs in addition to the CD". Corrupt as hell.

You can bag Christmas, this is the happiest day of the year.

Not sure what to expect really from the Gators this year, it will likely come down to how the offense develops. I love good defense, but I am rather tiring of the shit offenses we've thrown out there the last 3 years. Don't think we can rely on a bunch of close wins again like last year, so to have a really good season the offense will need to start pulling its own weight. We'll see.

I will say the first game worries me a bit. We're missing a bunch of players, we typically struggle the first game of the year, it's a noon kickoff and Toledo has real football players. Recipe for a nail-biter.

Go Gators!

Woohoo!

And we actually get a pretty compelling game tonight with Ole Miss-Vandy. I actually thought about heading down to the game. I've always had a soft spot for Vandy, and since I'm in relatively close proximity now, I find myself pulling for them most of the time (when they're not playing UK, of course.)

James Franklin is a fun coach too. I like that guy - mostly because he really gets under the skin of Tennessee fans!

Yes!!! The day is finally here. Ready to head up I-40 in a few hours to yell my voice out for the Rebels! Needless to say I am essentially useless at work right now.

And we actually get a pretty compelling game tonight with Ole Miss-Vandy. I actually thought about heading down to the game. I've always had a soft spot for Vandy, and since I'm in relatively close proximity now, I find myself pulling for them most of the time (when they're not playing UK, of course.)

Dude, what? :blink: Pretty sure it's sports heresy to pull for another team in your own division.

Though in fairness, they could use the support. Vandy's got to be the only team in the country that could win 9 games in a season for the first time in nearly 100 years, and somehow manage to sell fewer season tickets the next season.

Franklin is an outstanding coach, which likely means he's not long for that program.

Dude, what? :blink: Pretty sure it's sports heresy to pull for another team in your own division.

Though in fairness, they could use the support. Vandy's got to be the only team in the country that could win 9 games in a season for the first time in nearly 100 years, and somehow manage to sell fewer season tickets the next season.

Franklin is an outstanding coach, which likely means he's not long for that program.

Well, if the day ever comes when UK and Vanderbilt are fighting for the SEC East championship, I may have to rethink that position. For the time being, I think I'm safe. :) I really don't think Vanderbilt's success negatively impacts UK at all though.

And I should point out, I'm talking Vandy football. Vandy basketball I don't particularly care for.

Well, if the day ever comes when UK and Vanderbilt are fighting for the SEC East championship, I may have to rethink that position. For the time being, I think I'm safe. :) I really don't think Vanderbilt's success negatively impacts UK at all though.

And I should point out, I'm talking Vandy football. Vandy basketball I don't particularly care for.

Fair enough. I guess from my perspective it's more of a "pecking order of hate" as far as teams in the SECW go - State, Alabama and Arkansas being firmly at the top of that list. So I do root for the other 3 teams when they're playing one of those. :)

Just read that WVU only has 12 scholarship seniors and not all of them are starters. WVU also redshirted a lot of guys that I thought would play. It looks like the level of depth needed to compete in the Big 12 is starting to get there, gotta give Holgorsen that much. In the Stewart era WVU wasn't using all of its scholarships and half the recruits never made it to campus. Looks like almost all of the kids WVU landed this year are now on the team.

This year is clearly a rebuilding year and I expect more than a couple L's. But if WVU is even remotely good this year I think that next year will be pretty decent. That is the thing I'm most excited about with this years' team. If it looks like they've got a lot of potential, 2014 might be a great year. I'm ALREADY excited for the season opener against Alabama in 2014. Though a 4-8 season from WVU this year would put a bit of a damper on that.

Archived