Ser Gerold Dayne aka Darkstar: Character Analysis

The Taxman

I don't think the "finest knight" necessarily means the best swordsman. Arthur Dayne is as renowned for his skill as he is for being chivalrous.

The lioness Darkstar and Arianne are referring to is Cersei. Who would Cersei prefer if there was a Dance of Lions, Tommen or Myrcella? The one in her den-Tommen.

I like Darkstar, I really do. But no man stand against Hotah. No man!

Good thread though. I love me some Darkstar so any analysis of him is welcomed by me. Just remember what I said about Hotah.

''Is that what Darkstar is, a man?'' - Ser Daemon Sand. I think it's included in the OP. ;)

Dawn made Dayne better, but without it he was still the equal of Barristan in his prime. Do you think Darkstar is?

Probably not. For Ned Stark to say that Ser Arthur was the finest knight he'd ever seen is truly high praise from just about the best source. And if legend is to be believe, they don't seem to make knights and swordsmen like they used to. On the other hand, if anyone in Westeros would become a fine swordsman, I'd imagine it would likely be a man such as Darkstar, raised in the halls of Starfall in the martial tradition of his house, with some serious familial vengeance to reap. If he doesn't end up being a total badass I would be very surprised. But as others have pointed out, he hasn't done squat yet besides swing his sword at Mycella (unsuccessfully? not sure...)

Probably not. For Ned Stark to say that Ser Arthur was the finest knight he'd ever seen is truly high praise from just about the best source. And if legend is to be believe, they don't seem to make knights and swordsmen like they used to. On the other hand, if anyone in Westeros would become a fine swordsman, I'd imagine it would likely be a man such as Darkstar, raised in the halls of Starfall in the martial tradition of his house, with some serious familial vengeance to reap. If he doesn't end up being a total badass I would be very surprised. But as others have pointed out, he hasn't done squat yet besides swing his sword at Mycella (unsuccessfully? not sure...)

I don't think he meant to kill Myrcella. No way.

OK, putting the "of the night" on context is useful. However we only see him through Arianne's POV, and basing an assessment of Darkstar's character on her opinion is pretty iffy. She's a pretty unreliable witness.

It's not just her opinion though, Doran believes he is "the most dangerous man in Dorne"

Another thing that could hint at Ser Gerold being jealous of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, is that his nickname is Darkstar. This is a complete opposite of the Sword of the Morning, so this could be something to do with Darkstar not liking Ser Arthur and being jealous of him because he's the Sword of the Morning and he's not.

It's not just her opinion though, Doran believes he is "the most dangerous man in Dorne"

Most dangerous covers a lot of ground. Too much emphasis is placed on fighting ability. Jon Connington is one of the most dangerous men in Westeros because he's a Greyscale carrier.

Arianne thinks Darkstar can destroy the Yronwoods singlehandedly. Dream on, girl.

Lastly, the part where DS escapes after the interception is a huge sign that he's in on it, likely the one who ratted Arianne out. Traitors are dangerous, I guess.

That 'of the night' line only seems odd when it's quoted out of context, it's a direct corollary to what Myrcella said about Arthur Dayne being of the morning - he's pitting himself as Arthur's polar opposite

You have to wonder how sophisticated someone's humour is if they genuinely find themselves GUFFAWING at something as innocuous as this

how on earth can you analyze this guy over 2 pages worth of material ?

not sure if impressed or think that this is stupid

I am indifferent to Darkstar truthfully, but I think this thread did a pretty damn good job at the attempt, no?

snip

Part of the reason that people dislike the character is this:

In one post, you documented the entirety of role, including every single action/statement he made in the entire ASOIAF series. To summarize what we see of him:

1. He shows up with a nickname, leers at a character.

2. Talks big in front of a 12yr old girl.

3. Tries to kill a 12yr old girl (and fails)

4. Runs away.

His demonstrated prowess in escaping isn't even anything that amazing when you consider the fact that when he ran, Areo Hotah and his men were engaged in combat with Arys Oakheart. All those crossbows were fired at Arys and take a long time to reload. So he took a paniced slash at Myrcella, and took off during the confusion.

He has had less character development than Ser Shadrick, the Mad Mouse that Brienne met outside Maidenpool. And personally, I think a short guy that took up a mad mouse on his arms was more interesting than a jealous noble with a cool name.

Your post is longer than the amount of page time he receives. I dont doubt Darkstar has a greater role to play. Itd be silly to think otherwise. But as it stands we have nothing to go on bar him being a potential player in Dornes game. Just not enough info, even when you unpack his presence as well as you have

I'm pretty sure the OP mentioned Darkstar more frequently than the books...

Anyway, allow me to explain it:

Darkstar claims that he is of the night.

Batman has stated that "I am vengance, I am the night"

Darkstar is Batman.

Wait no, if batman is the night, then being of the night either means being created from the night or belonging to/serving the night. This would make Darkstar either Batmans child, which since his only known child is a girl, this seems unlikely. The only other possibility is that Darkstar is Batman's servant (read: Butler), therefore, Darkstar is Alfred.

I've been wondering if Doran's "Aside from Darkstar, your fellow plotters were no more than foolish children," line was a clue that Darkstar was the member of her group that ratted. Maybe Doran actually let Darkstar escape and he is part of Doran's long-game strategy.

If you read the entire Arianne chapters again very closely I think it's clear that Darkstar is NOT the informant.

Just to say I like Darkstar as well, but I think the reason why he's a bit sour towards Ser Arthur Dayne is because Darkstar was jealous of Ser Arthur being a great warrior, and the Sword of the Morning.

Ser Gerold is in his late twenties so he'd have been old enough to know and remember Ser Arthur.

He's sour towards Arthur Dayne because House Dayne has produced a handful of fine Knights yet Ser Arthur Dayne is the only one that gets remembered. Oakheart mentions that because Ser Arthur Dayne was a great knight and Darkstar comes back with the fact that he had Dawn.

Dawn made Dayne better, but without it he was still the equal of Barristan in his prime. Do you think Darkstar is?

We'll see in TWOW. I think most posters are certain he will kill at least Balon Swan. He will most likely kill Obara too but Areo will be protected by plot armor because he is basically Dorne's POV while Arianne is at Storms End.

The line is that men call him Darkstar. Sure, we can't really call him out for the nickname if that's true. But he says "and I am of the night." The diction implies that is all him and that part of the line is the one that's really funny, not the nickname itself.

I don't think it could be of any real proof of swordsmanship, it just means he's probably quick and knows the land well. At the end of the day, all his done is maimed a princess

At the end of the day, all the Red Viper did was get killed by the Gregor but managed to poison him to his alleged death. Funnily enough, Ser Robert may actually be the Mountain.

GRRM stated in an interview regarding this matter that it could even happen to Jamie or Selmy because certain things are unpredictable. Her horse shied away at the last minute and she avoided a fatal blow... but then again this info came from Doran which would have came from Areo... only thing we are uncertain of is Darkstar's intentions.

Another thing that could hint at Ser Gerold being jealous of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, is that his nickname is Darkstar. This is a complete opposite of the Sword of the Morning, so this could be something to do with Darkstar not liking Ser Arthur and being jealous of him because he's the Sword of the Morning and he's not.

I don't think Darkstar cares about the title of Sword of the Morning as much as he wants Dawn.

Archived