Ser Gerold Dayne aka Darkstar: Character Analysis

The Taxman

I'll not take Gerold's word that the renown of Ser Arthur was purely down to his sword at face value seeing as he comes off a bit like a bitter relative jealous at the success and due to the fact that everyone who did see Arthur in action has nothing but good words to say.

Also Dawn only goes to a Dayne who has proven themselves worthy of it so Arthur must have done something for and and/or Darkstar got turned from having it and is pissy over the whole situation

Darkstar was a kid during the Arthur days. Still, Arthur is dead to the hands of Howland Reed and Ned. C'mon man.

Darkstar was a kid during the Arthur days. Still, Arthur is dead to the hands of Howland Reed and Ned. C'mon man.

I hope sometime soon we're finally informed of what the hell happened there that day. I can't see the crannog man jumping wildly on Dayne's back to hold him off. Something weird and indirect must have happened.

Although I think the jury is out on how "dangerous" Darkstar is, I am hoping he proves to be an intelligent badass.

I was just thinking, maybe harming (or perhaps even killing if the opportunity had been better) Myrcella was his way to throwing Arianne under the bus - he knew anything he ended up doing to Myrcella would discredit Arianne in Doran's eyes. My crackpot guess is he has a huge chip on his shoulders - not just about Sir Arthur Dayne, but it might also include the Martells (especially if the forum theory that he could be Oberyn's son could be proven).

I also thought it was pretty lame that he couldn't even kill a defenceless girl when he's suppose to be a great swordsman, but maybe his plan was only to discredit Arianne and get a rise out of Doran Martell.

After all the analysis done on his character, I've come to like the theory that he's working entirely for Doran, who has basically the entire kingdom in his pocket without them all knowing it. After Oberyn's death, he hatched this plan, and eventually the common people are yelling at him and throwing fruit at his litter and it's just another provocation on the path to inciting war. But that's probably giving him way too much credit.

Good thread though, OP.

Nice analysis, OP. I really like the point by point references from the books. It gives a sturdy look into the character despite the lack of in-page knowledge we have on him. I always kind of had the feeling that Dayne was working for Doran. A pawn, to be sure, to Doran's long-term scheming. Once Doran realized his daughter was planning her treason, he infiltrated her group with Dayne as double-agent with orders to slice Myrcella and take off. Doran clearly intends to get rid of Balon Swann. My thought is that between Obara, Hotah, and Dayne, they will make it look like he died in battle trying to avenge his injured princess.

Consider that Doran called Dayne the "most dangerous man in Dorne." Why? Because he's cunning and a highly skilled warrior? Could be. Could also be that he's dangerous because he know's part of Doran's plan being that he's part of it. Could be either way and I, for one, am interested to see how the Dorne situation plays out.

Not sure how I feel about the guy. He's, mmm, interesting for sure. That "of the night" line was cheesy, though. The whole episode that ended with Myrcella's wounding was a fiasco, the situation destabilized so quickly I couldn't really decide if he had time to make sure he killed Myrcella or not. In retrospect he didn't really have to kill her to piss the Lannisters off. Cutting her frickin ear off still makes Dorne look really bad.

Nice analysis, OP. I really like the point by point references from the books. It gives a sturdy look into the character despite the lack of in-page knowledge we have on him. I always kind of had the feeling that Dayne was working for Doran. A pawn, to be sure, to Doran's long-term scheming. Once Doran realized his daughter was planning her treason, he infiltrated her group with Dayne as double-agent with orders to slice Myrcella and take off. Doran clearly intends to get rid of Balon Swann. My thought is that between Obara, Hotah, and Dayne, they will make it look like he died in battle trying to avenge his injured princess.

Consider that Doran called Dayne the "most dangerous man in Dorne." Why? Because he's cunning and a highly skilled warrior? Could be. Could also be that he's dangerous because he know's part of Doran's plan being that he's part of it. Could be either way and I, for one, am interested to see how the Dorne situation plays out.

This has been my feeling ever since first reading that chapter in AFFC. Doran is playing a long con and I think Darkstar is part of it.

I hope sometime soon we're finally informed of what the hell happened there that day. I can't see the crannog man jumping wildly on Dayne's back to hold him off. Something weird and indirect must have happened.

This entire Tower of Joy stuff is very strange. Why should 3 of the best knights of the seven kingdoms, including the best knight with a Valyrian steel sword, lose a fight against these Northern men that probably are way worse fighters and also don't seem to be highly intelligent. I cannot reason my statement, but I think that at least Ser Arthur is alive; it might also be that none of them died (I'm not even sure about Lyanna). We haven't heard about the corpses of them from anybody besides Eddard IIRC and it just seems mysterious. I think he doesn't really want to thin about this time of his life since it barely appears/only in a dream. All of them (the 3 KG and the other Northerners + Ashara Dayne could just have sailed off to Essos or Sothoryos. I am pretty sure that the entire plot will be revealed by Bran in TWOW or ADOS.

Regarding Darkstar, I could also imagine him to be Arthur Dayne. Of course, it's quite impossible for his age aso, but this might also just be a magic trick (Rattleshirt/Mance, something of this kind). Moreover, we know nothing about Darkstar's parentage yet. And in addition to this, I'm pretty sure that he intended to cut off Myrcella's ear, but did not want to kill her. If he wanted to kill her, he could have done it easily; an 11-year old girl is not that hard to hit I assume.

Edit: Also I find it pretty intersting that House Whent and House Darry have no one of their "male line" left - I just cannot believe that the KGs of their houses are dead. The old KG just sounded to be too awesome to die one by one.

The most dangerous man in Dorne... Hmm.

-he knows too much

-too skilled of a swordsman and too venomous to die

-unknown intentions

Combination of these three things. I highly doubt this guy is in cahoots with Doran. DS would probably lose his mind with how reluctant Doran is to take action.

Ok thanks. I have read that, but I must have forgotten that part.

NP-

From what I recall Daemon Sand is saying that Arianne should not be so happy that Obara et al have been sent to kill DS, as he may well end up killing Them. She says something about how he's dangerous, but against those three? (Hotah, Obara, Swann) He's just one after all, or similar. Daemon asks 'Is that what he is, a man? I wonder...he's more viper than even Oberyn was. He said he was dangerous and ought to be put down. A shame he never got around to it.

That's just from memory, and I haven't read it in a long time, so grain of salt, but I think it's pretty closr.

I like all the quotes you put up its good to see lots of evidence in posts (im guilty of not doing that well enough).

Darkstar does seem like a dangerous person and i also don't really understand the whole hilarity behind his character, he seems just as corny as some others and though i do admit he can say some strange things like 'for i am of the night' which to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense that makes him almost more appealing to me as he is a new unusual and different character.

The story of the smiling knight is that Arthur Dayne gave him (the smiling knight) his sword before the dueled in a 1v1 aha and Arthur Dayne won. Plus the Smiling Knight was apparently a very formidable opponent. There is some famous quote people masturbate to that arthur daye said, personally i think its a bit corny and another reason im not a huge fan of the guy, with the addition that everyone seems to orgasm over him despite the fact that like this guy says:

how on earth can you analyze this guy over 2 pages worth of material ?

not sure if impressed or think that this is stupid

there is only like 2 pages worth of material of the guy and some people act like they know his life story...

I would also like to know a bit more about Arthur Dayne before he got Dawn as you said their is almost no (if not nothing at all) on his life pre Knight of the Morning title

I like all the quotes you put up its good to see lots of evidence in posts (im guilty of not doing that well enough).

Darkstar does seem like a dangerous person and i also don't really understand the whole hilarity behind his character, he seems just as corny as some others and though i do admit he can say some strange things like 'for i am of the night' which to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense that makes him almost more appealing to me as he is a new unusual and different character.

What doesn't make sense about that "I am of the night" quote? He quite literally states his disapproval of Arthur Dayne specifically, who is all about the "Sword of the Morning", and the sword 'Dawn'. He is quite blatantly saying that he is not like Arthur Dayne with his honour, loyalty, and chivalry. He is the antithesis of the Daynes that people know and love, hence "of the night" contrasting with "Sword of the Morning" and 'Dawn'. This shouldn't be hard to see.

The story of the smiling knight is that Arthur Dayne gave him (the smiling knight) his sword before the dueled in a 1v1 aha and Arthur Dayne won. Plus the Smiling Knight was apparently a very formidable opponent. There is some famous quote people masturbate to that arthur daye said, personally i think its a bit corny and another reason im not a huge fan of the guy, with the addition that everyone seems to orgasm over him despite the fact that like this guy says:

Dayne didn't give the Smiling Knight his sword literally, he figuratively gave it to him when he stuck it through some part of the Smiling Knights body. What Dayne did do is allow the Smiling Knight to pick up a new sword after he broke the first on Dawn.

Archived