*Crackpot* Roose Bolton is a descendant of the Night's King

The Great Walrus

If you want to add to the NK descendant theory, butterbumps brought up an interesting parallel between the NK's corpse bride and Ramsay's necrophilia. But I still think that it's a bit of a stretch, because the text isn't exactly clear on whether Ramsay is a necrophiliac, and also because this doesn't seem to be a common occurence among Boltons.

Wait, i've never heard of Ramsay being a necrophiliac, so that angle is new to me.

He doesnt care if his children live, despite the fact he supposedly doesnt like Ramsay.

He doesn't "care" in a sense that he's not gonna get emotional about it (since he has no emotions). But I think you're referring to what he said to Reek, and we definitely have to take all that with a pinch of salt. He flat out told him that he knew he was supposed to spy on Roose on behalf of Ramsay, so all the information he gave him were pretty carefully chosen.

He told Reek, that a.) he's accepted the fact that Ramsay will be his heir, and b.) that Ramsay has nothing to fear from Roose, since he doesn't want to become a kinslayer by murdering him. Sure, like Roose "I personally stabbed the King in the North in the heart at the Red Wedding" Bolton cares about this shit. And he most definitely doesn't want a loose cannon like Ramsay to be his heir. He makes use of him for now, yes, but I'll be damned if he doesn't already have a plan on how to get rid of him.

Wait, i've never heard of Ramsay being a necrophiliac, so that angle is new to me.

The man laughed. “The wretch is dead.” He stepped closer. “The girl’s fault. If she had not run so far, his horse would not have lamed, and we might have been able to flee. I gave him mine when I saw the riders from the ridge. I was done with her by then, and he liked to take his turn while they were still warm.

Like I said, it's a bit vague.

If the theory about Roose killing Domeric is true, this could definitely add to a parallel between Craster and Roose, as both men sacrifice their sons. But yeah....I'm not convinced.

Like I said, it's a bit vague.

If the theory about Roose killing Domeric is true, this could definitely add to a parallel between Craster and Roose, as both men sacrifice their sons. But yeah....I'm not convinced.

Huh, i wouldn't exactly be surprised if Ramsay enjoyed necrophilia.

And for what it's worth, it's just a sort of pet theory of mine, i'm not out here to convert anyone.

walrus--

I wrote a tome in that Blood from a Bolton thread on this subject, and pulled a shitton of Bolton-Others parallels. Beyond the ice eyes, there's also the creepy way Ygritte describes a Bolton punishing Bael's son for kinslaying, the bizarre "mating habits" the Bolton and the Others seem to share, and other really curious things like the existence of Reek in the first place (the fact that this "Reek" had unfettered access to Mrs. Botlon's bedroom to steal her perfume should raise alarm bells-- is this a previous son of Roose's?) The OP is a long read, but more than the TL;DR speculations I give (which is that the Boltons come from the the NK's son), it's just a thorough compilation of all the parallels.

ETA: I should add that on "mating habits" I pointed out Reek's necrophillia-- I don't know if Ramsay does this, but the mating habits of Roose and Ramsay (wrt "hunting maids") sounds similar to Old Nan's despition of the way the Others hunt women.

I would. It's totally contrary to his character.

Yeah, pretty much, Ramsay delights in the suffering of the people he harms. Raping a dead woman that is unable to feel pain would probably do nothing for him. It's why he often slits their throat after flaying them alive. It seems more like a Reek thing to do, as from the descriptions of his character, he seems just as feral and depraved, if not worse.

walrus--

I wrote a tome in that Blood from a Bolton thread on this subject, and pulled a shitton of Bolton-Others parallels. Beyond the ice eyes, there's also the creepy way Ygritte describes a Bolton punishing Bael's son for kinslaying, the bizarre "mating habits" the Bolton and the Others seem to share, and other really curious things like the existence of Reek in the first place (the fact that this "Reek" had unfettered access to Mrs. Botlon's bedroom to steal her perfume should raise alarm bells-- is this a previous son of Roose's?) The OP is a long read, but more than the TL;DR speculations I give (which is that the Boltons come from the the NK's son), it's just a thorough compilation of all the parallels.

ETA: I should add that on "mating habits" I pointed out Reek's necrophillia-- I don't know if Ramsay does this, but the mating habits of Roose and Ramsay (wrt "hunting maids") sounds similar to Old Nan's despition of the way the Others hunt women.

Glad I'm not the only one to suspect Reek might have been another of Roose's bastards. The ruse Ramsay pulled in ACOK would be easier if they looked a little alike. The stench of Reek might have been indicative of a corrupt and evil soul, perhaps from Other blood.

I'm quite surprised how much credence this theory seems to have...some thoughts on this:

When I first came across the Boltons in AGOT, my initial thought was that the sinister sigil, the name of the keep, and the eyes/demeanour of Roose were something of a red herring - I thought it would be too obvious for a writer like GRRM to make the guy with a flayed man as his heraldry who lives at the 'Dreadfort' and has creepy pale eyes turn out to be a 'bad guy'. I was pretty sold on this while he was a loyal bannerman to Robb - naturally the Red Wedding put paid to this notion. So perhaps I am being naive, but I still think it would be a bit...uninspired to have him turn out to be supernaturally evil, as opposed to just regular human evil.

But hey, maybe it's a 'counter' red herring...

As to Roose being an agent of the Others/'Great Other' (he could have Other ancestry without being an agent or servant of them, or even aware of this heritage), consider his actions in light of Tywin's comment re. the Red Wedding. This event seems all very 'evil', but Tywin asserts that by killing a few men in a taboo manner, far more death and suffering has been averted by ending the war. Were Roose Bolton an agent of the Others, ending the war and thereby strengthening the crown and the realm, and allowing thousands of Northern men to return to the hitherto undefended North would probably not please his masters. Continuing to exhaust the realm's armies and keeping the North vulnerable while the corpses stack up by perpetuating the war probably would.

(Of course, this is assuming the Others are planning an invasion and/or want to destroy human life - neither of which we know for sure...)

And while others do use blood leeching, it's always as a strictly medical procedure, and it's never done in the amount that Roose does it.

Far from this being something sinister, I think Roose is just a man concerned with his health and well-being. In addition to the leeching, he also professes the benefits of prunes for 'moving the bowels' (to Jaime in ASOS), and IIRC, he doesn't drink. I think if Roose Bolton lived in our world, he would have regular check-ups at the GP and shop at Whole Foods.

>shudder< I don't remember this, is it from ACOK? It's ages since I've read that book. I remember 'Reek' is caught by someone doing something 'unspeakable', but I don't recall if it's the real Reek or if it's actually Ramsay at this point...This suggested necrophilia to me, as people in Westeros don't shy away from speaking of rape, so 'unspeakable' has to be something pretty (extremely) disgusting...but I guess it could just (!) be flaying...

ETA: What was the book he had in Harrenhal?

Roose doesn't have ancestors.

Who is his father? What are the names of the previous Lord Boltons?

(Deafening Silence)

He is the Eternal Lord of the Dreadfort. The only Lord Bolton there has ever been.

Mwuhahahahahahahahaha

(this is not mutually exclusive with him being a descendant of the Night's King)

(It also does not make him an offical "Sanctioned by Count Chocula Rules" vampire, he is merely a supernatural vampire-esque creature with an abnormal lifespan)

(the book in Harrenhall was burnt because he destroys information that might give up his game, this is how he survives through the generations, people are too afraid to ask, or he kills them off, or destroys every shred of evidence he can get his little vampire-bat-claws upon)

He doesn't "care" in a sense that he's not gonna get emotional about it (since he has no emotions). But I think you're referring to what he said to Reek, and we definitely have to take all that with a pinch of salt. He flat out told him that he knew he was supposed to spy on Roose on behalf of Ramsay, so all the information he gave him were pretty carefully chosen.

He told Reek, that a.) he's accepted the fact that Ramsay will be his heir, and b.) that Ramsay has nothing to fear from Roose, since he doesn't want to become a kinslayer by murdering him. Sure, like Roose "I personally stabbed the King in the North in the heart at the Red Wedding" Bolton cares about this shit. And he most definitely doesn't want a loose cannon like Ramsay to be his heir. He makes use of him for now, yes, but I'll be damned if he doesn't already have a plan on how to get rid of him.

And how about the fact that he did'nt really care that Ramsay supposedly killed his trueborn son Domeric? Or why would he arrange for Ramsay to become Lord of WF by marrying "Arya"?

Archived