Small Questions v 10011

Stubby

Are Arryns always Wardens of the East, Lannisters; West, Starks; North; and Tyrell's of the South? What about the Batatheons and Tully's? Can there be any switching?

Most likely, yes. Even though there are exceptions - for one, Roose Bolton is the current Warden of the North and Robert thought about giving Jaime the East after Jon Arryn's death.

If you exclude the Tyrells (who have the largest single army in Westeros), the rest of the traditional Wardens are the older Houses, who used to be kings in their own right - Arryns, Lannisters and Starks. So, apart from being a military title, it might also be an honorary one.

For the previous books how much notice was given before a release date? I don't mean GRRM guessing I mean a date that was fairly set in stone. As in, say hypothetically the book was coming out December 31st this year, when would we be told that?

For a release date to be set the book has to be done and submitted to the publisher, then they need time to edit and mass-produce it. I'm guessing Martin will make a blog post or something when he's submitted it.

Any idea why Tytos Lannister allowed all his children to marry his bannerman rather than seek marriages between the other great houses?

Most high lord marriages actually seem to be with bannerman. Mace Tyrell is married to a Hightower bannerwoman(haha). The Catelyn Tully and Brandon Stark arranged marriage didn't seem to be normal. Not only was she a high lord's daughter, she was also a southerner and it seemed unusual. The Starks are one of the oldest and proudest families in Westeros and one of their Lords was married to a member of Clan Flint. That seems really low on the Northern totem pole.

Genna actually isn't even married to a Lannister bannerman. She is married to a Frey which is a Tully bannerman. You should also take into account that Tytos was probably a good man but was seen as a weak Lord so people could talk him into things. I seriously doubt anyone was going to make Tywin Lannister marry someone he didn't want to. Kevan may have also been in love with his wife a member of House Swyft like Tywin was in love with his. Also the more children the high lord has , the more the sons are less likely that they will get that great of marriages because they aren't heirs to anything.

Are the Words for House Dayne known? I read somewhere they were "the sword of the morning" another source said "fallen and reborn".

I think it's not known yet. The "Sword of the Morning" is a title of Arthur Dayne. For the "Fallen and Reborn," see quote from Ran:

Fallen and Reborn is made up by someone at random, maybe someone who was playing the tabletop game or something and wanted words for the house.

I've the house words from GRRM, but he wasn't particularly happy with it and wasn't sure it'd be the final set of words... but I can't really say what they are. So keep speculating.

I will say I've always favored "Dawn Brings Light"... but maybe that's too on-the-nose. ;)

Was the "Great spring sickness" a natural illness?

Probably,I guess it was similar to the Bubonic Plague,Aerys I had the bodies of the dead burnt using Wildfire.

It is mentioned in ADWD that the great lions of the West are all but gone. Do we know what they were? Are they different from the lion on the Lannisters' sigil?

Cersei seems to remember seeing and touching Lions at the Rock.I guess they were either like the African Lion or maybe (and this is a guess due to the terrain) some thing like the Mountain Lion(Puma)

Archived