Small Questions v 10011

Stubby

In aCoK when Rodrik is rallying the north to take back WF from Theon, no Umbers came to his call. Why didn't they come?

Not sure,I think they were conserving their forces.

How old do you think Victarion is?

A guess is about in his late 30's to early 40's.

Is there any explanation or suggestion in the text as to how Sybelle and Tywin communicated between the fall of the Crag and the capitulation of Riverrun?

Up until she left the Crag with Robb's likely just ravens. After she leaves the Crag and is at Riverrun, she might not have been in contact about the specifics of the Red Wedding. After all, she did lose a son there. It would be in Tywin's character to not tell Sybell anything more than she had to know.

Up until she left the Crag with Robb's likely just ravens. After she leaves the Crag and is at Riverrun, she might not have been in contact about the specifics of the Red Wedding. After all, she did lose a son there. It would be in Tywin's character to not tell Sybell anything more than she had to know.

When taking a castle ASOIAF folks always post archers town ravens. The rookery is always one of the first targets after the breech. Sybell wasn't sending or receiving any ravens after Robb took the Cragg.

Not sure,I think they were conserving their forces.

Possibly or maybe there wasn't time. Maybe a bird didn't get through. Rodrik sent the summons from TS and gathered men from south and east of WF. LH was the farthest away. But I don't see any reason for it. The Umbers were thought by all to be Stark loyalists. The GJ wasn't taken captive yet. So there wasn't any reason for the Umbers to withhold men unless they didn't have any to spare, couldn't get there in time, or didn't get word.

When taking a castle ASOIAF folks always post archers town ravens. The rookery is always one of the first targets after the breech. Sybell wasn't sending or receiving any ravens after Robb took the Cragg.

We have Greatjon, Robett Glover, Karstark, and Maege Mormont all raiding other places in the Westerlands and Robb is bed-ridden in the Crag. The known people with Robb at the Crag were Smalljon and Black Walder. It all comes down to who is Robb's second in command at the Crag. If they are not diligent enough, Sybell might have been able to conduct correspondence.

We have Greatjon, Robett Glover, Karstark, and Maege Mormont all raiding other places in the Westerlands and Robb is bed-ridden in the Crag. The known people with Robb at the Crag were Smalljon and Black Walder**. It all comes down to who is Robb's second in command at the Crag. If they are not diligent enough, Sybell might have been able to conduct correspondence.

**That right there says a lot to me. Obviously the Freys were part of any secret comm, but I hadn't seen that particular fact pointed out before.

We have Greatjon, Robett Glover, Karstark, and Maege Mormont all raiding other places in the Westerlands and Robb is bed-ridden in the Crag. The known people with Robb at the Crag were Smalljon and Black Walder. It all comes down to who is Robb's second in command at the Crag. If they are not diligent enough, Sybell might have been able to conduct correspondence.

Granted, the Greatjon is the one who delivers the news to Robb of the death of "Bran and Rickon," but it is implied that Sybell had been conspiring from before Jeyne sleeps with Robb, potentially weeks, all the time his wound is being tended and Robb's forces are off elsewhere raiding.

Granted, the Greatjon is the one who delivers the news to Robb of the death of "Bran and Rickon," but it is implied that Sybell had been conspiring from before Jeyne sleeps with Robb, potentially weeks, all the time his wound is being tended and Robb's forces are off elsewhere raiding.

I do believe the Spicers were shrewd enough to know what needed to be done from the get-go. But I don't believe they contacted Tywin until Rolph arrived at the Golden Tooth.

**That right there says a lot to me. Obviously the Freys were part of any secret comm, but I hadn't seen that particular fact pointed out before.

It seems that Tywin plotted with the Freys and the Westerlings separately:

...Raynald was a knight and went with the rebels to the Twins. If I had known what was to happen there, I would never have allowed that.” There was a hint of reproach in her voice. “Raynald knew nought of any... of the understanding with your lord father. He may be a captive at the Twins.”

Or he may be dead. Walder Frey would not have known of the understanding either.

Anyway Walder wouldn't have had reason to plot until he got word of Robb's marriage.

It seems that Tywin plotted with the Freys and the Westerlings separately:

Anyway Walder wouldn't have had reason to plot until he got word of Robb's marriage.

No doubt that is true, but I trust no word or action of Black Walder (in particular among Freys) at any time. Considering what the Freys stood to gain through their plotting with the Lannisters (or lose through plotting against them) I'd be very surprised if it turns out they weren't up to no good all along.

No doubt that is true, but I trust no word or action of Black Walder (in particular among Freys) at any time. Considering what the Freys stood to gain through their plotting with the Lannisters (or lose through plotting against them) I'd be very surprised if it turns out they weren't up to no good all along.

Nah they were all in until Jeyne.

Thinking about Aegon I. If Visneya was his older sister, why was Aegon the ruler of Dragonstone and the 7 kingdoms. Shouldn't it have technically been Visneya's reign? Visneya seems to have been the better warrior and perhaps ruler but it doesn't seem like she would have been well liked by the people of Westeros. Is this why Aegon also married Visneya despite loving Rhaenys? To prevent a civil war?

Visneya was born in 29BC

Aegon I in 27BC

Rhaenys in 26BC

Thinking about Aegon I. If Visneya was his older sister, why was Aegon the ruler of Dragonstone and the 7 kingdoms. Shouldn't it have technically been Visneya's reign? Visneya seems to have been the better warrior and perhaps ruler but it doesn't seem like she would have been well liked by the people of Westeros. Is this why Aegon also married Visneya despite loving Rhaenys? To prevent a civil war?

Visneya was born in 29BC

Aegon I in 27BC

Rhaenys in 26BC

Male heirs before female heirs is the custom.

I think Aegon married both his sisters to make sure that they can't be used as leverage when it comes to war.

I thought that was more of an andal/westerosi custom than a Targaryen one. Which was why the dance of dragons happened at all.

The Dance of the Dragons wasn't so much just that Rhaenyra was older, it was that Viserys I had specifically designated her as his heir. That, as I understand it, was the root of her claim.

How many months passed from Robb calling his banners to him taking the Crag?

There is this (non-official) timeline which is quite wonderful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aj_uNZmcJaTddG9BVU5tRnJJTE5KcE5JRkFha1ZfNUE&pli=1

It suggests that 29.10.298 (or 10/29 if You prefer that way) Robb prepares for war, then 1.12.298 he leaves Winterfell, and 16.9.299 takes Crag.

That is 9,5 months after leaving WF and 10,5 months after sending first messages to his bannermen.

Archived