Small Questions v 10011

Stubby

Alleras is Sarella, natural daughter of Oberyn and the daughter of a trading captain from the Summer Isles. Well, Quhuru Mo is a trading captain from the Summer Isles. His daughter is Kojja Mo. Kojja acts maternally with Mance's son aboard the Cinnamon Wind. Coincidence?

I never put the two together. I don't see why they would necessarily be linked. Surely there must be other women from the summer isles whose fathers are trading captains.

I never put the two together. I don't see why they would necessarily be linked. Surely there must be other women from the summer isles whose fathers are trading captains.

Well, in literature there are few coincidences. If a shoe fits*, that's usually enough to conclude that it also belongs to the person.

In this case however, the shoe doesn't quite fit: According to the AFFC appendix, Sallera's mum is a trading captain herself (of the Feathered Kiss), not just the daughter of one, so unless some strange twist happened before AFFC which the appendix is nevertheless still unaware, Sarella's mum isn't Kojjo Mo.

-------

*Edit: To be precise, if a shoe fits exactly one person shown on screen

He also read two Barristan chapters, and portions of one Victarion chapter. The Vic one is on youtube, the Selmy chapters are not available, only notes and summaries.

ETA: He also read a Tyrion chapter, only the summary is available though.

Aren't there two chapters, Arianne I, and Arianne II that have either been released, or read? In the first she gets the news that she is going, and the second she gets to the point of meeting his men? That she has to wait, because he took the lead in taking a castle?

So why are there only two epilogues so far in the series? Is it because they represent an act break within the story. Like the first three books are act one and books four and five are act two.

I very much think so. Many storylines are finished after storm of swords or set up to kick into gear, while feast and dance also form quite a good unit by the way both cover roughly the same time span.

If you want to return to the initially planned three-book-format (not that it supposedly works anymore), I feel that the epilogue always serves as the final point of each of these acts.

Therefore, I am quite sure we will get no epilogue in TWOW.

Well, in literature there are few coincidences. If a shoe fits*, that's usually enough to conclude that it also belongs to the person.

In this case however, the shoe doesn't quite fit: According to the AFFC appendix, Sallera's mum is a trading captain herself (of the Feathered Kiss), not just the daughter of one, so unless some strange twist happened before AFFC which the appendix is nevertheless still unaware, Sarella's mum isn't Kojjo Mo.

-------

*Edit: To be precise, if a shoe fits exactly one person shown on screen

GRRM does parallels in which apparent coincidences hide only to fade apart.

Hi Experts, yesterday I was reading GoT, when I stepped onto this quote in Jon chapter:

The rest of the afternoon passed as if in a dream. Jon could not have said where he walked, what he did, who he spoke with. Ghost was with him, he knew that much. The silent presence of the direwolf gave him comfort. The girls do not even have that much, he thought. Their wolves might have kept them safe, but Lady is dead and Nymeria's lost, they're all alone.

So I was wondering: when did he come to know what happened with his sisters'wolves?

Did somebody really send a craven for such a child fight? Or did Jon use his wrag powers to know it?

So I was wondering: when did he come to know what happened with his sisters'wolves?

Did somebody really send a craven for such a child fight? Or did Jon use his wrag powers to know it?

It's possible that all of this was in the letter that came after Neds arrest.

Most likely, he found out from letters that were sent from Winterfell about Bran's recovery, or the news simply came to the Wall. After all, those direwolves quickly became famous and the children's fight was elevated on state level. He must have found it out off-stage.

Most likely, he found out from letters that were sent from Winterfell about Bran's recovery, or the news simply came to the Wall. After all, those direwolves quickly became famous and the children's fight was elevated on state level. He must have found it out off-stage.

I think that the wolves are able to sense each other. Bran has some similar experiences when he is warging Summer. The wolves know, that's how I understood it. Ghost feels that Lady is dead, and he knows that Nymeria is lost...isn't there an instance also, where...he can't feel Summer, because Summer has gone beyond the wall?

Why does Jaqen H'ghar speak of lives, Arya has stolen from the "Red God" shouldn't it be the "God of Many Faces"?

Jaqen refers to the Red God, and elsewhere to the god of fire. Is he referring to R'hllor? When we see Arya being educated by the Faceless Men, R'hllor doesn't seem to be particularly important to them.

(George thinks for a moment) Well, remember when Jaqen names him: he had very nearly burned to death recently...

from http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona

I think 1) the faceless have to saty 'in character' at all times, so that means temporarily adopting another religion.

2) I suspect, that 'Him of Many Faces' is just another version of R'hllor and the seven...or more likely, that to the Faceless, R'hllor, the Seven etc are all one entity, namely 'Him of Many Faces'...

Why does Jaqen H'ghar speak of lives, Arya has stolen from the "Red God" shouldn't it be the "God of Many Faces"?

Because as I remember, they almost burned...

I think that the wolves are able to sense each other. Bran has some similar experiences when he is warging Summer. The wolves know, that's how I understood it. Ghost feels that Lady is dead, and he knows that Nymeria is lost...isn't there an instance also, where...he can't feel Summer, because Summer has gone beyond the wall?

Yes, but that was much later in ADWD... This early I believe it was human communication.

Jon chapter, p. 47, hardcover. I think it's safe to say that the direwolves are all aware of each other. Ghost feels Shaggydog 'the black brother' and then Nymeria, the 'little sister'.

"The white wolf reaced through black wood, beneath a pale cliff as tall as the sky. The moon ran with him, slipping through a tangle of bare branches overhead, across the starry sky.

"Snow," the moon murmured. The wolf made no answer. Snow crunched beneath his paws. The wind sighed through the trees.

Far off, he could hear his packmates calling to him, like to like. They were hunting too. A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat, washing the blood from his side where the goat's long horn had racked him. In another place, his little sister lifted her head to sing to the moon, and a hundred small grey cousins broke off their hunt to sing with her. The hills were warmer where they were, full of food. Many a night his sister's pack gorged on the flesh of sheep and horses, the prey of men, and sometimes even on the flesh of men themselves."

Archived