Small Questions v 10011

Stubby

I know, it just proves it has nothing to do with where the father is from, but by WHERE you were born, so if Jon is Lyanna's son then he's supposed to be called Jon Sand.

Not that it really matters though

I always thought it was where the mother was from.

So the bastard name is detemined by where you were raised and not by where you were born?

I always thought this was the case. Mya's last name is Stone because she remained in the Vale, if it was based on her father's house it would be Storm. And bastard names are customary not law. Gendry doesn't have a last name at all even though he is one of Robert's bastards. Jon was raised in the north - so Snow not Sand. Brynden and Aegor Rivers certainly got their bastard last names from their mothers' lands, but we don't know if they grew up there or not.

I know, it just proves it has nothing to do with where the father is from, but by WHERE you were born, so if Jon is Lyanna's son then he's supposed to be called Jon Sand.

The parents can choose what the name will be for the bastard child. There's no hard or fast rule. Oberyn's daughters are all called Sand, even though not all of them were born in Dorne, for example.

It seems then you are correct but that example.

The bastard name thing was always confusing to me but i think you guys p much figured it out. basically it seems like its up to the parents. Like if ned had come and said "yeah its my bastard he was born in dorne call him jon sand," people would have called him jon sand. But like in terms of how the parents decide, i think they usually name just based on where the bastards end up living, not where specifically they were born.

Also bastards are usually only given last names if their highborn right. Like that's why gendry doesn't have a last name, he doesn't know he Roberts kid.

So like when some lord or knight or fathers a bastard, they'll either raise the bastard (oberyn/ ned) or don't really give a fuck (robert). So if the father takes them in, they'll take the name of their father's lands because that's where they end up living (Sand snakes, Jon Snow). If the father is a dick and leaves their kids, they live in their mothers lands and take that name. (Robert's bastards who actually know that they're robert's bastards. Bryeden Rivers is another example, i don't think Aegon the Unworthy really gave a fuck bout his bastards.)

So yeah, essentially it's up to the parents, but they almost always seem to pick a name based on where the bastard ends up living. But if they want to pick a name just based on where the bastard is born, even if they don't end up living there, I guess they could. I haven't seen any examples of this though.

Most of us believe that Dunk lied.

That's my bad; I hadn't heard of this nor figured it out on my own, but i read up on it and it makes sense.

Edit: My text in this post is like highlighted wtf is that about

Not sure if this has been asked or how much it matters but who was the man Mya Stone remembered throwing her up in the air but always catching her and that's why she wasn't afraid of falling.

I assumed it to be Robert at first but then looking it over again, thought it might be Ned. I know he visited her but I can't remember how old she was. Aside from some small symbolism if it is Ned (cleaning up after Robert's "messes"), I know it probably doesn't matter but I'm curious. Of course it could be some random man as well!

Not sure if this has been asked or how much it matters but who was the man Mya Stone remembered throwing her up in the air but always catching her and that's why she wasn't afraid of falling.

I assumed it to be Robert at first but then looking it over again, thought it might be Ned. I know he visited her but I can't remember how old she was. Aside from some small symbolism if it is Ned (cleaning up after Robert's "messes"), I know it probably doesn't matter but I'm curious. Of course it could be some random man as well!

Mya shook her head. “I remember a man throwing me in the air when I was very little. He stands as tall as the sky, and he throws me up so high it feels as though I’m flying. We’re both laughing, laughing so much that I can hardly catch a breath, and finally I laugh so hard I wet myself, but that only makes him laugh the louder. I was never afraid when he was throwing me. I knew that he would always be there to catch me.” She pushed her hair back. “Then one day he wasn’t. Men come and go. They lie, or die, or leave you

That sounds a lot more like Robert than Ned.

LOL! Yeah, I can see what you mean. Add some fat on his face, make him smile like that, and he'll look exactly like Viserys I.

I was looking at one of the HBO family trees and the second I saw his face I couldn't stop laughing. Guess it would have been too on the nose to let that one be Aegon The Unworthy. :)

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but...

"Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she’d appeared."

Jon's dream. Very first line strikes me as odd. If he's fighting the Others...why are there flaming arrows hissing upward? Is his dream implying The Others using fire arrows? Or am I missing something?

"Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she'd appeared."

Jon's dream. Very first line strikes me as odd. If he's fighting the Others...why are there flaming arrows hissing upward? Is his dream implying The Others using fire arrows? Or am I missing something?

That part of the dream is when the Wildlings first attack the Wall, the NW had put up scarecrows dressed as Brothers of the Night's Watch.

Read Martin's The Ice Dragon. He wrote it years before he conceived ASOIAF. There are threads here debating whether the stories are related. I don't see how they can be. The only Ice Dragon in ASOIAF is Jon Snow.
One of Old Nan's story is the same Ice Dragon story, and other Men of NW mention it, so the story is known thru out Westeros, as a children's story. It is talked about a few times. There are a couple of debates about if there really is an Ice Dragon in Westeros and What parts of that story are based on something we will see later in the series.
So the bastard name is detemined by where you were raised and not by where you were born?
GRRM has said that there are no hard rules as to a bastards name. It could be any of the reason you have named, Mother/Father/Child was raised, or birthed.

One of Old Nan's story is the same Ice Dragon story and other Men of NW mention it[...]

Old Nan is mentioned to have told the Stark childred several tales about the ice dragon. Do we have any specific indication that the story that GRRM has written and confirmed to be set in a different world is one of them?

"Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she'd appeared."

I agree with what Mindchap said about it being a wildling arrow. But I'd add that that dream seems (to me) to be a mash up of the wildlings attack, and the impending attack by the Others - both the past and the future. If you look at the passage, it seems to contain elements of both. This is why it's quite confusing, given the mention of wildling arrows and dead men/red blade etc.

There's one interesting line... "Others rode on chariots made of bones", which works both in context as a reminder of the wildling attack, and as a possible hint at a future Others attack, given the wording.

Archived