You are the King. Who are your Kingsguard?

mosesxtwist

You now sit on the Iron Throne. Who are your seven kingsguards? (They can be anyone from aGoT-->aDwD, even if they are currently dead.)

Explain each pick.

Ned Stark -Loyal, will always hold his vows, good swordsman.

Ser Barristan -Loyal, great swordsman

Arys Oakheart-Loyal, Brave

Beric Dondarrion -Good swordsman, fights for the realm, and if he dies, Thoros can bring him back.

Thoros of Myr-If I ever die, he can save me.

Bienne of Tarth- Loyal, a beast.

Bran Stark- Having a Warg as a Kingsguard could be pretty nifty. I'd choose Brynden, but I'd like to fulfill Bran's dreams.

Who are your seven?

EDIT: People that were alive at one point from aGoT-->aDwD

Only including characters that were alive at the beginning of the series...

Jaime Lannister (Two Handed) - Probably the greatest living swordsman in Westeros

Garlan Tyrell - Practices against 3 opponents every day, so he must be pretty good

Sandor Clegane - Rare combination of strength, speed and skill (It's said somewhere that he's a lot quicker than he has any right to be)

Oberyn Martell - Smart fighter, plays to his strengths, commonly regarded as being highly dangerous

Gerold "Darkstar" Dayne - The guy is apparently capable of wiping out an entire noble house by himself, and even Oberyn worries about him

Jaqen H'ghar - Just as deadly as the others, but in a completely different way

Khal Drogo - He's never lost a fight

If we're counting historical characters...

Daemon Blackfyre

Gwayne Corbray

Aemon "The Dragonknight" Targaryen

Arthur Dayne

Jaime Lannister

Quentyn Ball

Cregan Stark

with Sandor Clegane, Dunk, and Barristan getting honorable mentions.

Barristan Selmy

Brienne

Brynden Tully

Jaime

Jon

Jorah

Sandor Clegane

I realise there are people in the list such as Jaime/Sandor who have made questionable decisions over the course of the story and probably shouldn't be in the company of people such as Barristan Selmy but I believe you need people who are willing to break the rules sometimes... such as Jaime killing Aerys to save KL when Arthur Dayne probably would have let the city burn. I don't want 7 KG who are afraid to get their hands dirty..if I was getting as bad as Aerys I wouldn't mind someone running me through. I think my list all have honour..some just have it to differing degrees.

Out of the Living (as they currently are):

1. Barriston the Bold
  2. Loras Tyrell
  3. Brienne of Tarth
  4. Aero Hotah (Who said it needs to be White Swords)
  5. Lyn Corbray
  6. Randall Tarly
  7. Robett Glover

Out of Everyone: (A great mix of Highborn and Low, and a wide range of homelands/select great houses)

1. Barriston the Bold
  2. Loras Tyrell
  3. Brienne of Tarth
  4. Ser Duncan the Tall
  5. Arthur Dayne
  6. Brandon Stark
  7. Lyn Corbray

It seems like most people are just choosing who they see as the best warriors, but that isn't always the case as Jaime and Barriston reflects. And I'm not just talking about politics (although it does seem beneficial to have members from the noble houses) but also I would want someone like Barriston or Tarly because they are good leaders because we know that sometimes KG members are chosen to lead in battle. I would also want people from different regions because it would help with relations (if you're having problems in Dorne, send Dayne, etc.)

Out of those alive at the beginning or GoT?

Brienne

Barristan

Garlan Tyrell*

Sandor Clegane**

Khal Drogo**

Qhorin Halfhand

Jaime Lannister***

*I know Garlan's married.

**Assuming they could be consistent in their loyalty.

***I think I would want someone to stop me from burning everyone in the capital alive.

Ser Duncan LC - best KG of all time

Barry - Great warrior, honorable

Qhorin - Master swordsman, knows the wilds beyond the wall, will help keep focus in KL

Ser Jorah - notable swordsman, overall honorable guy (he did some iffy stuff but i think his intentions were always good) and i like his council

Bran(as adult), and Summer by association - Love the idea of a warg for KG, even if he cant move unassisted

Arya (as adult) - warg abilities, but mostly for her undercover work. unlike bran she can move unassisted (but cant warg as well) but has a leg up (heh) on bran because she can change faces, also received formal training as Bravos style Water Dancer.

Daario - Deadly. no honor, but i think 6 other KG around would keep him in check. i also like his council, he is a man of action.

1.) Brienne of Tarth - Because why the heck wouldn't you choose her? She's loyal, she's brave and she kicks ass.

2.) Syrio Forel - Everyone seems to be forgetting him and I don't know why; he'd be a brilliant choice.

3.) Jaime Lannister - Even one-handed. With time, he'd be almost as good as he was before.

4.) Bronn - Pay him enough and he'll do whatever you want him to.

5.) Jaqen H'ghar - A deadly assassin who can kill any person you name? Yes please.

6.) Ygritte - She's a Wilding. Enough said.

7.) Arya (as an adult) - She's going to become just as deadly as Jaqen, I think.

1. Ser Barristan Selmy (LC)

2. Ser Jaime Lannister

3. Ser Balon Swann

4. Ser Loras Tyrell

5. Ser Bronn of Blackwater

6. Brienne of Tarth

7. Sandor Clegane, The Hound

I think this Kingsguard is as good or even better than Aerys's

Archived