You are the King. Who are your Kingsguard?

mosesxtwist

Barristan Selmy LC - It's a given, the KG is his life.

Brienne of Tarth - Definitely a top contender for the KG. Noble, Just, and a pretty dam good fighter if I recall.

Tormund Giantsbane - I know it wouldn't suit his lifestyle, but he would be a good choice.

Jaime Lannister - (both hands of course) Also suits him very well, minus all the Cersei crap.

Obara Sand - See Tyene Sand.

Nymeria Sand - See Obara Sand.

Tyene Sand - Pretty self explanatory really. 3 Sand Snakes are better than 1

Gregor Clegane - because nobody can defeat him and kept in KL he will do no raping or plundering

Oberyn Martell - because he is straight out awesome

LC Brynden Tully - because he is straight out awesome

Jon Stark - I am the king, I legitimize who I want and when I want and I want Ned's son in my KG

Jorah Mormont - because he is a true knight

Jamie Lannister - I do not plan to burn down my capital

Victarion Greyjoy - I am an awesome king so ironborn are now loyal. maybe I AM ironborn myself?

Loras Tyrell - because Vic is Master of ships now

---

Master of Coin - Tyrion Lannister

Master of Ships - as seen above Victarion Greyjoy

Master of Laws - Randyl Tarly (YES!)

Master of Whispers - Bran Stark lol

---

Hand of the King - Tywin Lannister Stannis Baratheon, because Tywin would only interfere with Tyrion's job as my MoC

---

LC of the City Watch - Bronn

I agree with many of the usual suspects on this list except for Lyn Corbray due to the fact that he is a pedophile. The only people I would add to this list of great warriors are

Holland Reed - Any dude who can survive the fight at the Tower of Joy and have kids like Meera and Jogen, he'll yes

Grey Worm - the appointed leader of the Unsullied, need I say more

Symeon Star-Eyes - Bran had me pretty hyped about this dude in AGOT

Lord Commander Barristan Selmy, the Bold

Brynden Tully, the Blackfish

Mance Rayder, the King of the Wildlings

Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper

(Two-Handed) Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer

Loras Tyrell, the Knight of Flowers

Sandor Clegane, the Hound

My Teams

The Kingsguard

Lord Commander - Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy

SmallJon Umber

Ser Jaime Lannister (abilities of two hands, thinking of one)

Ser Garlan Tyrell (he's married, but I feel like it was a very recent event in the story, but I could be wrong)

Ser Archibald Yronwood

Ser Balon Swann

Ser Robar Royce

King's Guard and Council

Syrio Forrel and Areo Hotah

At least one if not both are to be with the King at all times as his personal guard and council, along with the LC's (when they are not needed else where)

The Dream Team

Lord Commander- Prince Aemon Targaryen "The Dragonknight"

Ser Gerald Hightower "the White Bull"

Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy

Ser Arthur Dayne "the Sword of the Morning"

Ser Duncan the Tall

Ser Daemon Blackfyre

Ser Gwayne Corbray

All great Knights/swordsmen and leaders. Men looked up to them.

Ser Richard Horpe and a couple hundred knights. Fuck the rule of seven, I want to have guys who are not going crazy with sleep deprevasion, one or two guarding me at a time, and the constant need for a moment's notice replacements whenever they all want to gather for a briefing with the LC.

Lol at those who have The Red Viper and The Mountain in the same kingsguard.

Also, did someone say Jaime with one hand? That seems like a handicap I wouldn't willingly inflict on a person guarding my life. Why not take out one of Ser Barristan's eyes while you're at it.

Although, I don't want the Bold Barristan at all. 2 dead kings and nearly a dead Queen as his track record. He is pretty honorable and all, but those deaths and near deaths look bad on a resume during his interview.

My list:

Prince Oberyn (offer up the mountain's head and I'm sure he'll be loyal as a snake to a snake charmer)

Syrio Forel (with a real sword instead of a wooden one)

Two handed Jaime (I'm a little worried about track record, but I would keep Lady Macbeth/Cersei away from him)

Arthur Dayne (don't know much about him but Ned seems to approve)

Sandor Clegane (see Prince Oberyn, but change snake with dog and snake charmer with whatever dogs like)

Jon Snow (have to protect yourself from wights and others)

Robert Baratheon (young warhammer version)

Lord Commander: Ser Barristan Selmy

Garlan Tyrell

Oberyn Martell

Jaime Lannister

Sandor Clegane

Ser Gerold Dayne

Blackfish Tully

Of all time-

Lord commander: Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Arthur Dayne

Prince Aemon the Dragonknight

Jaime Lannister

Rhaegar Targaryen

Sandor Clegane

Ser Dunk the Tall

Honestly when looking for living 'non-married' knights i wouldn't find enough candidates. There are a lot of skilled swordsmen, but most of them are simply not reliable enough. I mean guys like Jaime are great fighters, sure, but they're not loyal to death.

So i'd abolish the whole '7 Kingsguard' idea. I'd introduce an all foreigner houseguard (Bearded Priests of Norvos) and for the whole 'knights should emulate to be like'-effect i simply named Champions or Paragon or something like that.

As current Champions/Paragons i would have:

- Brienne of Tarth, while not every

- Barristan Selmy

- 'Blackfish'

- Davos Seasworth

- Areo Hotah

and maybe a few others i can't think of at the moment.

Right now:

1. Barristan the Bold (LC)

2. Jaime Lannister (2 handed)

3. Lyn Corbray

4. Brienne of Tarth

5. Smalljon

6. Balon Swann

7. Garlan Tyrell

Historically:

1. Gerold Hightower (LC)

2. Arthur Dayne

3. Daemon Blackfyre

4. Bloodraven

5. Cregan Stark

6. Oswell Whent

7. Fireball

Going with only living as of end of aDwD:

1. Lord Commander Barriston Selmy: Loyal, Smart, Seasoned, Skilled. "Living legend. Nuff said.

2. Areo Hotah: Proven primary bodyguard to Doran, loyalty unquestioned, skilled warrior.

3. Balon Swann: Only one I'd pluck off Tommen's current kingsguard. Seems competent and loyal.

4. Garlan Tyrell: I don't want multiple members of a family on my KG, and would rather have Garlan than Loras.

5. Brienne of Tarth: Loyal, keeps her oaths, great warrior.

6. Blackfish Tully: For having a great nickname, on top of everything else.

7. Jon Snow: This, of course, if he never finds out that he's actually heir to MY throne :eek: could make things awkward otherwise. But having a Valaryan Sword plus Ghost? Great addition.

Loyalty and honor were my biggest concerns in choosing. Would never trust Jaime on my KG (Killed one King he was protecting and slept with the other's wife), or Grego... err Robert Strong... or even Bronn, despite him being one of my favorite characters in the books/show. the seven up there I feel are people you could count on.

LC Barristan Selmy: He was a member of the great KG in Aerys day. A proven swordsman and loyal.

Jaime Lannister (with two hands): Often referred to as a great fighter. Barristan considers him the best natural swordsman he's seen.

Areo Hotah: He's a great fighter and is fiercely loyal. A great asset.

Brienne of Tarth: Loyal, good with a sword, takes oaths seriously. Everything a KG should be.

Garlan Tyrell: Loras is good, but I've been convinced that Garlan is very likely the better knight.

Balon Swann: He seems like a good fighter, and unlike Trant and the Kettleblacks seems like a half-decent guy.

Jaqen H'ghar: Not a knight in any sense of the word. But I wouldn't mind having a master assassin in my employ, should the need arrive.

Limiting myself to characters that are still alive

Lord commander: Ser Byrned Tully

Thoros of Myr: since he can revive me if I happen to die

Strong Belwas: for tasting my food

Barristan Selmy

Garlan The gallant

Brienne

Yohn Royce

My alternative list because I enjoy living on the edge

Roose Bolton

Gregor Clegane

Craster

Euron Greyjoy

Petyr Baelish

Ramsay Bolton

Janos Slynt

I would have reformed it and made it actually useful as a King's special force without playing that empty "super heroes and fake honor" card.

That means more members, multiple sections and some actual skill divergence. What is raw force for when you have no numbers or intel?

Archived