You are the King. Who are your Kingsguard?

mosesxtwist

Not in order

Aero Hotah - Lord Commander. "Serve. Obey. Protect."

Bronn - An experienced sellsword? Who's not afraid to dig in and do the dirty work? Yes please.

Victarion Greyjoy - A fearsome warrior who fights with respect (of sorts). Would be good to have an ironborn in the mix as well.

Jorah Mormont - Gives great advises and is a northman.

Yohn "Bronze Yohn" Royce - Read his appearance at the wiki.

Thoros of Myr - Like Ser Jorah, he was fearless in the Greyjoy rebellion. He'd be a great friend.

Alliser Thorne - As a counterweight to Bronn.

Selmy - no explanation needed

Jaime(two handed) -

Halfhand - I am presuming this is a fantasy line up and seeing as people (including me) are having Jaime with two hands I'm having the Half hand

Eddard Stark - Not because he is especially skilled at fighting more due to the fact that he would definitely lay down his life for you unlike some others

The Hound - Due to him being a complete legend

Bronn - Due more to the fact that he has good patter rather than streams of loyalty

Hodor - So that someone could carry me to bed when I get too drunk at feasts

I would like to keep atleast two Valyrian Steel Sword wielders in my Kingsguard, at all times.

1. Ser Barristan Selmy (LC) (No worry of love)

2. Ser Harras Harlaw (Wildcard)

3. Prince Oberyn Martell (Will have to keep a keen eye on his promiscuity and attitude)

4. Ser Brynden "Blackfish" Tully (Reliable)

5. Ser Loras Tyrell (No worry of love)

6. Ser Lyn Corbray (No worry of love)

7. Jon Stark (Absolved of NW oath and de-bastardized) (No worry of love)

I would send Jaime Lannister to the Wall. (I would have the Starks keep an eye on him, and basically have him as an unofficial prisoner, in the event Tywin gets aggressive).

With Jon, Loras, Brynden, and Oberyn, 5 of the eight regions would be bound to my rule. Assuming I'm a Stormlands king, that would be the base (1st).

The Vale would likely join up, if needed (good relations).

I would have married Cersei, but kept keen eyes on her 24/7.

Cersei and a TRUEBORN Lannister son would bound the Westerlands to me.

Barristan Selmy

Brienne

Brynden Tully

Jaime

Jon

Jorah

Sandor Clegane

I realise there are people in the list such as Jaime/Sandor who have made questionable decisions over the course of the story and probably shouldn't be in the company of people such as Barristan Selmy but I believe you need people who are willing to break the rules sometimes... such as Jaime killing Aerys to save KL when Arthur Dayne probably would have let the city burn. I don't want 7 KG who are afraid to get their hands dirty..if I was getting as bad as Aerys I wouldn't mind someone running me through. I think my list all have honour..some just have it to differing degrees.

This, but replace Sandor with Ser Loras

My criteria for the for the Kings guard is Loyalty and the ability to hold to there vows, at least above average as warrior. And be alive at the end of ADwD.

1 Ser Barristan Selmy: My Lord Commander who is a master swordsman and one of the truest knights ever.

2 Ser Brynden Tully: The Blackfish is Loyal man and seems to think on his feet, I'm sure he's a above average warrior.

3 Brienne of Tarth: Very loyal and will keep to her oaths, also a skilled sword.

4 Bronze Yohn Royce: Old but also old school hard man, seems like the type to hold his oaths, also would let him wear his armour which is bad ass

5 Ser Robert Strong: Never sleeps, never needs to eat always on duty, will keep his vows and never shirk in his duties, quiet and as a bonus is an 8ft killing machine.

6 Syrio Forel: The Former first sword of Bravos is an experienced protector of Royalty and a ace warrior who seems like a intelligent bloke. A good choice if he will take the vows ( he's alive I tells ya!)

7 Anguy the Archer: A bit of a wild card, he is young but is a crack archer and a experienced fighterand I've always had a soft spot for him in the books and the show made him even more bad ass, He seems loyal to a cause but may struggle to hold his vows.

Weird but that's my A Team :)

Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for Varamyr? Over Bran or Bynden Rivers. I'd be worried having that guy at my side.

Well, being a warg gives him certain advantages in detecting things of course.

However, Bran is immobile, and the Three Eyed Crow not much better off in this respect (how old is he - 200? And not really human anymore.) . Varamyr is a warrior and a warg.

I'd want Bran in the mix somewhere, but not as a Kingsguard. (As oracle / royal greenseer, maybe.)

I'm going with only living, or not 100% dead, applicants:

My Lord Commander -Barristan Selmy - he is still one of the all time greats and probably the most honorable man alive. I don't care if he's in his 60's, this is the guy I want running my Kingsguard.

Jon Snow - he's shown himself to be a decent fighter and honorable man. Plus he wields Valyrian steel with Longclaw.

Garlan Tyrell - he also seems to be a good guy from all we know, and he's clearly skilled with a blade.

Lyn Corbray - another weirder of Valyrian steel with Lady Forlorn, and he did kill a knight of Aerys' Kingsguard, Lewyn Martell, in Robert's Rebellion. Might be a Bit of an asshole but the others will keep him in line.

Brynden Tully - this one is more about his character and the fact that I could trust him over his skill. Although I do think he is still a very competent warrior and would be a great field general in case I had to go to war.

Loras Tyrell - disregarding his cockiness, the guy is a prodigy and would season into a great knight under the older members of the group. Can't set his skill aside.

Brienne of Tarth - I don't car about the Kingsguard being historically all male, she is honorable and highly skilled. She would die doing her duty of keeping me alive and that is really what you're looking for in this group. She is also wielding Valyrian steel with Oathkeeper.

So that's my Kingsguard. 3/7 have Valyrian steel blades, all are considered either great warriors or commanders, or have serious potential. Have to mix a little youth in with experience to make sure they don't all croak at the same time of old age.

Thoughts?

@ Jon Blackfyre: A really good KG, Jon Snow would be a great loyal KG but I don't know if he would drop one set of oaths for another even if you absolved him of his first lot.

Lyn Cobray is a interesting choice, even if you could forget the whole pedophile angle ( I can't) He doesn't seem very loyal since Littlefinger bought his Honour (with boys and gold I believe)

The Tyrells seem only loyal to themselves I would not trust them with my life, although Garland might take his oaths to heart.

Archived