The books coming out in 2014

AncalagonTheBlack

The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath by Ishbelle Bee (Angry Robot) :
pub date: November 2014

The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath (The Peculiar Adventures of John Loveheart, ESQ)
In the summer of 1887 my grandfather stole a clock.
It was six feet high
and the shape of a coffin.
1888. A little girl called Mirror and her shape-shifting guardian Goliath Honeyflower are washed up on the shores of Victorian England. Something has been wrong with Mirror since the day her grandfather locked her inside a mysterious clock that was painted all over with ladybirds. Mirror does not know what she is, but she knows she is no longer human.
John Loveheart, meanwhile, was not born wicked. But after the sinister death of his parents, he was taken by Mr Fingers, the demon lord of the underworld. Some say he is mad. John would be inclined to agree.
Now Mr Fingers is determined to find the little girl called Mirror, whose flesh he intends to eat, and whose soul is the key to his eternal reign. And John Loveheart has been called by his otherworldly father to help him track Mirror down…

From DAW :

Closer to Home: Book One of Herald Spy by Mercedes Lackey – October 7, 2014

A Play of Shadow (Night's Edge #2) Julie E. Czerneda - November 4, 2014

The Future Falls (Enchantment Emporium #3) by by Tanya Huff – November 4, 2014

King of Assassins (The Elven Ways #3) by Jenna Rhodes – November 4, 2014

From Ace :

Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars #3) by Jack Campbell - October 7, 2014

Andromeda's War (Legion of the Damned) by William C. Dietz – December 2, 2014

The King's Deryni (Childe Morgan trilogy #3/Deryni #16) by Katherine Kurtz – December 2, 2014

Coming Home (Alex Benedict #7) by Jack McDevitt – November 4, 2014

The Turning Season (Shifting Circle #3) by Sharon Shinn – November 4, 2014

From Roc :

The Golden Princess (Change Series) by S. M. Stirling – September 2, 2014

Maplecroft (The Borden Dispatches #1) by Cherie Priest – September 2, 2014

Poison Fruit (Agent of Hel #3) by Jacqueline Carey – October 7, 2014

Proxima by Stephen Baxter – November 4, 2014

Dreamer's Pool (Blackthorn & Grim #1) by Juliet Marillier – November 4, 2014

Disciple of the Wind (Fated Blades #3) by Steve Bein – December 2, 2014

From Orbit U.S.

The City Stained Red (Bring Down Heaven #1) Sam Sykes - October 7, 2014

Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2) by Ann Leckie - October 7, 2014

Book Description of War Dogs: Ares Rising by Greg Bear

AN EPIC INTERSTELLAR TALE OF WAR FROM A MASTER OF SCIENCE FICTION.

The Gurus came in peace, bearing gifts.

They were a highly advanced, interstellar species who brought amazingly useful and sophisticated technology to the human race. There was, of course, a catch. The Gurus warned of a far more malevolent life form, beings who have hounded the Gurus from sun to sun, planet to planet, across the cosmos. Pundits have taken to calling them the Antagonists-or Antags-and they have already established a beachhead on Mars. For all they've done for us, the Gurus would now like our help.

Enter Master Sergeant Michael Venn, a veteran Skyrine (a Marine who is specially trained for off-world combat) who is dropped onto the Red Planet with his band of brothers on a mission to take down as many Antags as possible.

But from the moment they're dropped through the thin Martian atmosphere, their mission goes horribly, terribly wrong. From a group of female special ops Skyrines with secret orders, to mysterious humans who've settled on Mars, to the overwhelming and highly-reinforced Antags themselves, Venn and his brothers will face impossible odds just to survive-let alone make it home alive.

From Pyr Books :

Jala's Mask by Mike Grinti & Rachel Grinti – November 4, 2014

The Lady (Marakand #2) by K. V. Johansen – December 9, 2014

From ChiZine Publications :

The Night Inside by Nancy Baker - March 18, 2014 (reprint)

Blood and Chrysanthemums by Nancy Baker - March 18, 2014 (reprint)

A Terrible Beauty by Nancy Baker March 18, 2014 (reprint)

Haxan by Kenneth Mark Hoover - May 20, 2014

Irregular Verbs and Other Stories by Matthew Johnson - May 20, 2014

Shadows & Tall Trees: Volume 6 edited by Michael Kelly - June 3, 2014

Head Full of Mountains by Brent Hayward - June 17, 2014

Dawn Song by Michael Marano - June 17, 2014 (reprint)

Imaginarium 2014: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing edited by Sandra Kasturi & Helen Marshall - July 15, 2014

The Family Unit and Other Fantasies by Laurence Klavan - August 15, 2014

We Will All Go Down Together by Gemma Files - August 15, 2014

Plot synopsis for The Black Wolves, Kate Elliott's next novel. An earlier draft of this synopsis confirmed that it is set in the Hundred, making it the fourth novel in the Crossroads series, set a generation after the events of the opening trilogy.

SOME CHOICES CAN NEVER BE UNDONE.

He lost his honor long ago.

Captain Kellas was lauded as the king's most faithful servant until the day he failed in his duty. Dismissed from service, his elite regiment disbanded, he left the royal palace and took up another life.

Now a battle brews within the palace that threatens to reveal deadly secrets and spill over into open war. The king needs a loyal soldier to protect him.

Can a disgraced man ever be trusted?

The book is due on 4 November.

If Kurtz's The King's Deryni indeed comes out in December, it will have been eight years since the release of the previous novel, I think. A very big deal. Wonderful news for the author and her fans. [And I should try some of her stuff now that that trilogy is gonna be finished.]

Amazon says that Daw's North American edition of Ben Aaronovitch's fifth Rivers of London novel, Foxglove Summer, will be released on October 7th.

Nick Harkaway has a new novel coming out in July, entitled Tigerman. There is a blurb on Amazon, which I will type up later if I have time -- I'm really sorry, but I can't use the forum's toolbar to paste stuff or to quote. It seems to be about a military dude who takes an assignment on a sketchy backwater island and develops a connection with a local kid. Sounds a little crazed, but possibly not as out-and-out batshit as Harkaway's previous.

From Solaris Books :

Riding the Unicorn by Paul Kearney - 6 Nov 2014

Book Description

John Willoughby is being pulled between worlds. Or he is going mad, 'riding the unicorn' as his prison officer colleagues would say. It's clear to Willoughby it must be the latter. Disappearing in the middle of his prison shift from among convicts, appearing in a makeshift medieval encampment for minutes before tumbling back to the real world, Willoughby believes his mind is simply breaking apart. He finds no solace at home, with a wife who has grown to dislike him and a daughter who can barely hide her disgust. He's realised he isn't worth anyone's time, barely even his own, and falls into drinking and violence guaranteed to bring about his downfall. Except in this other world, in this winter land of first-settlers he is a man with a purpose, a man upon whom others must rely. Persuaded to kill a King so as to save a people, Willoughby finds that in another world, with a second chance he may be the kind of man he had always wanted to be after all.

Dangerous Games edited by Jonathan Oliver - 4 Dec 2014

The James Lovegrove Collection: Vol. 1 - 4 Dec 2014

Fearsome Magics: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy Vol.2 edited by Jonathan Strahan - 9 Oct 2014

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume 8 edited by by Jonathan Strahan - May 13, 2014

TOC -

Introduction, Jonathan Strahan

“Some Desperado”, Joe Abercrombie (Dangerous Women)

“Zero for Conduct”, Greg Egan (Twelve Tomorrows)

“Effigy Nights”, Yoon Ha Lee (Clarkesworld)

“Rosary and Goldenstar”, Geoff Ryman (F&SF)

“The Sleeper and the Spindle”, Neil Gaiman (Rags and Bones)

“Cave and Julia”, M. John Harrison (Kindle Singles)

“The Herons of Mer de l’Ouest”, M Bennardo (Lightspeed)

“Water”, Ramez Naam (An Aura of Familiarity)

“The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling”, Ted Chiang (Subterranean)

“The Ink Readers of Doi Saket”, Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Tor.com)

“Cherry Blossoms on the River of Souls”, Richard Parks (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)

“Rag and Bone”, Priya Sharma (Tor.com)

“The Book Seller”, Lavie Tidhar (Interzone)

“The Sun and I”, K J Parker (Subterranean)

“The Promise of Space”, James Patrick Kelly (Clarkesworld)

“The Master Conjurer”, Charlie Jane Anders (Lightspeed)

“The Pilgrim and the Angel”, E. Lily Yu (McSweeney’s 45)

“Entangled”, Ian R Macleod (Asimov’s)

“Fade to Gold”, Benjanun Sriduangkaew (End of the Road)

“Selkies Stories are for Losers”, Sofia Samatar (Strange Horizons)

“In Metal, In Bone”, An Owomoyela (Eclipse Online)

“Kormack the Lucky”, Eleanor Arnason (F&SF)

“Sing”, Karin Tidbeck (Tor.com)

“Social Services”, Madeline Ashby (An Aura of Familiarity)

“The Road of Needles”, Caitlín R Kiernan (Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales)

“Mystic Falls”, Robert Reed (Clarkesworld)

“The Queen of Night’s Aria”, Ian McDonald (Old Mars)

“The Irish Astronaut”, Val Nolan (Electric Velocipede)

A Better World (The Brilliance Saga #2) by Marcus Sakey - Publisher: Thomas & Mercer (June 24, 2014)

The Peripheral by William Gibson

Publisher: Putnam Adult

October 28, 2014

William Gibson returns with his first novel since 2010’s New York Times–bestselling Zero History.

Where Flynne and her brother, Burton, live, jobs outside the drug business are rare. Fortunately, Burton has his veteran’s benefits, for neural damage he suffered from implants during his time in the USMC’s elite Haptic Recon force. Then one night Burton has to go out, but there’s a job he’s supposed to do—a job Flynne didn’t know he had. Beta-testing part of a new game, he tells her. The job seems to be simple: work a perimeter around the image of a tower building. Little buglike things turn up. He’s supposed to get in their way, edge them back. That’s all there is to it. He’s offering Flynne a good price to take over for him. What she sees, though, isn’t what Burton told her to expect. It might be a game, but it might also be murder.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

Robert Galbraith’s (a.k.a. J.K. Rowling’s) follow up to The Cuckoo’s Calling is titled The Silkworm and will debut this June:

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith - The book hits store shelves June 19 in the U.K. and June 24 in the U.S

The Silkworm’s full synopsis is below. This time, Cormoran will be focusing on a case involving a novelist who was working on a book that exposed numerous people in a negative fashion:

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days—as he has done before—and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine’s disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives—meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before…

A compulsively readable crime novel with twists at every turn, The Silkworm is the second in the highly acclaimed series featuring Cormoran Strike and his determined young assistant, Robin Ellacott.

So can someone please give me the rundown of the most highly anticipated debut novels or books starting new series that will be released in 2014?

I've read both Red Rising by Pierce Brown and The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. Anything else that fits this description that I should keep my eyes out for? Thanks!

Obviously most of the 2014 debuts haven't came out yet so it's hard to tell which will be good, but here's a list of debut authors that should be publishing books in 2014.

Epic Fantasy

The Barrow by Mark Smylie

Blades of the Old Empire by Anna Kashina (Majat Code)

The Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson
Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

The Boy with the Porcelain Blade by Den Patrick (Erebus Sequence)

The Relic Guild by Ed Cox

The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs

The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley

Three Princes by Ramona Wheeler

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell (Greatcoats Quartet #1)

Moth and Spark by Anne Leonard

SF

The Waking Engine by David Edison

A Darkling Sea by James Cambias

Barricade by Jon Wallace

The Happier Dead by Ivo Stourton

Firstly: New William Gibson yay! Was wondering just the other day whether that might be happening soon. Thanks all for the updates.

Secondly: A couple weeks ago I posted about a potential delay to N. K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season. Per the author's blog that is indeed happening, with the book dropping back some distance to late 2015. Refreshingly, though, it sounds like this is being done to keep the series on a tight schedule once it does begin, rather than because of problems with The Fifth Season, which is complete.

About the debut list: Some interesting stuff on there. Mark Smylie's The Barrow has already gotten some positive notice around here: Ran posted a positive review in the news section up the top of the page, and I believe SkynJay said he was pretty impressed in the February reading thread. I'm stoked, but it's published by Pyr, and about seven years ago I used to eat out of their literary hand but more recently I read a couple things from them on faith that failed to connect with me spectacularly [Enge, Sturges, Hodder.] I've been looking around for an excerpt from the Smylie, but there doesn't seem to be anything so far.

Katherine Addison's The Goblin Emperor is getting raves and kudos. Addison is a pseudonym of Sarah Monette, whose Doctrine of Labyrinths epic fantasies I remember very positively from a few years ago -- as I understand it the publisher screwed them over by not noting on the jackets that they were part of a series, and they're mostly out of print now. There are Goblin Emperor sample chapters at the author's site, katherineaddison.com. They're much ... kinder than anything in The Doctrine of Labyrinths, and they're just the first fifteen-ish pages so don't really get into the meat of the thing, but I enjoyed them and am stoked. It's also very cool to read a fantasy novel by someone whose fluent in Middle English.

Obviously most of the 2014 debuts haven't came out yet so it's hard to tell which will be good, but here's a list of debut authors that should be publishing books in 2014.

The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs

Jacobs has already published a few books. His debut was Southern Gods. One of the creepiest books I've ever read.

Firstly: New William Gibson yay! Was wondering just the other day whether that might be happening soon. Thanks all for the updates.

Secondly: A couple weeks ago I posted about a potential delay to N. K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season. Per the author's blog that is indeed happening, with the book dropping back some distance to late 2015. Refreshingly, though, it sounds like this is being done to keep the series on a tight schedule once it does begin, rather than because of problems with The Fifth Season, which is complete.

About the debut list: Some interesting stuff on there. Mark Smylie's The Barrow has already gotten some positive notice around here: Ran posted a positive review in the news section up the top of the page, and I believe SkynJay said he was pretty impressed in the February reading thread. I'm stoked, but it's published by Pyr, and about seven years ago I used to eat out of their literary hand but more recently I read a couple things from them on faith that failed to connect with me spectacularly [Enge, Sturges, Hodder.] I've been looking around for an excerpt from the Smylie, but there doesn't seem to be anything so far.

Katherine Addison's The Goblin Emperor is getting raves and kudos. Addison is a pseudonym of Sarah Monette, whose Doctrine of Labyrinths epic fantasies I remember very positively from a few years ago -- as I understand it the publisher screwed them over by not noting on the jackets that they were part of a series, and they're mostly out of print now. There are Goblin Emperor sample chapters at the author's site, katherineaddison.com. They're much ... kinder than anything in The Doctrine of Labyrinths, and they're just the first fifteen-ish pages so don't really get into the meat of the thing, but I enjoyed them and am stoked. It's also very cool to read a fantasy novel by someone whose fluent in Middle English.

I hadn't heard that Addison was Monette. That's interesting.

Jacobs has already published a few books. His debut was Southern Gods. One of the creepiest books I've ever read.

I was aware of that but I it's his first fantasy work (though it still sounds like it has horror overtones), that being said I realize I'm being completely arbitrary since I didn't bother to list folks like Stephen Hunt and Simon Morden who are tackling epic fantasy for the first time.

Archived