What was Ned's worst/most costly mistake?

Tharvot

His big mistake was not taking Renly's advise and his 100 men to take Joffrey, Tommen & Marcella away from Cersei before Robert passed.

Idk. This doesn't nullify Tywin or Stannis. Plus it's evil, in his heart, and more importantly in the eyes of the realm.
Tyrell, Martell, all these houses love protecting children, not to mention Greyjoy.

Ned's biggest mistake was simply bribing Janos and not telling him the truth if the matter; or better yet get a loyal commander. Tyrion did by asking Varys, it's a shame Ned has such disdain to him

Idk. This doesn't nullify Tywin or Stannis. Plus it's evil, in his heart, and more importantly in the eyes of the realm.
Tyrell, Martell, all these houses love protecting children, not to mention Greyjoy.
Ned's biggest mistake was simply bribing Janos and not telling him the truth if the matter; or better yet get a loyal commander. Tyrion did by asking Varys, it's a shame Ned has such disdain to him

I don't think Ned should have or would have placed Joff on the throne, or mistreated the children in any way. He simply needed to remove Cersie's power and secure his own strength until Stannis got off his butt to come to KL and claim the throne.

Varys had his own agenda anyways. Tyrion just happened to be in a position that complimented Varys plans. Otherwise he would have been gone the way Pycelle went.

In retrospect, I would have kept my mouth shut. Once Robert died, I would have gracefully resigned as hand and taken the family back to WF. Once there though, I would have supported Stannis' rebellion.

However, that is a very Un-Ned thing to do...

I think that if he had tried to "gracefully resign" and leave after Robert's death, Cersei would have kept Sansa as a hostage in KL, since the betrothal is still pending.  Then she would have control over Ned's actions, even if he left - any rebellious actions would mean Sansa's life.

I don't think Ned should have or would have placed Joff on the throne, or mistreated the children in any way. He simply needed to remove Cersie's power and secure his own strength until Stannis got off his butt to come to KL and claim the throne.
Varys had his own agenda anyways. Tyrion just happened to be in a position that complimented Varys plans. Otherwise he would have been gone the way Pycelle went.

I doubt Ned would chain Myrcella to the wall or harm the boys (though all three will live in fear of Ice, like Theon) but Stannis will whack all three abominations asap. This would make Ned an accessory to Stannis' killings.
Either way, before Stannis arrives, Renly would have made Ned public enemy #1.
I'm not saying trusting Varys is a good idea buy it's got to be better then trusting Petyr/Janos

He should have offered Littlefinger something. Trusting Littlefinger would do something for honor was pretty stupid. Although I don't think Littlefinger would have accepted any bribe other than a fun week with Catelynn.

There was nothing he could have offered. Petyr would never have accepted Stannis as king and said as much.  Ned was too honorbound to see any other opinions.

After warning the evil, manipulative queen that he knows her secrets, giving her a prolonged period of time to prepare, also spending all his time brooding about his long dead sister and vague promises made over a decade ago rather than actually doing anything much about it. All the while letting the man who specifically warned him not to trust him do the most important things related to the plan, completely unsupervised and on his own.

And expecting that plan to work out fantastically.

Archived