Are Dragons really necessary in the fight against the Others?

Consigliere

Yeah pretty much this. Although, I too think Dany and The Others' paths will not cross.

I don't think their paths will cross either. If they do though I hope the Wall doesn't just send them back to Slavers Bay because AA didn't use them. That would be such an anti climax.

I don't believe so, no. If — IF — the dragons are used productively in that fight, it'll probably be against wights. The Others were defeated the first time without the aid of dragons, unless that's something that was left out of that whole Battle for the Dawn story. Fire doesn't seem to affect Others the way it does wights. Not to mention that the idea of any faction swooping in on dragonback to heroically save the day just seems too trite and convenient. I also don't really subscribe to the idea of dragons as a "good" thing. On the contrary, everything suggests that they're nothing but tools of oppression that are used to reinforce subjugation. I don't think it's going to be "Others bad, dragons good."

And something else to consider, which is conspicuously absent in a lot of "dragons are going to defeat the Others" arguments: If dragons can hurt Others, the reverse is probably true, too.

Not strictly necessary, but they will make it considerably easier. Without the dragons, the Others might make it to Dorne. With them, they can be stopped virtually wherever the dragons hit them first. What will matter more is organization: right now, Westeros is riven by civil war. The defense is not going to be what it could be; even if the Lannisters appreciated the danger, they would rather wait and let the Others finish Stannis and the Northmen before throwing their armies into the fray. More lands for southern lords once the armies of winter are rolled back.

Is it too bold to think 3 fire spewing lying behemoths would be slightly helpful against enemies made of ice? I mean if Pokemon has taught me anything.

But no, I think there best use is the production of dragon glass. They should assembly line that shit, put Viseryion, Rhaegal, and Drogon TO WORK Henry Ford style.

A dragon is a flying fire breathing tank. Maybe not necessary but if you've got them bloody well use them!

Do tanks function in extreme cold? If not they might be like dragons.

When 100's of Others are approaching Varamyr's camp, the ice mist they collectively brought was so cold, Varamyr's hand stuck to the floor and he had to flee his body soon after. It will be interesting to see what effect these temperatures have on 'fire made flesh'.

Is it too bold to think 3 fire spewing lying behemoths would be slightly helpful against enemies made of ice?

I'd say it is too bold. Because it presumes these behemoths are down with the agenda. Perhaps they would rather eat people than popsicles, and lay waste the countryside.

I'd say it is too bold. Because it presumes these behemoths are down with the agenda. Perhaps they would rather eat people than popsicles, and lay waste the countryside.

Hey! Daenerys is an incredible dragon trainer. She'd keep her boys in line.

edit: THISSSSSS ISSSS SARCASSSSSMMMMM

And, if they were not needed for the first time, and humanity prevailed over Others, why do we immediately assume we need dragons now?

Because the last time the Others invaded in force, it took the combined might of all the First Men and the Children of the Forest with all their Old Gods, greenseers, wargs and nature magic to defeat them and secure a future for humans (and codf) on the continent.

This time...the few Children left are in deep hiding beyond the Wall. Only two greenseers are trained and battle-ready. Most of the wierwood trees are gone. Humans have forgotten almost all their magic. They can't even build castles the way they used to. And it took a really lucky stroke to remind them even of the BASICS of Other-fighting, like obsidian and burning weights...

Basically, the weapons used last time are either greatly diminished or completely lost. Heck, humans can't even keep their own forces together without screwing it up. If this is really all we have, humanity is screwed.

But it's very possible that the Others have never seen dragons before. They might not even know they exist. This makes them the one thing humanity might have that the Others aren't anticipating.

(Remember, they've seen green magic before. I think they probably have their own answer to people like Bran and BR by now. They've had 8,000 years to work on it, after all.)

And yes, I know that line about Syrax being downed by a rainstorm has everyone convinced that dragons can't handle cold weather, but that's not proven. What, exactly, downed the dragon? Was it the wind? If it was the wind there might be a problem, but if it was the rain or the thunder, so far the Others haven't proven they have control over those things. Nothing that flies likes lightning. Still, dragons can fight and breathe fire while on the ground.

And remember, Melisandre is a "being of fire" and her power was increased by proximity to the Wall. The cold couldn't touch her, and ice melted as she passed. Other followers of R'hillor are equating R'hillor's fire with dragonfire. If that's so, it's possible that going north would make the dragons stronger.

I know GRRM is smarter then me, and I very much doubt that three half-grown dragons are anything resembling an "automatic win" card against a force as big, smart, and dangerous as the Others, BUT if you ask me what I think, then I say the dragons are the one thing that gives me hope the humans won't get completely steamrolled when Night falls.

Hey! Daenerys is an incredible dragon trainer. She'd keep her boys in line.

Not at all. If there is anything we have learned in Book 5, is that Dany cannot control her dragons. She can only accept her dragonish destiny and let the dragons control Dany. And "dragons plant no trees".

Dany is coming to Westeros with Fire and Blood -- to lay waste the countryside. The dragons have no intention of cooperating with any other agenda.

And then, when the country has been laid waste by fire, Winter Comes, and the Others.

Apple Martini - I could not agree more. We know that fire is effective against wights but Others may be more resistant. As far as we know only obsidian and dragonsteel can kill an Other. We also dont know what other magical abilities they possess apart from raising the dead. That is why I believe that the COTF and the magic they possess will be more important than dragons.

Archived