ConCarolinas May 30 - June 1 2014: Charlotte NC GRRM Guest of honor

I stayed overnight with my sister on Saturday. Sunday morning I left early to, hopefully, provide as little disruption to her family's normal Sunday as possible. I saw my nephew as I was leaving, wished him well, and gave him a kiss on the head. He said "bye".

It turns out, that due to my beard, he didn't recognize me. He told my sister at breakfast, "Mom, you know that guy who stayed with us last night... he said to say thanks and bye... who was he?"

I didn't know the beard made me look so different.

what an adventure...now i know what you all have been talking about.

thanks to Ser Scot, Pod, the not so silent sisters, Dreamsongs, Lady Qat, Jetboygirl, One eyed raven, and everyone else that told me their names but of course i was too drunk to remember...you all made me feel welcome and part of a real brotherhood...it was my honor to meet each and every one of you

and to the maid of Woodlynne...i can never thank you enough. i hope i carried your torch with honor and distinction...i shall take this memory into my next life...i got to meet GRRM, party with lots of people dressed like boba fett, and heard a band that played "victorian chamber metal"...what else is there in life...oh yeah meeting you face to face...you name the con and i'll be there with bells on...

...i say again...what an adventure...a great cherry popping time was had by this salty old asshole... :smoking:

Rocksniffer, it was great to meet you too! Likewise ser Scot and ashatayara. I can't wait to see everyone again. I'm still wearing my badge looking for another panel. Unfortunately, the only ones offered today are on the BlacBoard upgrade. Miss all y'all already.

"The Laughing Lion" was Tytos's nickname, so the ship Gerion sailed on was named for his father. Tytos was no warrior and never knighted, and had a good sense of humor. Gerion unlike his brothers and many other adult Lannisters and others, he doesn't have a "ser" before his name in the appendix, meaning he was never knighted. He was also kind as exemplified by his treament of Tyrion, and good at making people laugh. Gerion may have been very much his father's son. Given that, I think he was the brother Tywin hated most, a living reminder of Tytos. I wouldn't be surprised if Tywin paid the crew of the Laughing Lion to throw Gerion overboard when they were out at sea.

Tytos failed the basic test of a feudal overlord and general government: security. Ironborn and pirates as far away as the Stepstones raided his coast, and he even told Farman to stop building warships to defend against the Ironborn, saying that would anger them. He even pardoned the Red Lion, accepting his BS story that he attacked Denys's camp, a blatant act of rebellion, thinking it was bunch of bandits, somehow managing to miss all the banners including the banner of House Lannister. He was also losing lords to the Reach not surprisingly.

Even septons preached against Tytos.

After the War of the Ninepenny Kings, Tywin took over and made it clear he wasn't going to take any sh!t from anyone. He started preparing for war with the Reynes and Tarbecks, and waited for the them to renounce fealty to CR, and then struck quicklyin a move akin to Otto von Bismarck with the Franco-Prussian War. He was brutal as expected, even violating the rules of chivalry by executing highborn prisoners captured in battle, women and children. He showed ingenuity by dealing the with underground keep of Castamere by damning the body of water and flooding it, turning the castle's greatest strength into its downfall.

ETA: Also, Dunk killed Dameon III in the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion; way to go Dunk, and suck it, Bittersteel. The outlaw lord in whose battle resulted in Maekar's death was connected to the Blackfyre Rebellions, House Peake of Starpike was a known Blackfyre supporter in at least the first two Blackfyre Rebellions.

BR was released from imprisonment to lead the Great Council, and it makes me wonder about his trip to the Wall.

Maegor was the one who killed Prince Aegon in battle. I wonder if was atop dragons or in single combat? If it was the former with Quicksilver being Balerion's offspring, either dragons don't form strong bonds with their offspring, especially if the egg is given to Targaryen children or the influence of their riders is enough to compel them to kill their offspring.

I didn't know the beard made me look so different.

Hah. Cute. Admittedly the beard nearly confounded me too.

It was great to see Scot and everyone else. A large enough con but a small enough BwB gathering. The Not so Silent Sisters kicked ass again. Lily has energy to burn and LadyQ is just so nice. Lugs JetBoyGirl asked the questions that needed to be asked. ArlingtonBill saved my ass on the membership front. Ashayatara and HoW proved how little I remember about the books and were very cool about it. I didn't try CinaBon at the airport even though OneEyedRaven recommended it. Lots of southern food though. Hush puppies won the award. Becs, you may have left your glasses in my room? Luga has them if so.

Raya is the ultimate cool minion.

It was great to see Makotohanbi, Sir Knight, rocksniffer and Becs. There were a few Others I didn't meet unfortunately. George Snow was met very briefly. And the con reminded me how important it is for people to have your contact details. Oops!

Some interesting panels. I was more tired than usual, which was a nuisance but I still had lots of fun times. A few of us were left to watch E8 last night and I had great fun going through everything in detail this afternoon with Luga.

We still need a punch line to the joke 3 Silent Sisters walk into a bar...

Next time!

Maegor was the one who killed Prince Aegon in battle. I wonder if was atop dragons or in single combat? If it was the former with Quicksilver being Balerion's offspring, either dragons don't form strong bonds with their offspring, especially if the egg is given to Targaryen children or the influence of their riders is enough to compel them to kill their offspring.

Almost certain it was a dragon battle, as I read somewhere that Quicksilver died there as well. Still it seems...idiotic for Aegon to pit Qicksilver against the Black Dread. So I leave open the possibility that it was a duel and his dragon freaked out after his death and attacked Balerion in a mad rage?

Edit: also are we sure Quicksilver was Balerion's offspring?

Almost certain it was a dragon battle, as I read somewhere that Quicksilver died there as well. Still it seems...idiotic for Aegon to pit Qicksilver against the Black Dread. So I leave open the possibility that it was a duel and his dragon freaked out after his death and attacked Balerion in a mad rage?

Edit: also are we sure Quicksilver was Balerion's offspring?

Quicksilver was likely the oldest and most powerful dragon Aegon had available. Balerion was ridden by Maegor and Vhagar by Visenya, effectively putting the two oldest and most powerful dragons on Maegor's side. If it was a duel and Quicksilver freaked out, then he could have been picked off by Vhagar who had the possibility of not being Quicksilver's mother.

Vhagar and Meraxes are described as female in TPatQ while Balerion is described as male in ACoK, so he was likely the only possible father for Quicksilver, IMO.

Quicksilver was likely the oldest and most powerful dragon Aegon had available. Balerion was ridden by Maegor and Vhagar by Visenya, effectively putting the two oldest and most powerful dragons on Maegor's side. If it was a duel and Quicksilver freaked out, then he could have been picked off by Vhagar who had the possibility of not being Quicksilver's mother.

Vhagar and Meraxes are described as female in TPatQ while Balerion is described as male in ACoK, so he was likely the only possible father for Quicksilver, IMO.

But that is like a hundred years later, and there is that stuff from Barth about dragons changing their sex. I agree you're probably right, I was just wondering if it was confirmed in the official app or something.

I think people are going too harsh on Tytos. He is now my favourite Lannister of all times. Cross-dresser King (or should I say Queen) of the Rock comes after him.

Tytos never wanted to be Lord and never cared for the education needed for a Lord.

By the way, I think the character of Tytos is negative for all the crackpot paternity of Lannister children theories (Aerys raped Joanna etc.). The "needs to be loved" obsession of Tyrion comes from Tytos. Also the plump and meek nature of Tommen comes from Tytos.

I also think that his heart failure is similar to the death of Pate and the first assignment of Arya. I really think that Tywin might have poisoned him and so he tasted his own food by being killed by Tyrion. This also makes it possible that Tywin betrayed Gerion in his mission and tried to have him killed.

Thanks for a great weekend everyone!

I left my glasses? Oops...

I have to go back to my real life in 24 minutes.... :crying:

The DC-17 dinner was terrific. And Raya is a Ray of Sunshine! She was awesome to talk to!

I also think that his heart failure is similar to the death of Pate and the first assignment of Arya. I really think that Tywin might have poisoned him and so he tasted his own food by being killed by Tyrion. This also makes it possible that Tywin betrayed Gerion in his mission and tried to have him killed.

To crack this pot a little more regarding Tytos

his [Tytos's] heart burst one day when he was climbing the steps tom his mistress

He stumbled on the steps as he tried to flee the dragon, and was crushed beneath the feet of his own slaves and companions. That or his [Yurkhaz zo Yunzak's] heart burst in terror.

Yurkhaz, who was called "an old lion," died of unnatural causes at the hands, or rather, feet, of his companions and followers.

Yepp. I agree to this.

Still. Tywin remains an interesting character. Like all the others of course.

Well after what Tywin did to the Tarbecks (sp?), and then the Castameres demand hostages from Tywin to insure that they act the way that they are supposed to. After their raiding the treasury and using it to finance an undermining of Casterly Rock.

Diverting a river into the underground chambers isn't too rough.

GH

Two questions not in there, mine and HoW's.

I asked about the Princess of Dorne, as I wanted to crack a joke about the 'great mystery' of Ned's mother, and I was honestly very curious about her due to Doran's story that involves her thoughts on war. GRRM disappointingly did not know or did not want to reveal her name, and didn't seem sure of whether she would be mentioned by name in TWoIaF (which I took to mean that if she is, Elio/Linda wrote that part, and he signed off on it...that is what I am hoping, at least). He did say we would see some other interesting Martell women in TWoIaF, including more about the Yellow Toad.

Aziz/HoW asked a simple question, 'Was Artos the Implacable lord?' The answer was no (Aziz had surmised as much, but a confirmation was nice, plus they wanted only yes/no questions by the time he was able to ask his question).

Archived