ConCarolinas May 30 - June 1 2014: Charlotte NC GRRM Guest of honor

Two questions not in there, mine and HoW's.

I asked about the Princess of Dorne, as I wanted to crack a joke about the 'great mystery' of Ned's mother, and I was honestly very curious about her due to Doran's story that involves her thoughts on war. GRRM disappointingly did not know or did not want to reveal her name, and didn't seem sure of whether she would be mentioned by name in TWoIaF (which I took to mean that if she is, Elio/Linda wrote that part, and he signed off on it...that is what I am hoping, at least). He did say we would see some other interesting Martell women in TWoIaF, including more about the Yellow Toad.

Aziz/HoW asked a simple question, 'Was Artos the Implacable lord?' The answer was no (Aziz had surmised as much, but a confirmation was nice, plus they wanted only yes/no questions by the time he was able to ask his question).

I am really, really hoping that Doran's mother is named in the World Book.. I've been wondering about her name for years..

Two of the Martell women he could be referring to would most likely at least be the Yellow Toad, and Myriah, who became Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.. Thought of course, I'll be hoping for more Martells..

Do we know who was ruling Dorne by the time of Daeron's conquest? Prince of Princess? If it was a Princess, she might be one of the Martell women GRRM was talking about..?

This Doran's mother thing really vexes me more and more. I really have to write 'die Fürstin von Dorne' as if that was a name in the German version of the App. 'Lord Frey' - Walder's unnamed father from TMK - is another such matter, but at least no one refers to him only as 'the Lord of the Crossing'.

And I'm pretty sure GRRM knows the name of that woman - or would invent it himself, if he had two. I'm pretty sure the Worldbook will cover the recent Dornish history as thoroughly as the recent history of the Westerlands.

[by the way: Ran and Linda are a lot more talkative in their videos than here on the boards... Norvos was founded by religious dissenters who wanted to leave the Freehold (it's still ruled by the Bearded Priests); and Doran's father was - most likely - no longer alive when Elia/Oberyn visited CR with 'the Princess of Dorne' - she may have had another consort at this time.]

This Doran's mother thing really vexes me more and more. I really have to write 'die Fürstin von Dorne' as if that was a name in the German version of the App. 'Lord Frey' - Walder's unnamed father from TMK - is another such matter, but at least no one refers to him only as 'the Lord of the Crossing'.

And I'm pretty sure GRRM knows the name of that woman - or would invent it himself, if he had two. I'm pretty sure the Worldbook will cover the recent Dornish history as thoroughly as the recent history of the Westerlands.

[by the way: Ran and Linda are a lot more talkative in their videos than here on the boards... Norvos was founded by religious dissenters who wanted to leave the Freehold (it's still ruled by the Bearded Priests); and Doran's father was - most likely - no longer alive when Elia/Oberyn visited CR with 'the Princess of Dorne' - she may have had another consort at this time.]

A consort is definitly mentioned to have accompanied them to CR, so if their father was dead by then, it must have been a second consort (perhaps not even by marriage). (though if I'm not mistaken, isn't the term "consort" usually used for a spouse?)

Which video's are you talking about? It's getting late, but then I'd have something to watch tomorrow :)

It was amazing meeting all of you, I had such a great time this weekend (what a surprise heh). About to eat one of those delicious pastries, in fact!

We just finished our notes on the reading (skipped the episode and everything). I don't want to post it all here and format it and everything (plus it is massive), so here it is on our website.

Awesome! Thanks! I bought a little notebook and stole a pen and ended up just listening enthralled. How do you do it? Also, I was the one (of the many, I'm sure) that came up to you to say "Cool Dress".

You got one of my questions, but you missed the other one.

I also asked about the conversation that Jon and Arya had when Jon gave her Needle. Where she said that she wished that he was coming with them (to Kings Landing). And he replied that many roads lead to the same castle.

He didn't give a direct answer, but from reading his expression, I think I got an answer.

GH

Awesome! Thanks! I bought a little notebook and stole a pen and ended up just listening enthralled. How do you do it? Also, I was the one (of the many, I'm sure) that came up to you to say "Cool Dress".

Oh, oops, forgot to respond to you. I did in fact have multiple people come up to me, so I can't actually remember which one you were, but I'm sure it was nice to meet you, nonetheless, as I liked everyone I met last weekend! Being almost entirely surrounded by people who are passionate about the same thing is so great; every person I talked to, I could hardly shut up.

It was really hard to take notes, I agree, so hard not to get sucked into the story. (I took my notes on my smartphone, haha, so I was also dealing with autocorrect costing me precious seconds a couple of times)

So I think I forgot to mention that several of us "Rolled Pods with Pod" at the Royal Manticoran Navy party near the end of the night. Special layered shot that is similar to hot chocolate in taste.

You mean, I left you all you DC-17 rogues alone as an all-men's club while adjourning down to the bar with Lady Sage and Spirit? :shocked:

Most awesome moments of the Con were when a school librarian asked GRRM for a photo and told him that 'You just made me a hero with my students' and when a lady asked for a picture with him after explaining how his writing helped her after a debilitating illness. Both times, he just had the biggest smile on his face. GRRM is easily one of the most gracious people that I have ever met. I have lived in the Deep South for most of my life, so that says volumes from me.

You mean, I left you all you DC-17 rogues alone as an all-men's club while adjourning down to the bar with Lady Sage and Spirit? :shocked:

I was on a brief break from DC-17 and touring the 4th floor. This was right after George headed to his room.

Rocksniffer - I am so glad you had such an excellent time. :D The BWB is amazing. It is known. \m/

you are right, it is known...now i can wear my shirts (BWB and Blame Pod) knowing what they mean...it was killer

Rocksniffer, it was great to meet you too! Likewise ser Scot and ashatayara. I can't wait to see everyone again. I'm still wearing my badge looking for another panel. Unfortunately, the only ones offered today are on the BlacBoard upgrade. Miss all y'all already.

you too, my dear Lily, my only regret - not being able to share a dance with you ... ;)

Hah. Cute. Admittedly the beard nearly confounded me too.

It was great to see Scot and everyone else. A large enough con but a small enough BwB gathering. The Not so Silent Sisters kicked ass again. Lily has energy to burn and LadyQ is just so nice. Lugs JetBoyGirl asked the questions that needed to be asked. ArlingtonBill saved my ass on the membership front. Ashayatara and HoW proved how little I remember about the books and were very cool about it. I didn't try CinaBon at the airport even though OneEyedRaven recommended it. Lots of southern food though. Hush puppies won the award. Becs, you may have left your glasses in my room? Luga has them if so.

Raya is the ultimate cool minion.

It was great to see Makotohanbi, Sir Knight, rocksniffer and Becs. There were a few Others I didn't meet unfortunately. George Snow was met very briefly. And the con reminded me how important it is for people to have your contact details. Oops!

Some interesting panels. I was more tired than usual, which was a nuisance but I still had lots of fun times. A few of us were left to watch E8 last night and I had great fun going through everything in detail this afternoon with Luga.

We still need a punch line to the joke 3 Silent Sisters walk into a bar...

Next time!

My new friend POD...the only thing I blame you for is having a great weekend...i have been looking forward to meeting you and it was better than i imagined. you got a standing invite to columbia anytime brother! i will cook you up some low-country shrimp and grits and fried green tomatoes...the ultimate of southern food...i don't have a punchline but next line of joke is...3 silent sisters walk into a bar and the basset hound says...

and i must add cheers to Raya as well...it was a blast getting to know her...she is a riot and has an amazing laugh...

Thanks for a great weekend everyone!

I left my glasses? Oops...

I have to go back to my real life in 24 minutes.... :crying:

The DC-17 dinner was terrific. And Raya is a Ray of Sunshine! She was awesome to talk to!

DreamSongs, you were a ray of sunshine yourself...it was really cool to talk shit and party with you...we need to get together again...soon!!!

...sorry you left your glasses...i left my travel mug...now i am driving around with no way to hide my liquor... :mellow:

My very first Con ever was an all out blast! Thanks to all you wonderful people for welcoming me! In other news, my password trouble is resolved, so I can share my appreciation....Yay! Thanks all!

Mine too, Pearl...you are right, everyone welcomed us to the Hood like Brothers...without Banners...

Most awesome moments of the Con were when a school librarian asked GRRM for a photo and told him that 'You just made me a hero with my students' and when a lady asked for a picture with him after explaining how his writing helped her after a debilitating illness. Both times, he just had the biggest smile on his face. GRRM is easily one of the most gracious people that I have ever met. I have lived in the Deep South for most of my life, so that says volumes from me.

i know what you mean Dream, Number One Niece, Graycie Lou was just chatting him up about his favorite places he had seen, and how she liked that his face always looked full of joy...i felt proud she didn't let the fact that he is uber famous freak her out...i must say it was freaking me out until he laughed and told a joke that made Pod blush...i could not have asked for a better first con experience...and a big part of that was you my friend... :cheers:

...next time i will send in my clone to extra activities...since they don't have a smoking panel.... :smoking:

What an excellent weekend. This was only my second Con, so I was very glad to have the BwB crowd to connect with. We ate together, drank together, sat together at readings, waited in lines together, and generally had a fine BwB time.

Lily Valley is my Con-Sister for life. I love her energy and she’s so fun and easy to be around. And watching her karaoke was one of the highlights for me. Lily Valley, I will forever be a backup singer/dancer for you!

Bex and OneEyedRaven jumped into Silent Sister costuming with us this time and we had great fun, although we didn’t get assigned any volunteer roles. Which turned out even better since we had more fun.

LugaJetboygirl always asks GRRM the best questions. I want to study history now. And I’ve never been that interested in history before. Good luck in the trench. :-)

I must agree with Bex and Pod, Raya *is* a Golden ray of sunshine. A very cool and incredibly talented artist in her own right. Plus, she kicks butt protecting GRRM from the fans that get a bit too ‘stalky’., which happened a few times Saturday night.

At one point a really drunk guy stood on the bed in one of the party rooms and ripped his shirt open, wanting George to autograph his chest. Or the woman who whipped out one of her pierced ‘dugs’, assuming she was contemplating getting her breast autographed as well. We definitely saw some strange ones there, but perhaps this is more the norm. I’ve only been to CapClave, which was a much smaller Con. A one point, it felt on the cusp of getting out of hand. I felt very protective of GRRM then and was glad the BwB surrounded him.

In all, I’d like to blame Pod for an excellent weekend. He’s a very funny, cool, and smart guy who keeps beating me in the ‘who traveled the farthest for this Con’ contest. I’m not sure if he’ll read this as it’s not 100% clear to me that they have computers in Ireland. ;-)

Arzlington Bill set the bar pretty high with his leadership of CapClave last year. CapClave was my first con and my expectations were dashed by out of control line waiting and such. But it wasn’t too bad, and we BwBs just rolled with it. Who cares if I have to wait in line if I get to enjoy this group of friends?

Also - Bill’s DC-17 party was rockin! I attempted a photo of Pod rolling Pods, but it came out a big blur. Apparently candid Pod photos are impossible. It is known.

It was nice to meet:

• Ser Scot - great job taking the BwB lead. And I like the beard. :-)
  • Ashayatara - cutest map of westeros dress.
  • History of Westeros - Wow. Your book knowledge astounded me. Pod even said my mouth was hanging open when you were telling us some of the history. Brilliant! I look forward to talking with you both more.
  • George Snow - thanks for the lovely dragonglass!
  • rocksniffer - It was great to meet you. You definitely know how to party and had a great time. I’m so happy for you that you’ve been able to get to a Con and had such a great time talking to GRRM.
  • Sadly, I don’t believe I had the opportunity to meet Lady Sage and Spirit nor Pearlthegirl.

I'm finally getting over my Post-Con Depression. I thought you all were kidding about this, but it's a true malady.

That wasn't our report of the Q&A...neither of us took extensive notes, we were busy standing in line! What was your other question, by the way?

It was the one where I mentioned his editor's chat about the chapters that he had delivered, and how many that were completed that were not delivered.

His answer: Some

PS - I was the guy on Saturday that was dressed in yellow (with a yellow baby griffon on my shoulder) that mentioned that there was another lady wearing the same dress that you were. I was in line for the autographs near Petyr and Renly.

GH

I'm late in saying so, but I had a fantastic time meeting everyone. I'm not new to the boards but I am new to BwB stuff, and am wondering why I didn't get involved sooner. Such a great bunch of people, there's something really nice about being around people you've never met that somehow feel like old friends.

I know Dragon*Con is not a huge ASOIAF event, but if any of you make it down, let me and AshayaTara know so we can get together for more fun times. We'll keep an eye out for other conventions that we can make it to as well, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again whenever possible!

You DID meet PearTheGirl ! She was our lovely party hostess on Friday night!

Ah yes. That was a wild party and PearTheGirl was a most excellent hostess. And she had LOADS of people in that room!

BwB know how to party. :cheers:

Archived