ConCarolinas May 30 - June 1 2014: Charlotte NC GRRM Guest of honor

Hello all! My first post (I know, I know, I've just been absorbing for a while). I plan to begin adding my two cents to the discussions now though!

I am in Charlotte and psyched to see GRRM at concarolinas this year! Hope to meet some new friends there!

Let me know if anyone has any Charlotte-specific questions. I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

Hello all! My first post (I know, I know, I've just been absorbing for a while). I plan to begin adding my two cents to the discussions now though!

I am in Charlotte and psyched to see GRRM at concarolinas this year! Hope to meet some new friends there!

Let me know if anyone has any Charlotte-specific questions. I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

I think the big question is, "What is the best BBQ place near the con hotel?" If we know and have plans set, we may be able to get George to join us for dinner Saturday evening. But a group outing will still be good even if he can't make it.

Way closer than lexington, there is Bill Spoon's whole hog (south charlotte), Mac's Speed Shop (southend), BBQ KIng (west Charlotte) and Mert's (uptown). And of course, I must add, my 'hood, we do a kickass smoked butt or sometimes whole pig twice a year and consistently sell out 200 lbs plus 2 home-made sauces.

I can't make Worldcon next year so this will be my BWB event for 2014. If you can make it please come. If you're new to the Con scene a small local convention is always fun. I'm in contact with one of the organizers and I'm going to see what I can do about, possiblely getting a party room. There is a $$ problem involved with that so we shall see. If you coming let us know here.

I'd love it is some of my worldcon compatriots could make it down for this one.

I'm planing on being there! ^_^... I was just starting a thread on this.. Before I was sent here lol hope to see some familiar faces from the forum

Okay,

I'm making preliminary contacts with Con organizers about what is involved with doing an actual BwB party on Saturday night at the convention. This is a long way from a done deal. If we do it I would need from people willing to do things set up, tear down, moiniter the party to make sure no one is behaving inappropriately (the tickler for example), keep an eye on garbage cans to make sure they are being kept from overflowing, keeping us in ice. If we have alcohol available we'd need people to check IDs, act as bartenders, etc. We would also need those coming to be willing to make a small contribution to cover the cost of the party.

We're also talking about food from Bill Spoon's barbecue. I'm going to call his shop to find out what carry out dinner for 30-35 people would cost along with the cost of the suite and any other sundries. This is very preliminary at this point. Once I have an idea of what this will cost we can get a better idea of what's involved I simply wanted everyone coming to start thinking in that direction.

:)

Okay,

I've heard back from the Con president. She advised that there is no corkage and that food in the rooms is fine. There are dedicated party floors but no suites available. She recommended that we get two adjoining rooms if we're going to do this. If two people are coming and staying in the con hotel and are willing to volunteer their rooms this may be more easily doable.

Please let me know what everyone wants to do.

AB,

:thumbsup:

I'm also considering a number of alternatives. For example if someone lives in Charlotte and is near the consite and their apartment or development has a "club house" we could use that might be a nice off site location for BBQ and a party without the crowding to small hotel rooms. With no suites available and at least 25 of us coming that might be a viable way to pull this off. Also maybe the restaraunt, with advance notice, could set aside a room for us to eat then we head back to the con after dinner.

I'd like to try and book my room this weekend, but I am getting this website when I google the convention. I'm assuming there's a convention code or con-rate for the hotel. Once I get the room booked, I'd be delighted to host a party or help in any way needed.

Lily, the con changed their website and it doesn't come up easily if you do a search for it. But this should work:

http://www.concarolinas.info/?page_id=117

(No, I'm sadly not coming to this con but I knew the answer to this so am jumping in.)

Archived