Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lord Varys

Dance stuff and the army of Regents for Aegon III

More Dance and Dorne casualties:

House Piper:

Lord Stanton, 90-131, "killed in the Dance of the Dragons"

ser Gerald, 110-131, Stanton´s only son, "killed in the Dance of the Dragons"

lord Mychel, 93-

ser Robyn, 132-, "killed in Dorne", but this time year unspecified

House Roote:

ser Addam Wayn, 127-157, "killed in Dorne"

Well, but you did not invent that Regent stuff, or did you? Or most of the guys who died during the Dance, especially since they would have little to no impact on the events of the game?

Since I never gave this stuff a closer look, assuming that it was just non-canon game stuff, I don't know what has changed now in this 2.0 version...

We invented stuff for the Dance too, since some family trees ended up going that far back. :) So yeah, plenty of non-canon material going that far back too.

Well, so now I've to sit at home alone counting all those regents without knowing whether they existed or not. That's cruel :D.

Anyway, my bet in that particular thing is that this is non-canon information. But then some sort of Great Council coalition putting Aegon III on the Iron Throne could have decided to rotate the Regency among the lesser lords of the Small Council, ensuring that the Crown's power would be greatly diminished until the king came of age (or even afterwards).

But at least some stuff is very canonical.

House Ryger:

Lord Terin has two uncles - but NO father.

Ser Ryan Ryger, 104-129 - "killed in the Dance of the Dragons"

Ser Jeron Ryger, 107-158 - "killed in Dorne" - age 51

ser Danwell Ryger, 129-157 - "killed in Dorne"

House Smallwood:

This time father exists - but there are also granduncle, yet grandfather does not exist.

ser Theomar, 92-131, "killed in the Dance of the Dragons"

We often avoid adding fathers because that's another marriage to figure out for no pay-off in more available characters. Uncles and grand-uncles, on the other hand, lead to new branches.

So, most of the decisions are due to us wanting as many playable characters as possible without having to go too far back.

Well, but you did not invent that Regent stuff, or did you? Or most of the guys who died during the Dance, especially since they would have little to no impact on the events of the game?

Since I never gave this stuff a closer look, assuming that it was just non-canon game stuff, I don't know what has changed now in this 2.0 version...

Manfryd Mooton, Corwyn Corbray and Torhenn Manderly did not appear in "Blood of Dragons 1.0". The first two have been just included. Torhenn Manderly replaces a previous Ser Emmett:

BEFORE: his father, {Ser Emmett Manderly} (b. 100), found dead in his sleep (d. 139),

NOW: his father, {Lord Torrhen Manderly} (b. 100), Lord of White Harbor, once a regent and Hand of the King, found dead in his sleep (d. 139),

If those three have been introduced at this point by Ran and Linda, it's reasonable to assume that they are about to be canon once the World Book is published. However, we can't be sure about the details at all, as for instance we can see that the details of the death of the Manderly Hand are retained from the previous version, and that's ancient material that can't be canon (I copied the old version of the trees by 2006, and they were created some years before I think).

It's worth noting that besides Lord Manfryd Mooton, his elder broother Lord Walys has been added as the previous lord of Maidenpool who was killed in the Dance.

Apparently, the Lannisters ended up as supporters of Aegon II since Ser Tyland Lannister, Master of Ships under Viserys I and the younger twin-brother of Lord Jason Lannister (who died in the Dance), ended up as Hand of the King (most likely under Aegon II) and only died after the Dance.

This also smells of canonicity too, since both Tyland and Jason are new incorporations.

Also, other referred deaths in wars and other generally known events:

Most of the casualties you list (Joffrey Staunton, Derik, Garrett and Lymond Buckwell, Mychel Piper, Jeron Ryger...) already appeared in the former trees created when Ran and Linda hadn't received the information for the World Book and, most likely, even George had not created a detailed Dance of Dragons narrative and dramatis personae. I would be very suprised if any of them became canon.