R+L=J v. 57

Stubby

Robert would never agreed to marry Cersei before he heard Ned's news about Lyanna's death. While Ned could tell Robert of Lyanna's death by raven, I think it highly unlikely he does not give it in person. All of which is to say Ned travels take place in this order: Storm's End, Tower of Joy, Starfall, Storm's End (or wherever Ned meets with his troops to begin the journey north and when the northern host first sees Jon) then King's Landing to tell Robert the news, and on to Winterfell with a possible stop at Riverrun on the way.

Which all begs the question, did Ned bring Jon with him to King's Landing? I think not.

Ah. I have not seen that.

If there weren't any battles in Dorne (other than the TOJ), does that mean Ned went to Dragonstone with Stannis?

Sorry, I was away from my computer and didn't have my notes available. Here is the reference I was writing about:

September 11, 1999

The Baratheon Brothers

First. When Cersei and Ned talked in the godswood in aGoT, she mentioned Jon, and wondered who his mother was, (paraphrasing) "...Some peasant wife you raped, while her holdfast burned?" This indicates that there were fightings in Dorne when Ned went there to get Lyanna back. But I thought the Martells stayed out of the war, and that Ned went there when the war was all over. So: did Ned take an army with him into Dorne, or not?

Ned's army did not accompany him to Dorne, no. There were no battles in Dorne during Robert's Rebellion, though doubtless there were minor skirmishes along the borders. But it's not entirely correct that the Martells stayed out of the war. Rhaegar had Dornish troops with him on the Trident, under the command of Prince Lewyn of the Kingsguard. However, the Dornishmen did not support him as strongly as they might have, in part because of anger at his treatment of Elia, in part because of Prince Doran's innate caution. Cersei's line reflects no more than a desire to wound, to say something nasty to get a rise out of Ned.

We don't have anything that indicates Ned went with Stannis to Dragonstone. I highly doubt it because Robert gives the command to Stannis and I think that unlikely if Ned was along.

Sorry, I was away from my computer and didn't have my notes available. Here is the reference I was writing about:

We don't have anything that indicates Ned went with Stannis to Dragonstone. I highly doubt it because Robert gives the command to Stannis and I think that unlikely if Ned was along.

Thanks. I don't think I saw that before, but you're right -- no battle at Starfall.

However, this makes Ned's statement about fighting battles after the Sack of KL more confusing to me.

Thanks. I don't think I saw that before, but you're right -- no battle at Starfall.

However, this makes Ned's statement about fighting battles after the Sack of KL more confusing to me.

Martin has also talked about there being a number of battles, skirmishes, etc. that he has not detailed at all, so it wouldn't be surprising if on his way to Storm's End Ned has some type of conflict with Targaryen loyalists. I wish Martin would just write a detailed history of the rebellion and give it to us, but no such luck. Perhaps the world book will fill in some things, but I doubt we will ever get such a history. Sorry, Twinslayer, but I can't be more helpful on this without just giving you my guesses. Which I guess is just what I've done in this post. Let me know if you find something new.

Now that you mention it, the geography is kind of inconvenient for a trip to Starfall pre-TOJ.

I thought Cat said somewhere that the rumour was that Ned brought Jon out of Starfall. Or perhaps out of Dorne more generally. I could be wrong about that, but he would have come through Starfall at some point. Either he was there when Ned arrived or Ned took him there post-TOJ, right?

No. There is no mention of any connection to Dorne or Starfall, anywhere, other than Wylla.

Martin has also talked about there being a number of battles, skirmishes, etc. that he has not detailed at all, so it wouldn't be surprising if on his way to Storm's End Ned has some type of conflict with Targaryen loyalists. I wish Martin would just write a detailed history of the rebellion and give it to us, but no such luck. Perhaps the world book will fill in some things, but I doubt we will ever get such a history. Sorry, Twinslayer, but I can't be more helpful on this without just giving you my guesses. Which I guess is just what I've done in this post. Let me know if you find something new.

George posted that he would be writing a "Silmarillion" type of book which is tentatively titled, GRRMarillion.

George posted that he would be writing a "Silmarillion" type of book which is tentatively titled, GRRMarillion.

I wasn't aware this was necessarily going to cover the details of Robert's Rebellion, but if it is great. Still I won't hold my breath waiting for its publication. It's a project thought to be for release after ASoI&F is finished, and that looks a long way off to me.

No. There is no mention of any connection to Dorne or Starfall, anywhere, other than Wylla.

True, but there has to be a connection with the soldier's rumors carried back to Winterfell that speak of Ashara as Jon's mom. If it was common knowledge Ashara was visiting in Ned's camp then it would be known as a fact instead of just a rumor. The best explanation, it seems to me, is that Ned shows up with Jon after his journey to Starfall. Add into this those who remember Ned wanting to dance with Ashara at Harrenhal, and gossip will fly among bored soldiers. It is a sure indicator that Jon doesn't show up on the trip to Storm's End. We must also add Cersei remarks to Ned about Ashara and Dornish peasants, and I think the time sequence of when Jon shows himself is certainly after Starfall.

I've thought before that Ashara and Lyanna might have become friends at the Tourney. The connection between the Daynes and the Starks seems to hinge on more than just Ned returning Dawn to Starfall. The reasons for him going fulfill certain expectations on the part of observers, but the potential for what Ned can accomplish by going there are enormous. I know honor, etc, but the Daynes don't seem to be harboring many hard feelings for what happened to Arthur and Ashara?

ETA: in the same vein that Ned doesn't seem to harbor hard feelings toward Rhaegar for what happened to Lyanna. He seems to think that Lyanna got herself into trouble. It bears thinking.

Wasn't Ed early 30's? And how much time has passed since the beginning of the book, two, three years? It's possible that she could just look 4 or 5 years older than she was. But from Barristan's comments, I think it was Brandon Stark she went with, not Eddard and I wonder if that makes her older than Eddard?

Ned was in his mid thirties, so Ashara will have been around the same age as him.

Well even if she was the same age as Ned, give or take, she'd have still been old enough to be "dishonoured" by Brandon.

Ned was in his mid thirties, so Ashara will have been around the same age as him.

Well even if she was the same age as Ned, give or take, she'd have still been old enough to be "dishonoured" by Brandon.

Considering Ashara danced with a number of men quite a bit older than Ned, I suppose she could easily be about 5 years his elder.

Archived