Top Five Cities in ASOIAF.

BaseBornBastard

Throughout the series, we are introduced to many different cities. Many have rich, unique cultures and histories and are described quite vividly. Which cities appeal the most to you?

My top five are:

1, Braavos - By far my favourite. I love the "Venetian" style of it. It seems to be the most progressive city in ASOIAF with its focus on freedom of religion and the abolition of slavery in a continent where slavery is such a huge business. I think its history is cool, being founded by escaped slaves and its existence being a secret for so long. I also dig the FM thing.

2. Oldtown - Smaller than KL, yet it seems a lot cleaner and much more livable. Being the home of the Citadel, it's the intellectual capital of Westeros.

3. Lys - With its pleasure houses, it is the city of vices. It's ASOIAF's answer to Amsterdam or Vegas.

4. Volantis - I love how it's described, sitting at the mouth of the continent's biggest river with its massive, majestic expanse and its dwarf elephants taxiing everyone around the city.

5. White Harbor - Not sure why I like it, really. I guess because it's the only city in the North and I like the North.

I really liked reading about Braavos. I feel the imagery is so well written that i can picture it so vividly.

Same with King's Landing.

I didn't really feel i had spent enough time in White Harbour to really get a feel for it, which was a shame because it sounds awesome.

I really liked the imagery of Vaes Tolorro (Spelling?) i think it gave an excellent atmosphere.

Volantis seemed really cool, and i loved that about ADWD. All the new places we got to see along the Rhoyne were really cool. It really captured the atmosphere of age and ruin.

I'd love to see more of the free cities.

Braavos, Qarth, Volantis, King's Landing(political/religious center of Westeros), Oldtown, Pentos, Mereen, Lys, Myr, Astapor(pre-sack), Yunkai(pre-defeat), Norvos, Lannisport, Gulltown, Tyrosh, White Harbour, Qohor, Lorath, Planky town.

I'm interested in the Free Cities we don't hear much about, them being Lorath, Norvos and Qohor. Lorath seems cool, if only because it stays out of everyone's shit.

Exactly. Thats why Norvos and Lorath are on my list.

1. Lys - pleasure houses...

2. Winterfell/Winter Town - I'd be a fan of the northern aspect of life, until winter actually came, then it's back to Lys.

3. Sunspear/Water Gardens - just hanging out, enjoying the sun and the water.

4. Braavos - there's just so much to do there.

5. Pentos - seems to be a pretty calm and comfortable vacation spot.

now that I think of it, we haven't really seen much detail of very many cities.

Which cities have been fleshed out the most?

1. Braavos

2. Kings Landing?

3. Oldtown?

4. White Harbor?

5. Somewhere is Essos

kings landing is by far the most interesting...my favorite part of the story for sure revolves around the events that occur there

qarth is probably the prettiest/wealthiest/place I would want to live in ASOAF

the imagery of the vale seems pretty amazing (i feel the show did a great job of depicting it)

not a city...but THE LEAST INTERESTING PLACE...BY FAR....im sorry, but the fucking riverlands (other than the twins during the RR)

Archived