Winterfell's holdfast

Mychel_Redfort

Sorry if the question seems stupid but it puzzles me.

The summary of A Game of Thrones Chapter 1 on the wiki places Winterfell's holdfast, where Gared is executed, north of Winterfell. So does the interactive Game of Thrones map. But on their way back, Robb and Jon find the dead direwolf and the pups "on the riverbank north of the bridge". And the river is clearly south of Winterfell. So do I miss something or shouldn't the holdfast be south of Winterfell too ? It's a bit far, but it would fit "the long ride back to Winterfell". The holdfast is stated to be "in the hills." There are mountains north of Winterfill, but surely there can be hills in the south nonetheless ?

Sorry if the question seems stupid but it puzzles me.

The summary of A Game of Thrones Chapter 1 on the wiki places Winterfell's holdfast, where Gared is executed, north of Winterfell. So does the interactive Game of Thrones map. But on their way back, Robb and Jon find the dead direwolf and the pups "on the riverbank north of the bridge". And the river is clearly south of Winterfell. So do I miss something or shouldn't the holdfast be south of Winterfell too ? It's a bit far, but it would fit "the long ride back to Winterfell". The holdfast is stated to be "in the hills." There are mountains north of Winterfill, but surely there can be hills in the south nonetheless ?

I kind of took it that its a smaller river which is so small that its not put out on the larger maps.

wait now im confused. i though winterfell was a holdfast itself. since when is there a separate holdfast north of winterfell.

Winterfell is a major castle and probably among the largest in the North, if the THE largest. There are smaller keeps, villages and holdfasts scattered across the entire North but most of them are to small and unimportant to be mentioned most of the time.

Archived