Why do people think Tyrion riding a dragon is "absurd" ?

It's not fan fiction to say that a character who wants revenge would use a weapon to take revenge. If someone wrote a post saying they'd love to read about Jon being Azor Ahai Reborn slaying Others, that wouldn't be fan fiction.

When it becomes more about wish fulfillment than what's actually presented in the text, that's the conclusion I come to.

And there's plenty of foreshadowing in the text for Tyrion getting a dragon. What I'm saying is that storyline wouldn't have to be cliche--it could be original and showcase the true destructive potential of the dragons. Yes, it is something I wish would happen. I also wish Jon won't die and that Arya would leave the FM. So?

Yes... Tyrion getting revenge by burning hundreds (perhaps thousands) alive is really "fanfiction", because I'm sure all his fans would love to read about him doing that.

I've seen a lot of fanfiction-level theories. This is not one of them IMO.

However, I think the only "dragon" Tyrion will get to use as a weapon for revenge will be a Targaryen rather than a real dragon. It makes sense with his knowledge of politics and dragons and fits his story arc better than becoming a dragonrider. (And, as I said earlier in this thread, I hate the "Tyrion is a Targaryen" theory far too much to want Tyrion to ride a dragon.)

Oh, of course I don't subscribe to Tyrion as a Targ as a theory. And fans of one character will always like to read about their character succeeding.

Here's some of the foreshadowing I see in the text.

Tyrion telling Jon he dreamed of dragons

Tyrion making Bran a saddle

Robert Arryn wanting Tyrion to 'fly'

The position of the eggs in Drogos pyre--the black next to his side (for Dany, his wife) the cream between his legs (for a potential lover) and the green by his head (for an advisor)

Tyrion using fire to burn his enemies on the Blackwater

Jorah telling Dany she needs two other men to ride her dragons

Tyrion being asked to write down everything he knows about dragons for Griff

Someone has to ride the other two dragons. Right now, they're loose in Mereen. One of the new arrivals must find some way to get them under control. Do you really think Victarion has a better chance?

I think there is a good deal of sense in Tyrion riding a dragon at this point. They are immature and cannot take full size riders. Dany is a small woman, and Drogon is her largest dragon. I wonder if Martin will rule that they gorw just fast enough for Rhaegal or Viserion to lift Moqorro or Victarion, or if he has Arya in mind for the third rider.

When it becomes more about wish fulfillment than what's actually presented in the text, that's the conclusion I come to.

Fanfiction is what the other posters do. I do serious analysis based on textual evidence. ;)

You know the main reason I want Tyrion to ride a dragon? People will look at him with fear in their eyes. All his life, people have looked at him with derision, disgust and pity. Just once, I'd like for people to fear him and I'd like for him to feel like a "giant" for a day.

Yes... Tyrion getting revenge by burning hundreds (perhaps thousands) alive is really "fanfiction", because I'm sure all his fans would love to read about him doing that.

I've seen a lot of fanfiction-level theories. This is not one of them IMO.

However, I think the only "dragon" Tyrion will get to use as a weapon for revenge will be a Targaryen rather than a real dragon. It makes sense with his knowledge of politics and dragons and fits his story arc better than becoming a dragonrider. (And, as I said earlier in this thread, I hate the "Tyrion is a Targaryen" theory far too much to want Tyrion to ride a dragon.)

I like this perspective. Honestly though, I won't be cranky if Tyrion can ride a dragon because he has a Targaryen ancestor several generations back. I will be cranky if he is Aerys' son. That has to be my least favorite theories.

Because people don't like him, and unliked characters Can't Have Nice Things™

:agree:

It's why people would hate it if Jon became KITN or got the Iron Throne or Dany conquered Westeros with her dragons and got the Iron throne. And the standard excuse for why all this is disliked is that 'it's cliche'. Certain characters have been set up right from the start to do certain things and disliking them is not going to change where their story arc is going.

Tyrion riding a dragon is more plausible at this stage than Sansa becoming a player which seems to be a favorite theory around here.

Archived