Jaime Lannister : Not Kingslayer ?

Oberyn Stark

From GoT to SoS Kingslayer has changed a lot. Yes he pushed Bran out of a tower , but then he does have a small sense of honour. He saved his "wench" (brienne) from a bear pit and then sent her off to find Sansa. His sorting out the kings guard and refusing to leave it show that he has changed. He saved the whole of KL from being burnt by wildfire , and now one knows or cares ; he's just a Kingslayer. To sum up I think he's one of the most mis understood characters in the series. Thoughts anyone??

He's my favorite Lannister. I have argued over Jamie with my friends multiple times, friends who deify Ned Stark. Well, noone is impeccable and the fact that Ned instantly judged Jamie guilty after the Mad King's murder, kind of made me eventually to regard Jamie as a character with greater depth than the one I initially assume.

Enjoy the rest of the books!

Ned has, since finishing ASoS, struck me very muckh as a pompous, judgemental, and rather mean spirited character. Jaime's an interesting character, no doubt about it. I also very much liked Robb Stark, so I'm not, like, totally against the Starks.

They have their moments.

Pushing a child out the window to hide an incest relationship with a crazy queen is not a minor flaw to a character. I think Jaime has just started to become a better person since he met Brienne and lost his arm. Before that he was an arrogant shit.

Jaime was always arrogant and proud, but I also felt that he was one of the most honest characters in the series. His character development is certainly one of my favourites (in fact Jaime is one of my favourite characters). Having said this, what he did to Bran is just wrong. :L

I agree that Jamie Lannister has been completely misunderstood. Even during the war of usurper he advised Aerys against letting Tywin Lannister inside KL but when Aerys ordered him to kill his father and burn the city, he killed him. What was wrong in this?

He never made an effort to make people understand him better, he's way to arrogant/proud for that. So if he's misunderstood, it's his own fault. And he shouldn't have pushed Bran out of that window, one hand doesn't make up for two legs. Especially if you don't feel any remorse about the crime.

• 2 months later...

Jaime is one of the best developed characters. The difference between the warrior Jaime & the crippled Jaime is stark. The thing I love best about him is that he is very honest to himself. Also he is the only one person who was bad before but is trying desperately to correct his mistakes...which just makes him human.

@Aerys: I do not blame him for killing Aerys. After seeing Brandon & Rickard Stark roasting in their own armour, after hearing how Elia was "attacked" by a wild beast, after being asked to serve his father's head, he did what any normal person would do. He chose blood & humanity over some stupid vow which stops a person from even being human :frown5:

@Cersei: Their relation is disgusting I agree. But both were in it of their own free will! So I try to ignore it...to each his own!

@Bran: This was something horrible, even to do "out of love". I am not sure if Jaime losing his hand somehow recompenses for him making Bran a cripple. Bran had dreams which were crushed after this accident, Jaime was his sword hand without which he is nothing.

He never made an effort to make people understand him better, he's way to arrogant/proud for that...

Agree...

Jaime had decided that he would return Sansa and the younger girl as well if she could be found. It was not like wining back his los honor, but the notion of keeping faith when they all expected betrayal, amuse him more that he could say...

I like him, but he is not some uncomprehended white knight.

Ned has, since finishing ASoS, struck me very muckh as a pompous, judgemental, and rather mean spirited character.

How is Ned a mean spirited character? If you are talking about his treatment of Jaime, might I remind you that he did absolutely nothing towards Jaime besides dislike him as a person. Furthermore, he even risked his life and safety to go out of his way to save Jaime's children after Jaime attempted to kill one of his sons.

While I really like Jaime, I don't fault Ned for his instant judgement. Jaime is an indisputably cocky, arrogant and seemingly self-serving man. Ned walks in on the Kingslayer sitting upon the throne in Lannister armour, his sword covered with the king he was supposed to defend with his life's blood, just after Tywin begins sacking the city.

It's not difficult to ascertain how Ned's quick conclusion came about.

• 2 weeks later...

How is Ned a mean spirited character? If you are talking about his treatment of Jaime, might I remind you that he did absolutely nothing towards Jaime besides dislike him as a person. Furthermore, he even risked his life and safety to go out of his way to save Jaime's children after Jaime attempted to kill one of his sons.

Ned may be stiff-necked with honor, but aren't all his bannermen (with the notable exception of one house) stiff-necked with honor? I think that is part of being a Northman.

In Game, we were set up to dislike Jaime. When we met him in Riverrun's cells, he was still a jerk. He does begin to change once he is with Brienne. And when he returns to rescue her, he rescues himself.

What Ned knew of Jaime was what everyone else knew of him -- he killed the king he was sworn to protect and was sitting in the IT when Ned came to KL.

Ned did not know the perfectly honorable (and sane) reasons Jaime had to kill Aerys. Does anyone know? It does not seem to be recorded in the White Book. (I wonder what Jaime did write). Maybe Varys knows. Why Jaime chose not to explain is Martin's choosing.

Unfortunately, I think it is too late for him. He is known as the Kingslayer and many believe the father of golden haired "Baratheon" brood.

Archived