Update 8/25: WorldCon Attendees: Here Be Info on Party Donations, Meet&Greet and SHAME

Lonestarcon3 is less than two weeks away!

I figure that this thread can be a great clearinghouse for updates and information on BWB happenings during the event.

SEND ME YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER VIA PM!

We've found that the best way to organize quickly is via cell phone. I promise that I will not give your number out to anyone else unless you let me know otherwise. That said, those who know each other might also want to exchange phone numbers for non-official BWB stuff. Further, the best way to organize at WorldCon is via text, so share your number with some people you trust. Believe me, it's the best way besides attaching a radio collar to y'all.

UPDATE 8/25: FACEBOOK APP SUCKS. The best way to get updates is to follow the Twitter feed @BWBers or to text me directly.

Twitter: @BWBers

FB: https://www.facebook.com/bwbfanclub

I've started up a volunteer thread for the parties. Our parties are volunteer-run, so to make the best party experience for everyone, please consider volunteering for a task during one (or both) of the parties. We will not make you work all night, promise. And a hearty thank-you to those fine folk who have already volunteered. As soon as I know which room numbers we'll have for the parties, I will update this OP.

UPDATE 8/24: Please carve out some time to volunteer for LoneStarCon3. You can work the info booth, in program ops, at the art show, etc. If you arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday, please consider helping set up! You can sign up for volunteering through the LSC3 website, or when you get to San Antonio.

BWB Meet&Greet. This is a great way to put some names and faces together, get the latest information on the party situation and, if you ordered them, pay for and pick up your t-shirt.

UPDATE 8/25: WE HAS A ROOM&TIME.

Meet&Greet will start at 16:00 in Room 008B in the Convention Center on Thursday.

Regarding the quest and knightings. We do not have quests and knightings anymore. Those who are new, have no fear. We will not leave you friendless. Henceforth, anyone who is attending their first WorldCon is automatically inducted into a new Free Company; men and women unencumbered by the weight of feudal tradition! The name of your company will be announced at the Friday party.

Party Donation: To defray the cost of renting the suite and buying nibbles and drink, we request that every BWBer attending the party chip in a set amount. My Master of Coin (Fenryng) and I are still hashing out that number, but it will be US$30-$35 range. That's a pretty small amount for two days of party, especially with Mr. X behind the bar serving Randyll Tarly shots. (Non-drinkers, have no fear. We will have plenty of non-alcoholic offerings available as well.) Fenryng is the best person to whom to give your donation. That said, if you can't find him, Mr. X and I will also be happy to take it and pass it along to Fenryng at the first opportunity.

Raffle: Yes, we're having one on Saturday night. And we will have some nifty stuff on offer. Parris also made some killer buttons and ribbons. Some of those items will require a small donation -- the proceeds from which will be given out to a couple of different charities.

Information for those traveling from other countries (this is from Sophelia's experience last year):

For people travelling into the US from elsewhere in the world who don't need a visa, things have changed since I last travelled to the US, so just in case anyone else didn't realise:

You need to fill in an online visa waiver form (and pay for it), 72 hours before you travel. 99.5% of applicants are approved within 12 hours and that it does accommodate last minute requests...

https://esta.cbp.dhs...pplication.html

P.S. This is equivalent to those little forms you used to have to fill in on the plane, asking you to declare if you are a spy or a terrorist. Or have been convicted of 'moral turpitude'. Nothing about cows this time though.

I am so stoked for WorldCon this year. I see lots of new people in the list (if you haven't RSVP'd please do so in the LoneStarCon Headcount thread!) and I am very much looking forward to seeing all of you. :)

Wait, why are we supposed to be feeling shame already?! The con and all it's shenanigans haven't even started yet, so it seems a little early for shame (or hangovers, con fatigue, or any of that).

;-)

I have no shame. And my first WC was long before GRRM started writing the books, so I'm not even eligible for the Free Companies, though I did advise the Questers of the Burnt Ends. Woe is me! Whatever shall I do? Oh, I know! :cheers:

Fantastic!! Will the room be at Riverwalk or Rivercenter? I wish those darn hotels would have more discernible names for oldsters like me who can't remember which River they are staying in.

Archived