Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

Varys came to King's Landing while Tywin was hand (I think? Certainly while Aerys was king). After Tywin came a succession (4) of relatively short-lived handships, then Jon Arryn and finally Ned. I think it's most likely aimed at Tywin, yes, but it's not conclusive.

It's not 100%, but I think it's as clear as it's gonna get. There's also this little exchange:

“I killed Shae too,” he confessed to Varys.

“You knew what she was.”

“I did. But I never knew what he was.”

Varys tittered. “And now you do.”

In AGOT, when Arya is chasing cats in the Red Keep she sees two men,(one is Varys and the other Illyrio) and here is a description of Varys..

A round scarred face and a stubble of dark beard showed under his steel cap, and he wore mail over boiled leather, and a dirk and shortsword at his belt.

Does Varys have scars on his face? Or is it a disguise?

In AGOT, when Arya is chasing cats in the Red Keep she sees two men,(one is Varys and the other Illyrio) and here is a description of Varys..

Most likely a disguise so no one will recognize him. And he was a mummer.

It's his "Rugen the undergoaler" disguise.

How many ships does Euron command? There's one part when the shield islands were just attacked where Margery is all like "1,000 ships! we must respond." or s/t like that. is that accurate? cuz cersci seemed skeptical. do we know the exact numbers?

We don't know the exact numbers, but Euron could easily have 1,000 ships under his command. Just keep in mind they're relatively small longships, not like the big ones that fought at the Blackwater.

We don't know the exact numbers, but Euron could easily have 1,000 ships under his command. Just keep in mind they're relatively small longships, not like the big ones that fought at the Blackwater.

The wiki says the Iron Fleet that Vic commands number 100. But by the end of ADWD that number dwindled down to the 60's. But there are also other ships not considered part of the Iron Fleet, like personal ships. Asha's, Euron's and other personal ships. But one could assume that all of those are in fact under Euron's command with him beinr 'king'.

We know Varys kept a network or birds - small children taught to sneak through the walls and secret passages, memorize information and write it down. Question is - after Varys dissapeared and Qyburn took over his position, how did Qyburn know where to find and recruit Varys' birds?

We know Varys kept a network or birds - small children taught to sneak through the walls and secret passages, memorize information and write it down. Question is - after Varys dissapeared and Qyburn took over his position, how did Qyburn know where to find and recruit Varys' birds?

I don't think he uses the same "birds" as Varys,It's probably LF's former force he uses.

But if he does use the "Little Birds",It's possible they presented themselves to him.

Just as small theory,These Little Birds could be still working for Varys.

Either he hasn't found them, or as Morienthar say, they're still working for Varys. I think the former is more likely, as in the epilogue of ADwD we see them still working for Varys.

Varys is Qyburn

Seems difficult since Qyburn entered the plot before Varys disappeared, but in the Riverlands. Varys may be able to be two persons at once, but not be in two places at once.

As for the spies, Cersei thinks Qyburn has taken Varys's spies over:

"Once the queen let it become known that Qyburn had taken the eunuch’s place, the usual vermin had wasted no time in making themselves known to him, to trade their whispers for a few coins. It was the silver all along, not the Spider." (AFFC)

But as we know (or can at least guess), this is no accurate description of Varys's actual birds (i.e. the mute children). So it seems likely that Qyburn only snatched up some second rate standard informers, nothing more (which goes along with what Morienthar said).

Seems difficult since Qyburn entered the plot before Varys disappeared, but in the Riverlands. Varys may be able to be two persons at once, but not be in two places at once.

As for the spies, Cersei thinks Qyburn has taken Varys's spies over:

"Once the queen let it become known that Qyburn had taken the eunuch’s place, the usual vermin had wasted no time in making themselves known to him, to trade their whispers for a few coins. It was the silver all along, not the Spider." (AFFC)

But as we know (or can at least guess), this is no accurate description of Varys's actual birds (i.e. the mute children). So it seems likely that Qyburn only snatched up some second rate standard informers, nothing more (which goes along with what Morienthar said).

Varys does everything he can for the sweet orphans in his service. Im sure he sees to their every need until their deaths. Of course they still work for him.

Did Davos have a link to Stannis, Storm's End or the rebel forces when he smuggled the onions in? We've heard a lot about the events, but I'm a little unclear on his motivations. It's obvious it was an extremely dangerous move, was he hoping for reward?

During Robert's rebellion, what brought a simple smuggler like Davos to take sides in the war by helping Stannis and the starving garrison at Storm's End?

(George laughs) Because he had onions! And so he thought to himself: "Where can I sell these at the best price? If I take them to King's Landing they'll pay me the price of onions, but i I take them to people duing of hunger they'd certainly pay me better."

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

How "common knowledge" are the Faceless Men? (I know that's really not grammatically correct.) I'm sure the smallfolk don't know or care about much beyond their lives/lands/families, but what about rich or noble houses? How do they view the Faceless Men? How much do they know about them?

Archived