Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

There has to be some catch, or she just would have lined up all the men at Dragonstone after the Blackwater and sent out an army of shadow's to kill everyone Stannis needed dead. I'm guessing it takes a huge toll on her as well as the man.

Now that would put ASOIAF in a whole 'nother genre. Maybe HBO will go in that direction.

I guess, but I would think she would have sent one with or ahead of Stannis if that was her intention. It's also possible that Winterfell has the same kinda spells woven into it's walls that prevented her from sending one into Storm's End. There has to be some catch, or she just would have lined up all the men at Dragonstone after the Blackwater and sent out an army of shadow's to kill everyone Stannis needed dead. I'm guessing it takes a huge toll on her as well as the man.

She said in her pov about how it takes a huge effort to do any magic, but she tries to make it look effortless. So I guess you're right about the "huge toll".

Wasn't she lookin to bang Jon?

Jon Chapter 6:
"Your Wall is a queer place, but there is power here, if you will use it. Power in you, and in this beast. You resist it, and that is your mistake. Embrace it. Use it."

I am not a wolf, he thought. "And how would I do that?"

"I can show you." Melisandre draped one slender arm over Ghost, and the direwolf licked her face. "The Lord of Light in his wisdom made us male and female, two parts of a greater whole. In our joining there is power. Power to make life. Power to make light. Power to cast shadows."

"Shadows." The world seemed darker when he said it.

I don't know about you but I take this as Mel's invitation to Jon for them to make shadowbabies. Thank the gawds Jon doesn't want to father bastards.

ETA:

She said in her pov about how it takes a huge effort to do any magic, but she tries to make it look effortless. So I guess you're right about the "huge toll".

It's true. She was even thankful Jon's men shot arrows at Rattleshirt who she glamored as Mance coz her ruby at her throat had grown very hot - Jon delivered her from agony.

That might have had nothing to do with making shadowbabies. I mean where would she even send one at that point in time?

oh hey I stumbled across the answer to my own question:

Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.

So she actually thinks of unleashing multiple shadows to fight the others. Interesting!

When King Robert travelled to Winterfell in GoT, why didn't Ser Barristan travel with him, as he was LC of the Kingsguard?

Ser Boros was there, as was Ser Meryn, and of course Jaime Lannister, but not Ser Barristan. What kept him in Kings Landing?

When King Robert travelled to Winterfell in GoT, why didn't Ser Barristan travel with him, as he was LC of the Kingsguard?

Ser Boros was there, as was Ser Meryn, and of course Jaime Lannister, but not Ser Barristan. What kept him in Kings Landing?

I'm assuming not all the royals were there, did Tommen and Mycella go? Though I agree it's odd the commander wasn't there as I can't see it serving any purpose, in fact it could have introduced us to a significant character.

I'm assuming not all the royals were there, did Tommen and Mycella go? Though I agree it's odd the commander wasn't there as I can't see it serving any purpose, in fact it could have introduced us to a significant character.

Renly and Stannis and his immediate family were the only "royals" not there. Renly was in KL but Stannis had hightailed it back to DS. Are we sure all of the KG weren't there? I seem to recall Bran considering Ser Barristan.

Bran was disappointed that "Barristan the Bold" did not make the trip to Winterfell, and was excited to be able to see him when he arrived in Kings Landing with Ned, Sansa, and Arya (until, of course he was pushed off the tower).

Bran makes note that only two Kingsguard accompany King Robert, Ser Boros and Ser Meryn, and also states that Robb told him Jaime didn't count as Kingsguard because he was a kingslayer.....

The whole royal family was there, Robert, Cersei and all three children. What reason would ANY Kingsguard have to stay behind in Kings Landing?

Has ever been there any hint that Samwell Tarly actually got slimmer and stronger by staying into the Night Watch - over time?

He says in Feast he's now actually like an aurochs, his original night's watch nickname, he's strong where he was fat. So he's probably a lot more physically impressive than we imagine.

He says in Feast he's now actually like an aurochs, his original night's watch nickname, he's strong where he was fat. So he's probably a lot more physically impressive than we imagine.

Very nice, thanks to the both of you.

I really hope that this new side of Samwell will be noted by his surrounding peers and will be useful to safe the life of at least one of those that laughed at him. :-)

Or he was thinking about Myrcella as the "youngest" forgetting that Tommen had been born since then. I've done that' to friends kids before. Though I'm not sure if this is a memory mistake or intentional by GRRM

This is the actual quote:

"It will be good to see the children. The youngest was still sucking at the Lannister woman's teat the last time I saw him. He must be, what, five by now?"

"Prince Tommen is seven" she told him. "The same age as Bran"

Which sounds to me like Ned wasn't thinking of Myrcella.

And when Ned sees how much Robert has changed:

Ned had last seen the king nine years before during Balon Greyjoy's rebellion

So is this just a date oversight or did Ned see the royal family minus the king?

Bran was disappointed that "Barristan the Bold" did not make the trip to Winterfell, and was excited to be able to see him when he arrived in Kings Landing with Ned, Sansa, and Arya (until, of course he was pushed off the tower).

Bran makes note that only two Kingsguard accompany King Robert, Ser Boros and Ser Meryn, and also states that Robb told him Jaime didn't count as Kingsguard because he was a kingslayer.....

The whole royal family was there, Robert, Cersei and all three children. What reason would ANY Kingsguard have to stay behind in Kings Landing?

Barristan arrived at Darry together with Renly, so he might have been protecting him, but that seems quiet far fetched...

Um, the aourochs is Grem, not Sam.

So is this just a date oversight or did Ned see the royal family minus the king?

Maybe Tommen enjoyed the teat as much as Robert Arryn.

It all sounded like general "we're getting older. time goes quickly. " stuff folks say when they're seeing friends they haven't seen in years.

Possibly. Cersei and the children were unlikely to have been around during Greyjoy's Rebellion. I always felt that Ned and Cat had gone to KL to visit Jon and Lysa Arryn, since Catelyn also mentions having seen Sweetrobin (who is slightly younger than Bran and Tommen) as an infant. Maybe King Bob was hunting...

Perhaps because he was on the Small Council, he was left behind to help keep the country running smoothly.

Thanks for the clarification. I got nothing. Maybe you should start a thread.

Archived