Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

Stannis says he's seen a vision of a king being consumed by a burning crown. Is he seeing a vision of Viserys dying? Or has there been some discussion previously on here of other possible explanations?

My guess is it's him and he fears that his service to R'hllor will consume him. I've not read any speculation on the topic though.

I'm remembering a small story but I can't remember in which book it was told: When the Baratheon brothers were little they visited KL and were impressed by the king. Later they were told it was Tywin they saw. Where was that mentioned in the books? Or this is even maybe from the show?

I'm remembering a small story but I can't remember in which book it was told: When the Baratheon brothers were little they visited KL and were impressed by the king. Later they were told it was Tywin they saw. Where was that mentioned in the books? Or this is even maybe from the show?

One of Davos's chapters in the third book:

“It would be a wondrous thing to see stone come to life,” he admitted, grudging. “And to mount a dragon... I remember the first time my father took me to court, Robert had to hold my hand. I could not have been older than four, which would have made him five or six. We agreed afterward that the king had been as noble as the dragons were fearsome.” Stannis snorted. “Years later, our father told us that Aerys had cut himself on the throne that morning, so his Hand had taken his place. It was Tywin Lannister who’d so impressed us.”

It's from one of Davos's POVs in Storm. I think the last one.

If Roose knows Robb legitimizes Jon and made him his heir, it would make sense for Ramsay to insult Jon on his bastard letter (if he indeed wrote it) calling him bastard several times and proclaim himself Trueborn Lord of Winterfell.

It sounds like he thinks Jon knows about the will. To me anyway.

Did the Starks take sides during any of the Blackfyre Rebellions?

Maybe they were busy with the Ironborn at the time. I know during MK they are hiring Hedge Knights to help them, maybe that kept them away from it all.

Why fight on either side if you can avoid it? I think the North is traditionally quite isolationist, it has that geological ability to be, and people have spoke of Lord Rickard's "southron marriage plans" in a way that implies they were unusual. My guess is the Stark lord at the time said "bugger that southern political crap, we'll just keep going as usual".

In aDwD, Maester Aemon asks Jon to read a passage from the Jade Compendium. In that passage it states that once Azor Ahai fought a monster, and when he stabbed the monster with his sword, the monster's blood boiled, and it finally burst into flames. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jade_Compendium

When I read it, I believed the monster referred to was a dragon. I just don't think the monster here was an Other.

What do you think the monster is?

In aDwD, Maester Aemon asks Jon to read a passage from the Jade Compendium. In that passage it states that once Azor Ahai fought a monster, and when he stabbed the monster with his sword, the monster's blood boiled, and it finally burst into flames. http://awoiaf.wester...Jade_Compendium

When I read it, I believed the monster referred to was a dragon. I just don't think the monster here was an Other.

I have no idea, and you have to remember these anchient stories will be riddled with mistakes and hyperbole.

But I don't think it's a dragon on account of 'fire can not kill a dragon' and all that. Given the emphasis in the legend of AA's sword being hot and flaming, and the monster melting, I say no dragon.

An Other, or maybe one of their giant ice spiders would be my complete guess.

In aDwD, Maester Aemon asks Jon to read a passage from the Jade Compendium. In that passage it states that once Azor Ahai fought a monster, and when he stabbed the monster with his sword, the monster's blood boiled, and it finally burst into flames. http://awoiaf.wester...Jade_Compendium

I know it's pretty unlikely, but with all the talk of the Others having snow bears and ice spiders, what if they had a reanimated dragon? That'd be so freakin' cool.

Were people prophetic flame readers before the birth of the dragons?

I mean, they must have been, because it takes years to learn it, right? But is there any evidence of it in use pre dragons?

I'm not sure when Mel going to Stannis fits in with the timeline.

I mean, they must have been, because it takes years to learn it, right? But is there any evidence of it in use pre dragons?

She apparently went to DS sometime after LF was appointed to MofC since LF recalls getting the report from Varys. Stannis would have been living in KL but he left Selyse out on DS. Stannis didn't move back (he only visited a couple times a year) until Jon Arryn was murdered.

There's the guy who cut Varys.

How come Jon Arryn didn't, or have Vardis Egen, kick LF's ass for so openly bragging about taking Lysa's (and Cat's) maidenhead? Or was that just a boast he only shared with the three Lannister siblings? Was there evidence that anybody else knew about it before Jon's murder?

Yeah, for example Melisandre seems to think she's the best at it among the devotees of R'hllor for some reason:

but seeing was never as simple as those words suggested. It was an art, and like all arts it demanded mastery, discipline, study. Pain. That too. R’hllor spoke to his chosen ones through blessed fire, in a language of ash and cinder and twisting flame that only a god could truly grasp. Melisandre had practiced her art for years beyond count, and

she had paid the price. There was no one, even in her order, who had her skill at seeing the secrets half-revealed and half-concealed within the sacred flames.

I'd say Bennaro and Moqorro are clearly better at it then her, but maybe their powers increased with the birth of the dragons, or maybe Melisandre has never been to volantis and was speaking only of the red priests in Ashaai.

Archived