Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

If the faceman we met with Arya, is now Pate in Oldtown. And Euron hired a faceless man to kill Baelor. Who was the faceless man that killed Lord Greyjoy? Is the second FM still in Westeros?

Arya's POV chapter, during which she observed a group of FM at a meeting, was the target Lord Greyjoy? Does anyone remember how she described the FM that took the target?

I'd say Bennaro and Moqorro are clearly better at it then her, but maybe their powers increased with the birth of the dragons, or maybe Melisandre has never been to volantis and was speaking only of the red priests in Ashaai.

I wonder if Moqorro's readings will become clearer/more powerful once he's closer to the Dragons?

If the faceman we met with Arya, is now Pate in Oldtown. And Euron hired a faceless man to kill Baelor. Who was the faceless man that killed Lord Greyjoy? Is the second FM still in Westeros?

Arya's POV chapter, during which she observed a group of FM at a meeting, was the target Lord Greyjoy? Does anyone remember how she described the FM that took the target?

It could be the same one, or a different one. I'm not sure if Jaqen would've had enough time to return to Braavos and then be sent back to kill Balon, personally I'd say a different FM is more likely. In the meeting I think it would be a different target being discussed; although the timeframe is a little messy, by then I'm pretty sure Balon had been dead for a while. As for the description of the FM in the meeting - :dunno:

We don't get the description of FM who killed Balon. All we know that Balon fell of a bridge and Ghost of a High heart had a vision linking crow and man without a face with Balon's death. Moreover, nobody even knows that Balon was assassinated, much less the identity of description of his murdered.

Likewise, we can't know if Balon's FM is still in Westeros or not.

IIRC, Arya was instructed not to listen at anything at the meeting. She noted she understood every tenth word spoken at the meeting, and those she understood - she ignored them as instructed.

It was no one. Truly. All we know is that he did not know Balon.

How many times is herring served in ASOIAF? And if it's only a few times, when is it served? I just noticed that Illyrio served it to Tyrion in Pentos before taking him to Aegon.

Manderly brings some from White Harbor, Daeron Eats it with the whores, and Tyrion has it with Illyrio. The word only appears nine times in the novels.

Thanks Mindchap. A red herring is used to lead readers in the wrong direction as when a seemingly good guy is really a bad guy. I'm pretty sure the elements of smoke and salt, which are used to prepare herring, were included in the PTWP prophecy to hint at a misdirection, of which there have been a few. In the Tyrion-Illyrio dinner the herring could be another hint that Aegon is not the son of Rhaegar, but a dragon nonetheless. If so than the other two servings should hint at some misdirection. Perhaps Darron's herrings hint at the Sailor's wife being Tysha. What would Manderly's hint at? The Frey pies? The pink letter? Or maybe I'm just making stuff up on a Friday afternoon?

Is there any evidence of valyrian stel used in defence gears. I heard of swords, knives an even celtigars axe, but not shields or armors.... Is there a why?

Not that I know of.

Presumably it's the volume of the stuff needed to make something bigger than a sword or axe head.

Is there any evidence of valyrian stel used in defence gears. I heard of swords, knives an even celtigars axe, but not shields or armors.... Is there a why?

No there is no mention of any Valyrian steel armor. It could be because of some kinda cost/benefit thing. The main virtues of Valyrian steel are that it's light and never loses an edge. While the light weight would be an advantage the edge holding wouldn't matter. Someone probably worked out pretty early on that if you had enough Valyrian steel for one suit of armor or ten swords, the swords were the way to go. It's possible that some of the ruling families of Valyria might have been wealthy enough to afford such armors, and they were lost in the doom. Some may have even survived only to be melted down and reforged into swords.

Just speculation but perhaps there were some in old Valyria, they just never took off in Westeros because most of your enemies are going to be equipped with steel so whoever has the Valyrian weapons are pretty much top of the food chain. Also as RumHam said you can probably get more swords than armor for your money.

On a related note has anyone compiled a list of all the know Valyrian(Steel) items throughout the books?

Just speculation but perhaps there were some in old Valyria, they just never took off in Westeros because most of your enemies are going to be equipped with steel so whoever has the Valyrian weapons are pretty much top of the food chain. Also as RumHam said you can probably get more swords than armor for your money.

On a related note has anyone compiled a list of all the know Valyrian(Steel) items throughout the books?

I'm sure the wiki has something. I was surprised to learn that there were 400ish in the seven kingdoms alone. With numbers like that you'd think Tywin would have been able to buy one.

off the top of my head:

-Lady Forlorn

-Dark Sister

-Blackfyre

-Ice

-Nightfall

-Brightroar

-Longclaw

-Some dude's Valyrian Steel akrah.

Edit: how could I forget Heartsbane.

Relevant SSM:

[Note: For an example of Valyrian steel used for something other than a weapon, see the passing mention of Aegon the Conqueror's crown here]

How was Valyrian Steel thought of? Was it considered as precious before the Doom as it is "now"? Did they ever make non-weapons out of it (e.g. forks, jewelry, etc.)?

Valyrian steel was always costly, but it became considerably more so when there was no more Valyria, and the secret of its making were lost.

Mostly it was used for weapons, but there are undoubtedly a few items like those you mention floating about.

I'm sure the wiki has something. I was surprised to learn that there were 400ish in the seven kingdoms alone. With numbers like that you'd think Tywin would have been able to buy one.

off the top of my head:

-Lady Forlorn

-Dark Sister

-Blackfyre

-Ice

-Nightfall

-Brightroar

-Longclaw

-Some dude's Valyrian Steel akrah.

Edit: how could I forget Heartsbane.

Relevant SSM:

Thanks, I'll add those to my list, I'm going through the ebooks searching now, I'm trying to find everything.

Archived