Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

Yes it was, it was only after the Rhoynar came, that they started using the Essos style Prince, as oppose to the Westeros style of King.

That was what, a thousand years before Aegon? My point was simply that if anyone ever said that Aegon didn't rule "the seven kingdoms" because of Dorne, it would not be unreasonable for him to say "Dorne is no kingdom, a prince does not rule a kingdom" or something to that effect. For clarity, when I said Dorne "could legitimately not be classed a kingdom" I meant by Aegon & House Targaryen.

Ah okey thanks that makes sense but it is still a bit weird that they refer to it as the seven kingdoms 300 years after aegons conquest. Most be quite confusing for the smallfolk that doesn't have any history knowledge.

There is such a nice parallel to the faith of Seven that it fits well. I believe that is one of the reasons they have struck to speaking of 7, instead of 8 or 9 kingdoms.

I noticed that this history is not very clear even to the show Tywin. I cannot recall the exact line, but I think he spoke of "5 rebelling kingdoms out of 7" when there actually was 4. Forgetting that Ironborn and Riverlands were actually the same. Or did he take Dorne or Vale as rebels?

I noticed that this history is not very clear even to the show Tywin. I cannot recall the exact line, but I think he spoke of "5 rebelling kingdoms out of 7" when there actually was 4. Forgetting that Ironborn and Riverlands were actually the same. Or did he take Dorne or Vale as rebels?

Hehe, yeah, I expect the show messed up a little bit there. Very easy mistake to make of course. Charitably speaking, maybe they can just claim that for them, Dorne wasn't one of the original 7 Kd, but Riverlands and II were different ones in the show canon.

There is such a nice parallel to the faith of Seven that it fits well. I believe that is one of the reasons they have struck to speaking of 7, instead of 8 or 9 kingdoms.

By the way, that happened even irl without the Faith of the Seven. The number of kingdoms in the heptarchy fluctuated, and they were nevertheless called that because it's easier not to change the name every time the number changes and 7 is a cool number.

Could Dany have lived at the Water Gardens prior to being on the run with her brother? Hiding amongst all the other children that played at the water gardens.

Hmm I think she would have remembered being around many other children.

But I can't rule out Dorne as a possible station before being shipped off across the Narrow Sea.

How did the Starks know that Lyanna was "abducted" by Rhaegar, and not (lets say) some wildling looking to steal a wife?

*shrugs* The details of the "abduction" are sketchy. We don't know exactly when it happened, we don't know how it happened and we don't know where it happened. We know Brandon heard about it while he was either at or on his way to Riverrun to meet Cat. We know he rode to KL, demanded to fight Rhaegar and was promptly arrested. We know that Lord Rickard was summoned to KL to answer for the "crimes" of his son & heir. We know he did so with (inexplicably) only 200(maybe 100, not sure) men. We know Lord Rickard was arrested & demanded trial by combat. We know he fought & lost to fire. We know Brandon strangled himself trying to save him. We know Aerys demanded the heads of Robert & Eddard from Jon Arryn. We know Jon raised his banners instead. We know a war was fought. We know Rhaegar fought bravely. We know Rhaegar fought valiantly. We know Rhaegar died. We know Ned found Lyanna in Dorne. We know he promised her something. We know she died. This is the extent of what we actually know about Lyanna's "abduction" & the fallout from it.

How did the Starks know that Lyanna was "abducted" by Rhaegar, and not (lets say) some wildling looking to steal a wife?

Probably because she was in the Riverlands at that point.

Possubly at the Whent residence,i.e Harrenhall.

whitch is the section where a thread "how does the tv show spoils future books" can be made?

Here I would spoil the readers.

There I would spoil the viewers.

I think it belongs on the show forums with the [book Spoilers] tag.

Hehe, yeah, I expect the show messed up a little bit there. Very easy mistake to make of course. Charitably speaking, maybe they can just claim that for them, Dorne wasn't one of the original 7 Kd, but Riverlands and II were different ones in the show canon.

Which makes the title "King of the Seven Kingdoms" a very arbitrary claim. :D

This is probably a stupid question but is there any chance that Septa Lemore had grayscale as a child?

A lot of her behavior seems to indicate that she doesn't worry about it like the others in the group. Bathing in the river (yes it was upstream where it was safer but I don't recall anyone else taking the chance), resuscitating Tyrion, giving him a big hug when he woke up even though the others wanted him to test himself thoroughly before anything else.

Yes, it was JonCon who pulled Tyrion out but Septa Lemore was the one to resuscitate him. It just seems a rather foolish risk to me, to chance two members of the small party catching a deadly disease.

I know Tyrion made no note of any gray patches on her, but if it wasn't in certain areas, he may not have noticed :) Or if a more mild case would leave less visible markers.

Like I said, probably a stupid question but one never knows.

This is probably a stupid question but is there any chance that Septa Lemore had grayscale as a child?

A lot of her behavior seems to indicate that she doesn't worry about it like the others in the group. Bathing in the river (yes it was upstream where it was safer but I don't recall anyone else taking the chance), resuscitating Tyrion, giving him a big hug when he woke up even though the others wanted him to test himself thoroughly before anything else.

Yes, it was JonCon who pulled Tyrion out but Septa Lemore was the one to resuscitate him. It just seems a rather foolish risk to me, to chance two members of the small party catching a deadly disease.

I know Tyrion made no note of any gray patches on her, but if it wasn't in certain areas, he may not have noticed :) Or if a more mild case would leave less visible markers.

Not stupid at all, this is really an interesting observation.

But I do think that it is not too likely, as he watched her disrobe every day for her morning swim, so Tyrion probably would've noticed.

It's not uncommon throughout history for religious disciples to commit selfless acts, often times it's what they do. It's some part of their faith usually. Not looking for a religious debate just pointing out it's been done before. Working with people who had Leprosy, the plague, aids, many many diseases.

Is it Lord Commanders or Lords Commander ?

Actually, I have no idea which is the correct one or whether even both work... but GRRM uses "lords commander": At the Wall, a dozen lords commander came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to counsel them. (AFFC, Sam talking about Aemon)

Archived