Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

Is Bowen Marsh technically a crannogman? I ask because I noticed that House Marsh is apparently in the Neck and is one of Howland Reed's bannermen. If so, what the Hell happened? Crannogmen are supposed to have mystical attunements, not count coppers on the Wall.

Given what we know of the places throughout asoiaf I think it's safe to assume that not all the people from the Neck are as good as House Reed for example, he could have been a good guy who made some mistake somewhere, or he could have just been an extra male in a family with too many heirs. I don't think there's anything in the text that says one way or the other, unless I've forgotten something..

Actually, I have no idea which is the correct one or whether even both work... but GRRM uses "lords commander": At the Wall, a dozen lords commander came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to counsel them. (AFFC, Sam talking about Aemon)

Gratitude. I knew it had been mentioned but I couldn't remember which book. :cheers:

GRRM also refers to the Lords Declarant. The word lord is always the one that is pluralized.

I'm not an english major or anything, but Lords is pluralized in Lords Declarant because Declarant is an adjective describing the Lords which is the noun. Same reason it's Attorneys General and not Attorney Generals. I'm not really sure with Lord Commander. I guess Commander could be an adjective describing that the lord commands, but I think it could also be a noun in which case it would be Lord Commanders.

Is Bowen Marsh technically a crannogman? I ask because I noticed that House Marsh is apparently in the Neck and is one of Howland Reed's bannermen. If so, what the Hell happened? Crannogmen are supposed to have mystical attunements, not count coppers on the Wall.

He's like the elf who wants to be a dentist, but he's actually gets to live the dream.

I thought it was South, at or near White Harbor. Its in the bay so have access to the West, and protect against attacks from the Mountain and Vale kingdom.

Access to the east, White Harbor is on the east coast. Brandon built his ships on the west coast where the sunset sea is. His son burnt the remainder of his ships when he never returned. Jon Stark built white harbor.

On the "Dunk lied" theme from the most recent locked thread = which caught me completely by surprise = I feel stupid now because he didnt have a knightly NAME when first challenged to identify himself. Ser Arlan would have given him a name when he knighted him. Smak Head and thanks for those who straightened me out.

This is a good catch. Marsh could be part of the GNC or working with Howland Reed.

Also crannogmen are known for poisons. Quite a few people have pointed out that Jon's wounds at the end of ADWD were not very deep. Could Jon not being able to draw his sword be a sign of a paralysing poison being used. Have there been any potions or poisons mentioned in the books which can put someone in a coma resembling death?

This is a good catch. Marsh could be part of the GNC or working with Howland Reed.

Also crannogmen are known for poisons. Quite a few people have pointed out that Jon's wounds at the end of ADWD were not very deep. Could Jon not being able to draw his sword be a sign of a paralysing poison being used. Have there been any potions or poisons mentioned in the books which can put someone in a coma resembling death?

How would Howland Reed or GNC benefit from Jon being stabbed? If Bowen Marsh is truly on their payroll, you'd expect him to help Jon and warn him about conspiracy against him.

I mean, paralyzing someone who's fighting for his life is one of worst things you can do. Even if Bowen's stab was shallow, later stabs were probably more deep because Jon was paralyzed and couldn't defend himself.

How would Howland Reed or GNC benefit from Jon being stabbed? If Bowen Marsh is truly on their payroll, you'd expect him to help Jon and warn him about conspiracy against him.

I mean, paralyzing someone who's fighting for his life is one of worst things you can do. Even if Bowen's stab was shallow, later stabs were probably more deep because Jon was paralyzed and couldn't defend himself.

No kidding, or else it's regicide.

Bowen Marsh has been warning Jon, specifically about wildlings. Most people read this as prejudice but if Mance wrote the pink letter the wildling threat to Jon may be real. Before he is stabbed Jon is about to leave the safety of the wall surrounded by an army of wildlings who he tricked and betrayed. Bowen Marsh knows that Jon wont listen to his warnings so removes him from the situation.

Jon couldn't draw his sword because his burnt hand had grown stiff. I've posted this before, but hey. It's some pretty juicy foreshadowing.

ACOK...

He began to flex

his hand, opening and closing the fingers. If he let his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy, it well might be the end of him, he knew. A man needed his sword

When he's stabbed...

Jon reached for Longclaw, but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy. Somehow he could not seem to get the sword free of its scabbard.

There's no reason, in my mind, to believe he's in a coma or paralyzed. He still feels cold, for one thing.

The maesters reside in the keeps/castles/towers only. The smallfolk are taken care of by septons and the like.

Fuck that. Elitist much? So if some poor Northern farmer had some kind of nasty threshing injury say and limped up to Winterfell then Maester Luwin would have been all:" Sorry peasant. I only heal the Starks." That's bollocks!

Fuck that. Elitist much? So if some poor Northern farmer had some kind of nasty threshing injury say and limped up to Winterfell then Maester Luwin would have been all:" Sorry peasant. I only heal the Starks." That's bollocks!

I love that you think the Westerosi poor would surely get better medical treatment than their

modern American equivalent! Also being outraged by elitism in a feudal society!

Luwin is a maester, not a doctor. He has lots of duties, and usually seems pretty busy. I know people see the Starks as perfect, but they still are feudal lords over people who have no rights and are just a small step above slaves. No way are they letting Luwin go around helping the poor when their kids need waiting on. The poor use wood witches and people like that who probably do more harm than good.

Archived