Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

Technically those were his vows to the Citadel, but I agree with the "no"

Remember Robb felt that the NW vows of one man could be overcome if they were offered sufficient exchange.

But interestingly he felt that it was still the NW that would decide the matter.

This has been something I tend to nitpick over a lot...during Tywin's rule as Hand under Aerys, I assume he spent most of his time in King's Landing. In the 8-9 years before Tyrion was born when Jaime and Cercei were growing up, did Joanna Lannister live at Casterly Rock so she could stay with the twins? I assume so. I like to say Tywin visitied home once a year to see his family. Before the twins were born Joanna lived with Tywin in the Tower of the Hand in the first couple years of his rule as Hand. What does everybody else think? Also it says on the wiki Tytos dies in 267, Tywin was born in 244, he was 20 when he became hand, so Twyin's father was still alive when he became Hand. After Tytos' heart burst Twyin must have taken a trip back home to take care of the business with his father's lover. That would be annoying going back and forth between King's Landing and Casterly Rock a lot, but at least it isn't as far as Winterfell.

If Maester Aemon broke his vows to become a king, would the Night's Watch still come and kill him despite being a king?

The penalty for desertion is death, but I don't think the Night's Watch sends out execution squads to track down deserters.

For special circumstances, the men can be released from the Watch.

In the "I'm sure sensible men can always come to an arrangement for special circumstances" sense or in the "there's a rule or precedence for that" sense? Cause in the latter case, the Watch would loose a lot of its appeal as way to get rid of people for good.

But interestingly he felt that it was still the NW that would decide the matter.

Yeah but Stannis didn't think the NW needed to decide the Matter and the person who would decide the matter is the LC or the King or both. The Night's Watch may have it's Vows but they are also pragmatic. And Vows are Vows weather it's the Citadel or the Watch.

The real question is can a person be released from a verbal contract?

Why does Hodor say nothing but Hodor?

I mean, is there a physical, neurological, or psychological condition that could explain this? In real life, are there any patients who can only say one word? Or is it more likely that there's some sort of magical curse type thing going on, the same way that Patchface can't say anything unless in it's in the form of a creepy prophetic rhyme.

Yeah but Stannis didn't think the NW needed to decide the Matter and the person who would decide the matter is the LC or the King or both. The Night's Watch may have it's Vows but they are also pragmatic. And Vows are Vows weather it's the Citadel or the Watch.

The real question is can a person be released from a verbal contract?

You don't know that. Say Janos had become LC & Jon had accepted the offer from Stannis. Janos would have strongly protested Jon's release. Of course Stannis would have forced the issue but as far as the recognized government in KL was concerned the kingly proclamation and order from Stannis would have been null and Jon Snow would have been declared a deserter. The question of taking WF from Ramsay would remain. The legitimacy of the actions would have depended on the outcome of the war.

Tywin thinks he can bribe the old High Septon into voiding Jamie's Kingsguard oath. The same may be possible for a man of the Night's Watch who took his oath at the Sept. I dunno who if anyone could release someone like Jon or Sam who said the vows to a weirwood. I don't think there are any examples of a man leaving the Nights Watch as anything other than a deserter.

Let me put it this way say I am King Robb back when he was alive.

Robb: Dear Lord Commander Mormont (who is the first and last law of the watch) I would like you to release my brother Jon Snow from his Vow so he may attend my army and fight along side me in avenging our father. Jon said he would also Like Sam Tarlly released to accompany him as his personal steward. I know this is a difficult matter for you and the Brothers to decide and would hope you ackowledge my families long line of distinguished service to the wall.

In recompence I am sending 100 stalwart men at arms, 4 stone masons, 2 Smiths, 4 sworn knights of house Manderly, an Umber, 200 hundred prisoners of war including 10 hedge knights, 3 more smiths, and 5 stone masons, who have offered to take the black in exchange for their release, 20 horses, 10 oxen, 2 cows, 40 chickes, 100 bags of feed corn, 10 Barrels of Ale, 1 case of arbor gold, 20 Ash handled spears, 50 castle forged swords from Winterfell, 10 Lannister crossbows, 10 Suits of chain mail, 100 new Bear pelts, 4 barrels of fresh apples, 10,000 gold, 20,000 silver pieces, 20 barrels of oil, you may keep the two cogs we are shipping them to you on from white Harbor, and a Partridge in a pear tree.

Yes I sent Maege your sister to deliver this letter cause I am that nice.

What is Mormont going to say? You think Bowen would be upset?

In the current situation it comes down to Jon making the choice. Actualyl it comes down to Jon survivng, but you get the idea.

What happens to Varys's "little birds" when they grow up?

No one knows really. I suspect they may have their throats slit because they know a dangerous amount of important information and secrets. Either that or they'll be shipped back across to Essos.

Why does Hodor say nothing but Hodor?

I mean, is there a physical, neurological, or psychological condition that could explain this? In real life, are there any patients who can only say one word? Or is it more likely that there's some sort of magical curse type thing going on, the same way that Patchface can't say anything unless in it's in the form of a creepy prophetic rhyme.

I think it's a neurological thing, either he's a simpleton or he suffered brain damage when he was very young. I don't think it's magical.

Archived