Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

Only fighters are knighted, right? He could be the best blacksmith or cook or trader in history, but that doesn't make him a knight.

Not really I think it has more to do with circumstances,It can at times be given as an honour,Like in the case of Davos.

Not really I think it has more to do with circumstances,It can at times be given as an honour,Like in the case of Davos.

Anyone can be Knighted all you need is a Knight and to say some words. It's just most of the time the people getting Knighted, want to be Knights so they genereally has some martial qualities.

The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses.

from aDwD

Many assume that the problem with the marriage was that Jenny was a commoner. Is there any support in the text or elsewhere in the canon to support the "Jenny was a commoner" claim, or is the reason for the unhappiness with the marriage unknown? (Other than it wasn't the marriage Aegon V might have arrainged for Duncan- a political issue.)

from aDwD

Many assume that the problem with the marriage was that Jenny was a commoner. Is there any support in the text or elsewhere in the canon to support the "Jenny was a commoner" claim, or is the reason for the unhappiness with the marriage unknown? (Other than it wasn't the marriage Aegon V might have arrainged for Duncan- a political issue.)

Well it is also stated Duncan went against his fathers wishes when he married her. We don't know much about Jenny of Oldstones. However I can tell you about her home, Oldstones. It's an ancient castle ruin in the river lands and was ruled by house Mudd. It was the local small folk that gave it the name Oldstones, suggesting she is one of the small folk from that area as nobody lives at Oldstones. It's also the spot where Robb talked about naming Jon his heir and mentions the flowers in her hair. Seems that could of been a hint that Jenny and Ducan may has a similar Theme of sorts to Rhaegar and Lyanna but who knows and that wasn't really your question.

But given the fact that she is from that area and is refered to as Jenny of Oldstones a name the small folk use. Seems more than likely she is commoner. That''s a commoner name and she is never refered to as lady this or that.

was davos a fierce fighter?

Maybe not, but he can still swing a sword even with his missing finger bones. Plus he commanded a ship at the Battle of Blackwater and probably during the Greyjoy Rebellion. While they sometimes give the title of Lord to people like Varys who don't hold land, I can't think of any examples of anyone being knighted as an honor only. Some who were Knighted and then crippled and left unable to fight, but none who were knighted with no expectation of them ever picking up a sword. They do it all the time in the real world, but I can't think of any example from the books.

mindchap,

So Ten years, two month (moon turns)?, and sixteen days at the fifth of february 299. Making it nearly nine years, just as Mormont tells Tyrion in Game.

Lost Melnibonean, yes!

So a long winter lasts probably three years. The second longest Summer is mentioned by Pycelle to the Ned, King Maekar´s summer lasted seven years and was hotter.

ETA additional info.

Don't forget Tyrion is 26. Take away nine years for the current summer and that means seasonal rotation for the preceding 17 years was an average of 1.9 years.

But given the fact that she is from that area and is refered to as Jenny of Oldstones a name the small folk use. Seems more than likely she is commoner. That''s a commoner name and she is never refered to as lady this or that.

Thanks for the reply. I have a possible different explanation, but I don't have the electronic version of the books and couldn't search efficiently. (I searched the forums and SSM.) I'll post tomorrow in General. Still tweaking grammar.

(Barristan refers to her as Lady Jenny, but that's after she and Duncan marry, so it may not apply before the marriage.)

Thanks for the reply. I have a possible different explanation, but I don't have the electronic version of the books and couldn't search efficiently. (I searched the forums and SSM.) I'll post tomorrow in General. Still tweaking grammar.

(Barristan refers to her as Lady Jenny, but that's after she and Duncan marry, so it may not apply before the marriage.)

That's Barristan for you.

Maybe not, but he can still swing a sword even with his missing finger bones. Plus he commanded a ship at the Battle of Blackwater and probably during the Greyjoy Rebellion. While they sometimes give the title of Lord to people like Varys who don't hold land, I can't think of any examples of anyone being knighted as an honor only. Some who were Knighted and then crippled and left unable to fight, but none who were knighted with no expectation of them ever picking up a sword. They do it all the time in the real world, but I can't think of any example from the books.

anyway he fought in several battles during RR and it was later in greyjoy rebelion when he lost his arm. It is still very strange he was never knighted by bob or stannis.

Don't forget Tyrion is 26. Take away nine years for the current summer and that means seasonal rotation for the preceding 17 years was an average of 1.9 years.

So out of the younger characters, Theon is probably the only one who can really remember it, while Robb, Jon, and Dany would only have vague recollections, right? Sansa shouldn't be able to remember being two and the rest are younger than her.

Does Hizdahr know Dany was sleeping with Daario before and after their marriage? Not that he could say anything about it, but it'd be pretty funny if he knew

I don't think they slept together after the wedding did they? Anyway it seemed to be a pretty open secret.

If SR and Harry the heir dies, do the Cadet branch of the Arryns ( Baelish's friends in Gulltown) inherit the Eyrie?

We don't know that. There are many of Arryn branch houses in the Vale, and we don't know which one of them is closest to main branch. Anyhow, next in line after Harry the Heir will probably be some other cousin of the main branch, much line Catelyn suggested Royce cousin to be named Robb's heir.

Will we ever find out what Sam was trying to tell Jon about the NW commanders (because that would cause too many problems with overall timeline?)

Well, that's for GRRM to answer :P. If he wants us to know, he'll tell us via books or SSM. Until then, we can only guess.

I don't think they slept together after the wedding did they? Anyway it seemed to be a pretty open secret.

Right on both counts. Two days before her wedding, Dany tells Daario this night and the next is all they have left - which indicates she had no intention of continuing this affair after she's married. And it was open secret mostly thanks to Daario himself, who kissed Dany in the public and publicly boasted about bedding her.

Archived