NFL 2013 Preseason: When it almost counts

DanteGabriel

I don't think Swearinger's hit should be fined either. I think neither hit should be. If you're fining for both hits, defensive players have nowhere left to hit.

I agree, but if they were going to fine one of those two hits you'd think the one that actually ended the season (and maybe career) for a guy would be the one they target rather than the textbook hit Bostic had.

But yeah, the rules on defensive hits have started moving ludicrous territory.

Even where the NFL is right in trying to eliminate hits to the head, they're seemingly mindless about the way they enforce it. The league office is quite clear on record that if it's a blow to the end only because the offensive player ducks his head at the last moment, the defensive player is still going to be fined the same. What the fuck do they think this is, the Matrix? They can't stop time if the offensive player does something unexpected.

Yeah, this is pretty terrible. It seems like the NFL wants to see to it that defensive players do not lead with their helmet to tackle recievers or qbs (running backs and return men is still ok). Because if you are tackling with your helmet (or as coaches like to call it "tackling correctly") then there is always going to be the possibility that the offensive player ducks and there's a helmet to helmet hit.

In addition, I was watching a preseason game that Gruden was commentating, and I actually thought he made a great point, which is that quarterbacks need to take some responsibility for big hits. Always before in the NFL, if you go over the middle and the qb throws it to you, you are going to get hit hard. That was the understanding that came with the game - the middle is a difficult place to catch the ball because a big hit is coming. If the quarterback throws to a route that has a safety right at the end of it, what do you think is going to happen? Why is it on the safety to tackle, but not too hard, because that is a fine? Maybe the qb should be fined for stringing his guy out and letting him get lit up. Maybe there would be fewer injuries that way, and at least it would be a bit clearer who's responsibility it is to avoid huge hits. Plus, qbs can afford it. If it's a big game, maybe they decide to just pay the fine, but that's their decision to make.

Obviously the NFL would never actually do that, but it makes just about as much sense as the current "rules".

Also, just because I like bitching, I would like to note that I am pissed that the Broncos are going to play the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants without Von Miller, but then play the Redskins in week 8. Not cool man.

Also, just because I like bitching, I would like to note that I am pissed that the Broncos are going to play the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants without Von Miller, but then play the Redskins in week 8. Not cool man.

Dude! Totally noticed this too. So the dude playing at a DPOY level will be back only to chase around the NFC East QB with the reconstructed knee but not the other three Axis of Evil QBs. Y'screwed us NFL!

Oh please oh please oh please...

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/2013/08/21/google-and-nfl-meet-sunday-ticket-for-grabs/QNj9I6YYhZZMYsBTg3uqbP/story.html

(Google may be trying to break into DirecTV's monopoly on Sunday Ticket, or at least become the new monopoly themselves)

I am surprised that quite a few of you think Rams are not any good. They went undefeated against their division opponent last year. They have a great D. The Offense has all the pieces now to compete with the bog boys. I think they have the potential to be the second best team in the division. Based on what I have seen of Bradford in the preseason (I know, laugh away :P ) he will be good this year, mark my words. He looked like the player I saw at college level. He has some weapons. Don't sleep on Chris Givens @ the WR position.

Kurt Warner cursed the team. It is known. Now stop wasting your breath on the Rams, and talk Colts with me.

:laugh:

We are in great shape. Luck will be awesome.

Must say I am a bit concerned with Fleener. :( I had really expected big things from him.

:laugh:

We are in great shape. Luck will be awesome.

Must say I am a bit concerned with Fleener. :( I had really expected big things from him.

I concur. I was sooooo excited when Coby Fleener was drafted at the outset of the 2nd round, and he's got all the physical tools; big, fast, strong. But he just seems injury prone and I don't know if he's as crazy about the game as Dwayne Allen... Anyways, what are your thoughts on T.Y.? Kid's been ballin' out the last few weeks.

I concur. I was sooooo excited when Coby Fleener was drafted at the outset of the 2nd round, and he's got all the physical tools; big, fast, strong. But he just seems injury prone and I don't know if he's as crazy about the game as Dwayne Allen... Anyways, what are your thoughts on T.Y.? Kid's been ballin' out the last few weeks.

TY looks like the real deal. He seems to have developed quite a good chemistry with Luck. He could develop into a true number 1 WR by the end of the season. If Reggie does not decline too much, the passing attack will be quite potent. Not so sure about "no hands" DHB.

TY looks like the real deal. He seems to have developed quite a good chemistry with Luck. He could develop into a true number 1 WR by the end of the season. If Reggie does not decline too much, the passing attack will be quite potent. Not so sure about "no hands" DHB.

I was hoping that a competent QB and decent coaching would make DHB into a decent player, but it doesn't look that way :( And now we just traded Delone Carter for some halfwit from the Ravens... I forsee many single-back sets with 2 TE's and 2 WR's.

I was hoping that a competent QB and decent coaching would make DHB into a decent player, but it doesn't look that way :( And now we just traded Delone Carter for some halfwit from the Ravens... I forsee many single-back sets with 2 TE's and 2 WR's.

Apparently the guy we got from the Ravens :"has five career receptions for 66 yards over three years". I mean why would you not trade for him, right? :bang:

Apparently the guy we got from the Ravens :"has five career receptions for 66 yards over three years". I mean why would you not trade for him, right? :bang:

Don't get me wrong, Delone Carter isn't exactly a world-beater (watching him as the feature-back in 2011 just added to the misery), but he's worth more than 5 catches for 66 yards... I mean, even DHB is better than that! Fuck, if we need a WR that bad, I'm available. I run like a 6.66 40.

Archived