Melisandre will burn Stannis?

Lazy Lion

Since we're playing "Crackpot Theory" today...

Mel has asserted countless times through the series that "There is power in a King's blood," and that this power was required to "wake the stone dragon(s)."

But her attempts to use that king's blood power always fall through. (Edric Storm smuggled out by Davos, she burns Rattleshirt instead of Mance, Jon switches the babies and sends Aemon away)

So what are the odds she finally realizes that Stannis is not AAR, and remembers that he has "King's blood" as well?

Mel has asserted countless times through the series that "There is power in a King's blood," and that this power was required to "wake the stone dragon(s)."

But her attempts to use that king's blood power always fall through. (Edric Storm smuggled out by Davos, she burns Rattleshirt instead of Mance, Jon switches the babies and sends Aemon away)

So what are the odds she finally realizes that Stannis is not AAR, and remembers that he has "King's blood" as well?

I don't think she will.

She might realise that, in none of the King's blood prophesies, does it mention the bearer has to be burned. Hopefully she won't burn anyone else, but if she does, i'd sooner guess Shireen than Stannis. Stannis seems to be shaping up as the architect of his own downfall - he will not bend until he breaks and all that.

The odds are hard to make. We don't know if she'll ever realize that Stannis is not AAR (I'm not even sure how you would prove that, since the nature of what that is or what it will do is intentionally kept vague).

I would ordinarily think that she would be smart enough to know that Stannis is the only major authority figure/claimant in Westeros who worships R'hllor (the northmen largely follow the Old Gods and both Tommen and Aegon follow the Seven).

Even if he isn't AAR, he can still be useful to her plans if only as a source of money, soldiers, castles, and other resources. She hasn't converted all of Stannis's soldiers yet and she probably never will. We only one insight into Melisandre's POV but I don't see her as the kind of person who just stabs people in the back like that; in her own way, she's pretty consistent and stable -- she might be wrong, or overzealous, or deluded at times, but she doesn't just kill people at random or betray people she works with.

I don't believe Stannis is AAR. In fact I don't believe that any of the characters will end up being AAR in the end; it's just an ages-old myth, with apparently a few different versions out there, garbled and distorted by time. GRRM has put a lot of stuff in these books to indicate that prophecies tend to be quite unreliable - even when they do come true they don't do so in any expected or predictable way. Anyway, if there IS an AAR figure in the series, I don't think it will be Stannis. He is known to be a fraud in this regard, tricked out with a fake Lightbringer that we all know to be a glamour. It astonishes me that Mel knows this better than anyone and is still clinging to the idea that Stannis is the hero, even after several times looking in the fires wanting to see AAR, "..and all the flames showed was Snow."

If there is to be an AAR, it will probably be Jon. When Mel realizes it's not Stannis it's going to be a game changer for both of them.

If Jon somehow lives (theres no doubt in my mind he will) there's no way he will let that happen

I hear she may try to sacrifice Shireen, but although I'm starting to warm a bit to Stannis, I can't see her trying to burn him - unfortunately, I think Shireen is a much more likely candidate. Stannis is not at the Wall atm, so it is difficult to discern how and where she'd get the opportunity; it would certainly make an interesting (if not, rather bizarre :P ) ending for Stannis though..

I think that means more him being consumed and destroyed by his quest to be king, not him literally burning to death.

Or an allusion to Jon perhaps - presuming his body is burnt at the Wall and he is "resurrected" in the flames? AAR, smoke, salt, fire and blood and all that - if so, it might be a very rude awakening to Stannis' hopes for the future :shocked:

It's possible. It would be quite the sudden shocker moment. She would have to do it discreetly, like sneaking him off out back and push him into some sort of fire pit, while all of his knights, guards and soldiers are not looking.

Otherwise, it might be tricky to tie the guy up and not have everyone else try and stop it :dunno: he is a king afterall, king's often have people around them very regularly, it isn't something that won't go unnoticed. She would really have to convince absolutly everyone, Selyse to the army, that it is a good idea somehow.

And who knows if they would. Even if it is spiritually ideal, there is the reality on what earth they would do without him. Shireeand Selyse would have nothing, family of the failed rebel king, no chance of marriage/remarriage to another high place. The army might get chaotic. Bannermen chaotic.

There is already chaos happening at NW, at the moment

Even if she realizes he isn't AAR, she will either discreetly/gradually switch sides, or sought after another that has other King's blood - Jon, Tommen or Marcella somehow, Sansa somehow, Jaime, etc

It's possible. It would be quite the sudden shocker moment. She would have to do it discreetly, like sneaking him off out back and push him into some sort of fire pit, while all of his knights, guards and soldiers are not looking.

She'd probably have to seduce or glamour him :stillsick:

Now we're on the subject, I'm not sure I'd want to know how she'd do it to be honest! :eek:

Archived