Melisandre will burn Stannis?

Lazy Lion

Edric wasn't the heir to the Throne, and, as I hope you understand by now, for Stannis, the Throne is more important than all the red faith shiz.

This is unbelievable. Theorizing just for the sake of having a theory. Tossing characterization out the window. It makes no sense to Stannis' objectives to sacrifice himself. It would be a horribly stupid action, incredibly stupid, and out of character.

Forum-user-with-an-awesome-"They-took-my-dragons!?"-avatar is right. It would be incredibly stupid.

However, he probably would sacrifice himself if it was for the Realm.

Forum-user-with-an-awesome-"They-took-my-dragons!?"-avatar is right. It would be incredibly stupid.

You know how he will sacrifice himself?

Leading armies against the threat to the realm. Not freaking jumping into a bonfire.

• 4 months later...

Y'know, since he does have that vision of a king with a flaming crown that consumes the wearer, I could see something like this happening. I don't think he'd want into a fire like a usual sacrifice or anything, but I could see him fatalistically walking into a hopeless battle doomed to set him afire. Maybe he does sit the Iron Throne, and chooses to not move when Dany comes, not to just be defiant to the end, but because he believes in some kind of sacrifice or that there needs to be a new Harren the Black in King's Landing so people will stop being idiots and go fight the Others.

Though I'm partial myself to him finding out Mel wants to sacrifice Shireen, and after saying something like "you want king's blood? I'll give you king's blood," he has a last stand against the Others in a burning tower that Mel uses to fuel some magic mumbo-jumbo. Preferably after securing Shireen's safety, giving instructions to his men (and probably Davos so the Onion Knight doesn't try and stand with him) on who to follow after he's gone, and after pretty much all the remaining crowns from the Wot5K are crushed (Dany's currently not a member of that struggle, so if the Lannister's claim falls and the Seastone chair crumbles), Stannis would be the last real claimant from that war, thus making the magic more powerful.

And maybe he catches Mance again, and to ensure that he maintains his lawful neutral rating, forces Mance to die with him and fuel the fire even more.

Archived