Cricket XX - Debutants Balls

Stubby

I'm going to feature (briefly) in a new documentary on the Bodyline series due to be shown during the MCG test this year on ABC in Ozieland (I manage the Australian National Film & Sound Archive's collection facilities so it's just a few shots of me pushing around trollies of old films and miraculously "finding" the relevant titles on the shelf in one of our vaults.). Can't vouch for the quality of the production yet but at least it'll be my 15 seconds...

I'm going to feature (briefly) in a new documentary on the Bodyline series due to be shown during the MCG test this year on ABC in Ozieland (I manage the Australian National Film & Sound Archive's collection facilities so it's just a few shots of me pushing around trollies of old films and miraculously "finding" the relevant titles on the shelf in one of our vaults.). Can't vouch for the quality of the production yet but at least it'll be my 15 seconds...

:cheers: If you learn of air-times, post 'em so we can watch.

Sachin is retiring

I wonder what his next step will be -- coaching or TV commentary?

Sachin should have retired a couple of years ago, he had one good year at around the age of 37 when he seemed to be almost back to his best but he's been pretty scratchy since then.

I'm still not sure as to whether he or Lara were the best players I've seen. Lara could absolutely murder you when he was on song but Tendulkar's game didn't seem to change much whether he was on 10 or 100. So I'd probably say Lara when he was in form and Tendulkar when Lara wasn't!

I fully expect Sachin's next job to be in TV.

Or politics.

I am still gutted that in the 24 years he graced our pitches I never saw him bat live.

Edit: DK that's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

I remember seeing Sachin bat once, when he made 214* at the SCG. He wasn't in imperious form then, that was the innings he decided he wasn't going to cover drive and so left a whole lot of hittable deliveries, but at no stage did it look like Australia were going to get a wicket. As good a runscorer he was, he had great discipline and patience when required too.

He has been such a phenomenal cricketer that anything he does after this I'm afraid is going to be an anticlimax...he already has the absolute adoration of a whole nation. He'll probably end up working in TV, I don't see him getting into the administration side of things especially given his reluctant spells at the captaincy.

Quite simply the best cricketer of all time (behind Bradman of course) if not for his ability then for handling the ridiculous pressure he's been under during his career.

I'd say Sachin was better, easily better, if you consider the fact that he is absolutely MILES ahead of Lara in ODI's (I am going by Wiki here). He was also a handy bowler I think

Re: Tendulkar vs Lara, it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. They were both the outstanding batsmen of their generation, who had to deal with ridiculous pressure from each of their countries (Tendulkar's was worse, although Lara's teams were worse). To my mind, Lara was the better attacking batsman, but Tendulkar had better technique and was more adaptable to different game situations.

If you really had to compare them I think Tendulkar comes out on top as the more complete and reliable batsman. His last few years may not have been that good, but in his prime he was the absolute model of consistency. For a number of years it seemed like he made a half century every innings and a century every couple of Tests.

Re: Tendulkar vs Lara, it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. They were both the outstanding batsmen of their generation, who had to deal with ridiculous pressure from each of their countries (Tendulkar's was worse, although Lara's teams were worse). To my mind, Lara was the better attacking batsman, but Tendulkar had better technique and was more adaptable to different game situations.

If you really had to compare them I think Tendulkar comes out on top as the more complete and reliable batsman. His last few years may not have been that good, but in his prime he was the absolute model of consistency. For a number of years it seemed like he made a half century every innings and a century every couple of Tests.

You're an Aussie?

I'd say his two innings against your lot in 1998 were two of the best ODI innings I've ever seen. Pretty much single handedly dragged a shitty Indian side to a victory.

On the comparison, I think the right word would be explosive. Both were very attacking when they wanted to be but Lara did it more 'explosively' where as Sachin was more methodic. Both great players either way and no one can take Lara's 400 away

You're an Aussie?

I'd say his two innings against your lot in 1998 were two of the best ODI innings I've ever seen. Pretty much single handedly dragged a shitty Indian side to a victory.

On the comparison, I think the right word would be explosive. Both were very attacking when they wanted to be but Lara did it more 'explosively' where as Sachin was more methodic. Both great players either way and no one can take Lara's 400 away

The back to back hundreds to win against Australia are the best ODI innings i have seen ever .

A good piece to know how difficult it really was to be Sachin http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/oct/10/sachin-tendulkar-india-batsman-retirement?CMP=twt_gu

I saw a comment a while back (following a detailed statsitical analysis of top batsmen including Tendulkar and Lara) which I thought was a reasonable summation of their relative quality: Lara at his best was a better batsman, but Tendulkar was much closer to his best for much more of the time.

I've never seen the point in trying to work out who the best batsman is, or was, or has been, though, other than as a bit of fun, since so much of it is context-dependent and therefore players (and scenarios) can't be fairly compared, and it baffles me how some Tendulkar fans (usually) take it so seriously.

I saw a comment a while back (following a detailed statsitical analysis of top batsmen including Tendulkar and Lara) which I thought was a reasonable summation of their relative quality: Lara at his best was a better batsman, but Tendulkar was much closer to his best for much more of the time.

I've never seen the point in trying to work out who the best batsman is, or was, or has been, though, other than as a bit of fun, since so much of it is context-dependent and therefore players (and scenarios) can't be fairly compared, and it baffles me how some Tendulkar fans (usually) take it so seriously.

I agree, I think statistics can only tell you so much. Things like the batting average are useful to get a general idea of a player's quality (for example, a batsman averaging over 50 for a prolonged period is probably a world class batsman), but I think some people give too significance to small differences in average when comparing players. I don't think the better player would necessarily always have the better average, although if the gap is big enough it probably is significant - for example if a player had a batting average 50% better than anyone else to ever play the game I think there's not much doubt that he was the best.

When comparing things like averages with Tendulkar and Lara while they both played, and were excellent, in the 90's when test bowling attacks were generally pretty strong Tendulkar's longevity allowed him to spend more of his career than Lara in a era when bowling attacks in general have been a lot weaker which has to be taken into account.

I've got a randomly assigned day off to use up some of my holiday time today so I'm watching the India Australia ODI. I haven't really watched much one day cricket for a while but George Bailey suddenly looks like a very good batsman.

Archived